• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    The pic does not come thru just black?

• Albert
    replied
    5A3CF5BF-51DD-4BE2-A03B-0D9B614EA6AF.jpeg Alright Yamato 80 gurus riddle me this. Why is is when I feed low pressure water back through the motor it’s flowing out this port on the bottom of the cylinders instead of out of the regular coolant passage that leads down to the pickup?
    Is this a pressure release that operates backwards when pressure is applied from the wrong direction ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Luc

Filling with water may not reveal a leak other source possible.
    Since you said you did get water in the boat when you were running it then somehow it got in? Assuming you did not get water splashed in when running and/or when you climbed in maybe it was a outside water pressure leak under way. Example making high speed left turns there is a lot of water pressure on the right side that could force water in a seam on the right sponson chine seam and/or on the rear chine seam. Look close there for any suspicious areas. This has happened to my hydro and it took a Holmes close look to see it.
    Pete

• Albert
    replied
    Well I put a couple inches of water in the boat today and found exactly 0 leaks.
    I’m no mr Holmes.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    Permatex motoseal for the crank case sealant.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Luc
    Where I meant and stated wrong was the sealant used for the crank case halves, what brand and type are you using?
    Thanks Pete

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    At the base gasket nothing but the gasket.
    At where the powerhead meets the tower just the gasket...was going to run a little sealant around the exhaust but the gasket removed showed no sign of leaking. (I know double standard compared to the hg sealant )

At the foot, I plan to run it once now that the flanges are in better shape If I still get a little water in the gearcase oil the sealant will come out.

I wonder why my photos are suddenly 90* off.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Nice and clean interested in results. What sealant are you using between block and crankcase?

• Albert
    replied
    E617BCCD-ECBF-495C-A5D1-EB3E1955403F.jpeg
    A good cleaning and this thing might finally be nice enough to earn its keep on the back of the Bezoat!

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    No issues with head gaskets on this motor so far. I guess it’s a habit I just picked up when doing my first turbo diesels with 24:1 compression ratio and an extra 25psi of atmosphere being shoved in the cylinders the head gaskets on them needed all the help they could get.
    As I said I’ve just always used it on metal head gaskets. I can see that it would probably cost you a very small amount of compression, but I think it’s worth it when you pull a head and immediately see at a glance if any part of the gasket has had a leak.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Have you had trouble with leaking head gasket so you do the Cu coat to prevent?
    I tried that Cu stuff once and it does have some thickness and noticed a small drop in compression psi, found not needed. I have never blown a head gasket, I torque in 4 steps.

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    It’s an oe .5mm, I sprayed it with permatex copper hg spray. I do it to every metal head gasket I install. Two coats and let it tack up then install.

• ZUL8TR
    commented on 's reply
    Luc the OEM head gasket is aluminum the one pictured looks different what is it? The OEM offer 0.5 and 1.0 mm thickness, what thickness is the one pictured? I use the OEM 0.5 mm. The head bolt studs are in the water coolant and protrude thru the head and subject to leaking at the washer and nut if not sealed well. I use a sealant under the stud washers to prevent water leaks.
    Pete

• Albert
    replied
    Now we’re getting somewhere.

Edit: It has been suggested I get copper washers and fresh hardware for the head. I think that’s a good idea will order on Monday.
    Last edited by Albert; 05-14-2022, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    commented on 's reply
    I think the seal retainer was knocked loose when I was trying to removed the seized foot last year. It required quite a lot of persuasion.
    Either way it’s in now and I just pressed a fresh seal in before the baby had time to wake up from her nap.
    Also took a few minutes to shape the epoxy that had all winter to cure around the water pickup on the foot.
    I like your grease idea and may put a little sealant on the foot side of the foot gasket as I don’t have a mill to her it as flattened out.

When I retire I’ll have my own mill and lathe…in another 30 years .
Working...
X