No announcement yet.

BSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like most things, reality probably lies somewhere in between both extremes.

I think it's a good idea to focus on promoting the sport and individual classes. Seems like 300ssH is going well. A big part of that is that we make it easier for people to race. In support of someone's previous comment about promoting BSH, how about a package with a boat, motor , and prop. Trolian's BSH boats work well and are out of the same mold. I think a rig like that could be attractive to newer racers.

I think it is also helpful to keep sharing info and educating people. In the last month, we got countless questions on where to buy spark plugs, shear pins, oil, etc etc etc. All information that we should make readily acceptable to people. Also tips on tuning a SW carb, or timing a motor helps keep people running well and spending more time racing instead of tinkering or fixing.

Comment

• spud62w
      spud62w commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the only thing that should be changed on the 300 class is how long you can stay in it. I think that there should be x amount of years you can race the class then move on to another.

• Ram4x4
      Ram4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I disagree with that Spud. Why should 300 be limited? With everyone running the sealed motor then clearly the focus is much more on driving skill and what better way to learn that than to run in a class where the winners don't have some high-dollar motor that's killing everyone? It's hard to gauge your driving skills in the other classes because there's more involved.

The only downside I personally see on 300 is the price of the engine. Twice what you can get a CSH or CSR ready 102 or 302 for. I understand the lack of having to also chase props at $300+ a pop, but for the price of the sealed engine alone, you could get a good 102 or 302, a couple props and have the foot shaped and still have a chunk of change left.

One idea that someone out west talked about in another thread that sounds good is to run one of the classes, like maybe CSR or CSH but only allow rookies, or racers that have never won a race to drive in it...I think they called theirs "Novice C". Rookies only, and then limit that class to a couple years or something. That way us new guys and those still early in the game can all run together and at least be competitive with each other. Nothing says we still can't register and drive in the "regular C" classes too, but at least a "Novice" race the newbies get a chance.

If all this racing was for money and such, ok, but it's not, it's for fun and bragging rights and a novice race or some such would go along way to keep the excitement up.

If the committees or drivers aren't up for doing anything like that, then at least divide up the heats by putting the "real" competitors in one and the rookies and such in the other (since the majority of the classes are two-heat racing).

I was lucky at Franklin to make the CSH finals each day, but only because there were jumpers or a DQ, not because I was fast or skilled. I can tell you, myself and the other rookies all sort of grimaced when our names were called for our heats with the likes of Joe Pater, Dana Holt, etc in the heat with us. At least if the rookies faced each other in a heat, the winners and placers will "earn it" and feel good about it, not luck into it. Winning or placing because someone jumps or DQ's is not how anyone wants to win.

The most fun I've had so far is running with the other rookies, we bond with each other over that because none of us are anywhere near the front, so we only have each other to really "race" with.

Sure, the goal is to become competitive overall, but that takes time, so why not set up something where the rookies can be competitive, if only with each other. It takes a fair bit of time and effort to get, set up, and field a boat. It takes time and effort to travel and pack and tow and all that, but how enthusiastic will rookies be in a year, or two years (or more) when they keep spending the money and time and effort to just show up and run at the back of the pack? I suspect there's been more than a few who've quit the game early on for those reasons. Let's give them a reason to keep racing.
      Last edited by Ram4x4; 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM.

Originally posted by 53-W View Post
    The sidewinder is a piece of sh$$!!! That was forced down are throats! They flat out lied at the national meetings. It breaks, runs extremely inconsistent and is worse running then any Hot Rod ever. They spent almost a million dollars to make the H-R look great!! I will Thank them for that.

The only ones that run good are personal friends and they don't even finish every heat!

So how many cranks have the broken in the new sidewinders this year alone??

Takes a lot of balls to sell your friends a defective poorly engineered engine and then make them pay for the upgrades when it does not run correctly and break.

Lie to SORC about being engines available and parts for sale. Take peoples money for over a year and not send them a engine.

All you that defend them, you all need to wake up. The sidewinder destroyed A-B classes in stock outboard and the majority of the SORC clapped while they let them do it!!

53w

Ok lets break down this very well thought out and factual statement.

"The Sidewinder is a piece of sh$$"
    -One angry persons opinion with no background in marine engineering.

"Forced down our throats"
    -The sidewinder was voted into Stock Outboard by a commission of your peers because they felt it was the best thing for boat racing.

"They lied at the national meeting"
    -Do you have any documentation on this statement?

"It breaks, runs extremely inconsistent and is worse running then any Hot Rod ever"
    - It is a high performance racing engine, racing engines will break, just like any Mercury, Yamato, or Hot Rod. Since early development years we have had no consistency issues. Were you around when the first Hot Rod was introduced? If you are familiar with research and development you know there is trial and error, nothing is perfect at first, as long as you fix your problems quick then there is no issue, and I feel any reasonable person understands that. And lets be real there were very few good running Hot Rods left in the country. For a new guy to try and compete with a Hot Rod was near impossible.

"They spent almost a million dollars to make the Hot Rod look great"
    - Are you Racing Outboards accountant? So you do not really know how much they spent. Once again a false statement made with no factual evidence.

"Takes peoples money for over a year and not send them an engine"
    -Have you placed an order for an engine? Did you send them money?... Once again No. Racing Outboards does not take deposits because they could not promise a delivery date to avoid this exact problem you mis stated.

If you are going to bash the product, at least have credible facts to back it up.

Thanks.
    Last edited by racer3j; 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM.
    Dylan Runne

Comment

• mike ross
      mike ross commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Ed Hearn's firm is looking for new lawyer's I think you would make a good one. Straight up fact!!!
Working...
X