Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock 321 to run 20 without a restrictor at deeper depth (stolen from BOD thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else to be concerned about . If the 321 can run in the 20 & C & 25R classes and we make pumping water a non-issue by allowing opening up intake holes or an external water pick up or whatever other cure we come up with. Based on the test data and a couple of early season records set, the 321 might ,in a very short time period, obsolete all the other Yamato's just by dominance. At what cost to the sport?

Comment

Originally posted by csh-2z View Post
      Something else to be concerned about . If the 321 can run in the 20 & C & 25R classes and we make pumping water a non-issue by allowing opening up intake holes or an external water pick up or whatever other cure we come up with. Based on the test data and a couple of early season records set, the 321 might ,in a very short time period, obsolete all the other Yamato's just by dominance. At what cost to the sport?
      That is not going to happen! The 321 has issues beyond its cooling issue. The restricted exhaust and intake make it quieter. I'll take a 302 any day.

Comment

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not surprised RPM's were higher, assuming all else is equal as the 321 has a slightly different torque/RPM curve than the 302.

The 302 produces max torque sooner than the 321, and max HP at a lower RPM also.

I gathered up the torque and RPM curves as posted on the Yamato UK site a while back:

The 321 makes max torque at 6,000 RPM where the 302 does at 5,500 RPM.

321 max HP is at 6,800 RPM and 302 is 6,600 RPM.

Theoretically, the 302 should have more low end grunt since it's torque curve is fatter and lower in the RPM range according to the published torque curves.

The 321 should be a faster top speed engine due to higher RPM power figures. The 321 makes max power just 800 RPM above max torque. The 302 has to stretch its torque curve 1100 RPM to max power (and at 200 RPM less than the 321's at max HP).

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I dunno Grandpa, they're both rated at the same HP...and HP is HP. Since their torque and RPM curves are slightly different, that just means they won't (or shouldn't) run equal with the same prop.

• GrandpaRacer
        GrandpaRacer commented
        Editing a comment
        The fun part of boat racing is you can try different ideas. But given a choice between an engine with a boxed intake and a 2 foot longer narrow exhaust path(321) vs one with neither(302), I will take the one with out.

The way I get Page 3 to display on my new Windows 10 computer is to RIGHT click on the Page 3 button and then to select ''Open in new window'' when the drop-down menu appears.

Comment

FYI,
        Big Rapids MI, CSH with a 321 tower (Joe Pater's 321 tower, my 321 powerhead) Stephen Lisisus driving and 3 laps of testing and 6 laps of racing. running at 3/4. By changing the exhaust snout on the 321 tower and replacing with the 302 snout (Whatever the proper technical term, to me it's a snout, brass fitting on the back of the tower), we were able to keep engine no higher than 385 degrees, and Steve drove hard the second heat, taking second overall. I believe some of my testing did not reveal the same results due to the propellor that I was using. At this time, further testing is needed, and being conducted, but I don't think we need to add any modifications to the motor other than changing the exhaust port.
        MD
        When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

• Ram4x4
          Ram4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          We'll have to see what it does at 1/2".

• guedo499
          guedo499 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did this for a heat at Black Lake - I was able to pump for four laps of 1.25 mile at 15/16 of an inch deep and passed the finish line at 415 degrees

I used the same setup at Lawrence (same record course) with a 302 and never went about 360 degrees for the race.

In testing (but not on race water), with the small-hole-fitting, I was able to test my base-line setup (the day before Black Lake) on a slightly smaller course (egg shaped 1 mile) and my notes say I was getting to temps of approximately 380/390.

• guedo499
          guedo499 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry... to clarify the testing was with a 321.

I also saw the run at Black Lake as a wild success for me as I had not finished a heat a year prior to that.

Many people don't realize that the 302/321 have three water outlets - the third is to cool the tuner. I believe when we are putting a bigger orface on the fitting, you're allowing the exhaust an easier path out vs having back pressure push exhaust back into the motor, messing up the cooling. I think it is the a step in the correct direction, but still doesn't solve the overall problem of a stock motor having cooling issue.

Pink is Temp. Lake Lawrence, 1.25 Mile, 4 laps -

Race: OSY (Running CSH setup)
        Boat: Falcon
        Propeller: Baseline
        Depth: 15/16 deep
        Motor: 302 #49
        DA: Appx 1250ft
        Total time: Appx 4:42,5

Screenshot_1.png
        Attached Files
        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• guedo499
          guedo499 commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and yes Sutter, K.LEW, we're coming for you! Only problem is, my boat fell from a 20' ceiling when the pulley system I hang my boats was accidentally untied... version #0023 of the Falcon, soon to come.

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow John, thank you for sharing so much good data! I can see that we need to get a Mychron!

...................John Adams, any plans to have your SORC Commissioners present a proposal to the SORC to implement a external water pick up to help with the lifelong water/cooling problems of our Yamato engines, especially the NEW model Yamato 321. Talking on Hydroracer is great but it takes momentum from key members of the SORC and racing community to MAKE IT HAPPEN. The 20ssh class is the one that has the most impact being at 1/2" height. But even the other classes using the Yamato 321 struggle to both cool and get enough water through them under racing conditions. Since this is the motor now available from Yamato we need to make it function in the classes it is legal in without fear of burning it up.......you seem to be a voice of reason..

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, Thanks for the confidence Matt. OK, I will write a proposed rule change for 300ss and give it to the Region 10 Commissioners. I will also write one for CS and 20SS but it may be different than the 300ss one. I need to give it some more thought. John Adams

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          John............not sure the problem exists in the 300ssh class because of the low low transom height. It is more the other classes the Yamato runs in. That external pick up set up you have there is a easy fix and cheap....

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          For 300ss I will likely only propose a change for the 321.

I sit on the 300 advisory board or whatever it's called, and I don't see the need to change any rules for the class. There is no problem keeping the engine cool in the 300 class with the 2 bladed propellor. We also have a rule freeze in place for that class, so we can start the debate. We are testing again next weekend, and I don't believe we need to change the rules for an internal water pickup. Ill provide the data to show that changing the exhaust port is enough. This has been proven in testing in Big Rapids over 3 heats testing, 6 laps racing.
        When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Hum............i know they obviously have overheating issues in CSH/20ssh/CSR/25ssr. I am not sure about 300ssh as i don't really keep track of those guys and gals. But if they are also having issues buried at 1 3/8th below the bottom then that's really a bad situation!

• Joe J
          Joe J commented
          Editing a comment
          My 321 runs at 298 degrees (+\-) in 300 ssh. There is no need to change anything.

Joe Johnson

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          Joe Johnson, How well does the 321 perform in the 300ss class compared to the 302? We don't run 300ss in region 10.
          John Adams

Since it's October before an election, read my lips....(LOL) There are NO ISSUES OF OVERHEATING in the 300SSH class. None reported. The heating issues are when we take them out of the 300 class and use in CSH, 20SSH and other hydro classes. I have not had a heating issue when it ran in Jesup in CSR. We have seen heating when at 1/2 but have figured it out. I would not recommend any rule changes at this point. feel free to email me directly at hydrodriver226M@outlook and i'll give you my cell to discuss.

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike.............not sure how you figured out a solution to running 321 and model 302 at 1/2inch height in 20ssh????? Not even the TOP 302 drivers can run at 1/2inch. They run at 5/8inch and barely cool the engines at that height!!! My Yamato 102 and Yamato 80 can run at 1/2inch and barely push water but these models are outdated and should be in the conversation. The Yamato 321 and Model 302 need to comfortably run at the approved class heights in 20ssh and CSH. Perhaps the SORC should lower the 20ssh class height to 3/4inch to match CSH and at least give the model 321 a fighting chance???

• Ram4x4
          Ram4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike, here's what you posted on the testing:

"FYI,
          Big Rapids MI, CSH with a 321 tower (Joe Pater's 321 tower, my 321 powerhead) Stephen Lisisus driving and 3 laps of testing and 6 laps of racing. running at 3/4. By changing the exhaust snout on the 321 tower and replacing with the 302 snout (Whatever the proper technical term, to me it's a snout, brass fitting on the back of the tower), we were able to keep engine no higher than 385 degrees, and Steve drove hard the second heat, taking second overall. I believe some of my testing did not reveal the same results due to the propellor that I was using. At this time, further testing is needed, and being conducted, but I don't think we need to add any modifications to the motor other than changing the exhaust port.
          MD"

This testing was done with the larger opening in the plug/snout at 3/4 inch depth on one boat with a mashup engine (321 tower, 302 powerhead) a total of 9 laps. There is no reference to trying it at 1/2 inch depth. You also state that numbers were different when a different prop was used, but do not say if it was better, or worse. Several in the past have stated around 410 degrees is the sticking point for the engine. Is 385 degrees a "good" number, or is that relatively safe, but marginal? Is it preferable to have that number lower?

To me this indicates it may or may not work for everyone since height, hull, prop, kick out, etc all make a difference. How many different set ups, hulls, props, etc can reasonably be tested in a reasonable time frame?

Let's assume for a second this plug/snout change is the fix that gets into the rule book. What do we do when/if someone's boat/settings combo doesn't work with the 321 in 20ssh, or CSH? Does that mean that new driver is now stuck changing props and settings, etc until he/she can get it to cool? In other words, they're chasing a cooling set up vs chasing a performance set up...right back to square one.

Unless a significant number of combinations can be tested and proven, I still advocate for the pick up tube as a legal option for all Yamatos in any class and here's why:

It will work at 1/2 inch, it will work at 3/4 inch, it will work, really for any depth. It is simple, it is cheap, it can be put into the rules quickly and easily.

For 300, consider this: A driver buys a sealed 321. At 1 3/8 depth, it cools fine, but same driver can legally run that engine in 20ssh and/or CSH by setting height and popping on a 3-blade prop. If the pick up tube is not allowed in 300, now the change over requires removing/installing the pick up between 300 and the other classes as well as prop. Would holes drilled in the cavitation plate, or other portions of the tower/foot for CSH or 20 render that sealed 321 illegal for 300 (assuming no tube is allowed for 300)?

The rule I would propose is: Water pick up tubes are permitted on Yamato engines for any class, but not required. Tube input must be plumbed into the auxiliary port. Drilling into, modifying, or plumbing the tube into any other portion of the tower or power head is not permitted. Placement and size if the pickup tube is up to the driver.

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Ram 4x4................your external water pick up solution is basically in line with John Adams idea. I agree completely. It will assure 'all' Yamato models will cool/push water at any of our class heights! Make sure you PUSH the idea upon your SORC rep and MAKE SURE it gets on the National Meeting Agenda or else you are just pissing in the wind here on Hydroracer.......

Thanks DTw, this makes it clear. So allowing cooling water into this external port would make the 321 useful in CS andl 20ss as well as being able to run unmodified in 300ss. This would make every one happy. ( probably not &#128512

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          I will propose for CS, 20ss, and 25ssR classes that all Yamato engines can be cooled using this external port. The pick up hole in the snout must be left unmodified.

• ronronx
          ronronx commented
          Editing a comment
          I will take that probably not to mean me on several levels and wear it as a badge of honor:-). Having fun with it no matter the outcome.
          Best Regards,
          Ron M.

Drop down to 3/4" for 20ssh? Totally against the idea. Don't like 1/2" for that matter. Adding an external pickup? Never had a problem cooling my Y80 at 0 height back in the day, still run it above the bottom for kilo runs and no problems cooling, there's a lot more than just water at play when it comes to cooling a 2 stroke engine. If we are going to drop the engine further we will be at CSH height, why not just get rid of 20ssh altogether and make the 321 the only engine, CSH/CSR, and run more heats? This is about for 321 owners wanting more water time. The time has come to take a serious look at the engine/class structure and number of heats run in each class. I've said it before, par down to 4 classes with current production motors and increase the number of heats run in each class. Nice and simple instead of this convoluted mess we currently have in stock. It's a turnoff for potential new participants.

Comment

• Ram4x4
          Ram4x4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I'm advocating the pick up tube. No changes required for any other specs of any of the classes. Just bolt the thing on (if you want, or need to) and forget about cooling issues. Don't want a tube, then don't use one.

It's not just about 321 owners wanting more water time, it's about 321's being able to run in the classes at all without burning up the engine. Apparently 302's have issues, although it seems to a lesser degree, but the 302 isn't made anymore.

All Yamatos should be allowed to use a tube if the driver wants or needs it. That fixes the issues, end of story.

Are there any other engines in any of the stock classes that use the same type of 'pumping' the Yamatos use, or do they all have impellers and cooling issues are basically zero?

Any notions of making changes to number of classes, getting rid of some, etc is a whole different discussion and opens a much, much bigger can of worms.
          Last edited by Ram4x4; 10-07-2016, 06:53 AM.

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          The Y80 has 2 pick up holes in the snout while all the others have only 1 water pick up hole. Lee Sutter tested a modified 302 with 2 pick up holes and it did not solve the problem. We were all surprised!
          All stock motors other than Yamato have water pumps and cooling is not an issue.

• stockc
          stockc commented
          Editing a comment
          All Yamatos should be allowed to use a tube if the driver wants or needs it. That fixes the issues, end of story.

AMEN!!!

In pursuing this simple, inexpensive and highly effective remedy, lets not overlook that it needs to be addressed in both stock and pro categories.

Now back to rebuilding my stuck 302 from last race at Yelm :-(((

Deleted post. I have an answer to my question or concern.

Last edited by Big Don; 10-18-2016, 01:23 PM.
        "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

I have tried to stay out of this since the start figuring that this was the latest in the "offseason" panic button topics. But since it seems to have some legs and the idea keeps getting presented to modify the existing stock water pickup process on all Yamato's, why stop at that? If the idea of modifying the Yamato's water pickup process is acceptable (and I'm not saying it is the way to go, just taking it to the next step) why not go all in and fix the other problem the Yamato's have - handling with the club foot. Modified has already solved both problems (cooling and tracking) by putting a nose cone and shaping the foot. Why not take that tested and proven process and move it to Stock. All the internals are the same, and I'm sure there can be specs created for dimensions and what can or can't be done. There goes all your cooling concerns at all current heights. And we would not need to change "Motor Height Safety Rule" for parity or engine longevity reasons.

And yes, I realize that some will jump on this as not "Stock" and should never been considered. I don't disagree with the "not Stock" part. But if we are considering other options, then this one should go on the table as well.

Brian 10s

Comment

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            Brian, agree all options should be looked at. Does not mean I'm in favor of them, just agreeing everything should be looked at and considered.

• Ram4x4
            Ram4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            As I've mentioned before, "stock" isn't "stock". It's..."relatively" stock. The closest thing we have to true stock is the 300 class. In CSH, I can run any 3-blade prop I want...that's not "stock." Although we can't add the nose cone, it is legal to have the foot "smoothed" (for lack of better term)...that's not stock.

I'm in favor of the pick up tube for the cooling, but not the foot. The foot isn't causing engines to burn up or break. Has anyone had any serious crashes because the stock handling is that bad? If so, then maybe throw it on the table.

So with that said above. I'll jump on the other side for this post.

Why do we have to do anything?

If the 321 engine is faster than the 302, I'm taking peoples word that it is. So what that in order to get the 321 to pump you have to run a little lower right now (until the Pater of the world figure it out) wouldn't that keep the parity close then? If the 302 and the 321 are close on speed if the 321 has to run a 1/4 lower to pump is that a bad thing so every 302 driver does not have to buy 321 kits or buy a 321 engine?

Remember, this is coming from a guy who still has his drivers running Yamato 80's and really does not have a clue about the 302's and 321's.
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• Big Don
            Big Don commented
            Editing a comment
            And stop implying the SORC made a rash decision. We sat on that decision for over a year before approving and making them legal, no one would have had a place to race in 20 or C if we hadn't.

You of all people know these decision are never black and white. Make one decision and it impacts another.

• Matt Dagostino
            Matt Dagostino commented
            Editing a comment
            Big Don..........i have been the voice for lowering both the CSH height to 3/4inch which our SORC Commission got done several years ago and i always wanted to do the same for the 20ssh class to assist the Yamato 302 in competing at a class height it can survive. Nothing changed in my position. As you know i stood up and fought for this years ago and got shot down by several of you guys protecting the Yamato 80. So look what happened in the end. The Sidewinder got approved and here we sit. I support either a external water pick up and/or lowering the height. Whatever works!! But doing nothing would suck. I also believe that if you and the rest of the SORC (if you choose to be on the Commission again, which i like to see you on) choose to lower the 20ssh class height then the Sidewinder height should be lowered in proportion for parity purposes...If i recall at Hinton the 2 fastest qualifiers in 20ssh both had Yamato 80's. That's all good. But at the end of the day it would be nice if the 302's and 321's could operate without burning up at whatever class height you guys consider.........My concern is that without a unified front the issue will get bogged down with arguing and just get kicked to the curb for another year while 302 and 321 engines continue to overheat in 20ssh and possibly in other classes. I have always tried to look at history and see what works and doesn't work! Lowering CSH height solved many problems including burning up engines. I believe it would help in 20ssh also. Not sure if it is the best solution but it may be a start??
            Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 10-19-2016, 05:12 PM.

• Ram4x4
            Ram4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think it's been proven that the 321 is faster than the 302? Last I heard the consensus is they are about even. Besides, time says it doesn't matter...302's aren't made anymore. We have to move to the 321 and it is suffering with a cooling issue.

Some information from my brother’s 20 ssh testing and experience.

With the little testing Joe has done with the 321, without doing anything fancy he has been able to make it cool at ¾ inch below the bottom and run at 302 speeds. The 302 and 80 have already been proven to cool at ½ inch below the bottom. We believe the three motors and the Sidewinder (running at prescribed height) are at the best parity running at those heights ie 321 at ¾”, 302 at ½” and 80 at ½”.

Consider what would happen if the Yamato heights were to be made ¾ inch below the bottom. Based on our testing, setting the height at ¾ inch would most likely make the 321 and the Sidewinder the preferred motors with the Sidewinder having a slight advantage, especially on long courses. It would for sure obsolete the 80 and the 302 from being able to effectively compete at the Nationals level in the 20 ssh class.

Since the 321 can be made to cool at ¾ inch depth and be at parity with the other motors, why would we want to change anything? Currently, the 20 class has excellent motor parity with the existing rules. Just choose to run your 321 at ¾ inch – no rule change necessary.

As a side note, Joe did win a 20 ssh national championship with his 302 set about or slightly lower than ¾ inch below the boat bottom.

Comment

Matt, agree you have been trying to get the 20 height lowered for years. Yes some of us and countered what you were proposing in Seattle. My argument was we ran at Grass Lake Nationals in some of the roughest finals water in a long time and ran at max height and did not have a cooling issue. That was our argument. Were we protecting our investment, maybe somewhat because, it is possible to run an 80 engine at max height. We worked our tails off in doing so. Are there risk, Yes. But that is the decision every one of us has to make at every race. Same as making the decision when to run your best prop vs your 2nd, 3rd wheels. I took it as, hey lets penalize the guys working hard at this and level the playing field. I could make the same argument against you back then, that you were trying to handicap us because you couldn’t figure it out and we did. I could make the same argument now. You said you have a 321 on order or have one, I could make a statement that you’re looking for an easy way to figure out the pumping issue. My point is, before you jump on your high horse and start accusing us of protecting the Yamato 80, you were one of us a year ago protecting it against the Sidewinder. I just think it’s very ironic that now that you are going with a 321 your willing to make comments about protecting the Yamato 80’s. It honestly pisses me off.

I agree the 321 appear to be running hotter. I agree it needs to be looked at closely. I agree we need guys that have run them and have info to share it with us…guys like Pater, Peters, J.M. Kelly, Lewis, etc. I want to make a decision based on solid info and try to get it right the first time.

For the record, I was the one that made the motion to make the 321 legal. Because we had no choice. Based on my memory, in 2013 there were still 302’s available. By 2014 there were no 302’s (could be wrong there may have been a few) and the first 321 was in the US. I believe a few drivers ran the 321 in the 302 class in 2014. I personally witnessed this at 2 MHRA races. In their opinion and in mine the engines were very compatible in the 300 class. We then had Joe Pater do some testing in the Fall of 2014. In 2015 the 321 was here even though we were struggling to get them imported. Since we could not get any 302’s and the only thing we could get were the 321’s we needed to approve the engine. We had stifled any growth in the Yamato classes for 2 years and guys we waiting for engines. We know the engine was different and that we may have to address performance issues but I don’t think anyone saw that the engines would run hotter.

Implying the Sidewinder got approved because we didn’t lower the height on the 80”s?

For the record the reason the 80’s were the fasted in the elims at Hinton. All the fast 302’s & Sidewinders were prequalified. Along with that, I know J. Michael, Lewis, and clan out West are fast and were not there. Did you watch the finals. Holt & Pater were faster than the 80’s. Donny nailed 2 starts, drove his butt off, has probably the best boat in this modern era for 20.(Just my plug for Pavlick boats) Pater hits a log and finishes with 2 blades, Holt sits in second because he knows he has it won. The 80’s are not the fastest. The only reason we have not switch is because I don’t have the time to switch to 302’s. We know to be one of the top guys will probably take weekends upon weekend of testing to catch the fast 302’s. I just don’t have the time. (BTW, we have 3 – 302’s sitting waiting in the basement)

The easiest thing for me to do and probably safest, along with the cheapest is to lower or put an external pick up on. It would make my life a lot easier. But is that the right thing to do? Pater, Holt, J. Michael, Lewis, etc have it figured out in 302. Do we handicap them? Is that fair to the guys that have done the work to figure it out? If the fast guys come on here and tell me (us) that it’s the right thing to do, I’d feel a lot better knowing we didn’t just give everyone a path to easy street.

You know there will not be a unified front, there seldom is. That is why the more data we have by several people, the better and easier the decision will be.

​Ram4x4....I also believe based on the info that has been shared with me that the 321 is faster, lowering the 321 ¼ inch to pump and not the 302, and the 302 & 321 are pretty equal. If this is not true I’ve been given bad info. So what I’m hearing is if both engines are running at equal heights the 321 will be faster. So putting an external water pick up on or lowering them all to ¾ or 1 inch, we have just made the 321 the engine of choice. That is why we need as much info as we can get. Oh and if we do that, we had better make sure we can get a 100 321 conversion kits.

Don Allen

Comment

• Ram4x4
              Ram4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not discounting your info, just going by what I've heard and been told as well. I did post some time a while back that I looked at the torque and RPM curves of the 321 and the 302 and by all accounts, the 321 'should' be a higher top end engine, but that's strictly by the numbers and on paper. Too many other factors, like prop, hull, weight, kick out angle, etc probably negate any of that. I have no doubt that people like Joe Pater, Joe Silvestri, or any of the other well known, long time racers that consistently run in the front will continue to do so even if we allowed a pick up tube on all Yamatos.

You asked if we should handicap those guys? I don't see it as a handicap to them at all. My perspective on this is from the growth point of view and moving forward with the new, available engine. I guess I would have to ask, how long is the sport going to continue to juggle the rules in an attempt to maintain status quo for old engines that haven't been available for years at the potential cost of keeping new people out of certain classes? How enthusiastic do you think new drivers are going to be if they keep burning up their new 321's?

If the 321 is indeed faster than the 302 at 1/2inch and setting it to 3/4 inch makes parity, I have no issue with that, but it still doesn't address the cooling issues across the board. That's great a few folks have managed to 'figure out' a solution with their hull, but if we were to take their engine, their prop and put it on, say my hull at the same tuck angle, will it work? Others have already mentioned that even on the set ups that didn't burn up at 3/4inch, the temps were a good 40 degrees above what a 302 does. That's narrowing the margin quite a bit. I guess my point is; do we relegate everyone to figure out a setup that cools, or allow them a real opportunity to work on being competitive in the speed and performance category? This entire scenario doesn't affect any other brand/make of engine.

Just so it's clear, I don't even have a dog in this fight...I have a 102 and so far it's working fine in CSH and 500 Mod. I will get a sealed 321 for 300, but we already know it cools ok at the 300 class depth.

As for handicapping anyone or calling it easy street, I don't see ensuring a motor can cool as handing anyone any sort of easy street, but keeping someone from burning up an engine who is just trying to run n a class according the current rules I see as a good thing.
          Working...
          X