BSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSR

I do believe that APBA ruined BSR! Just would like to know how other racers feel about this class.

It was once one of the best stock classes in APBA, bringing the crowds to the shore line for a great show. Now it is just another neutered class, like most of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by fu-lynn View Post
      I do believe that APBA ruined BSR! Just would like to know how other racers feel about this class.
      I do believe that most of Region 7 would agree with you!!!

Comment

I think the side fin Runabouts had something to do with the class dying...not the only thing, but part of it.
        hard to groom a new set of drivers when they don't get to start out rolling up in ASR. I've never run a side fin. don't care if it is faster, it is way too much fun to roll up....
        ----
        Graham18ce
        Team Canada ThunderCat
        Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
        Twitter @FralickRacing
        Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

I believe part of the reason that BSR has seen some decline is that it is very hard to steer a new guy into the class and have them be competitive. For no other reason than experience. Although the boat counts may be lower than the past the competition level has remained very high. Learning how to roll up and be as fast and efficient as the guys who have been racing it for 20-30 years is very hard to do. I have been racing BSR for 6 years with very fast equipment, and am lucky to win a heat racing against guys such as Hearn, Holt, Trolian etc. Needless to say it is a very humbling class to race, which is why I believe it is a hard class to grow. However with all that said I will always believe it is one of the best classes in stock outboard.
          Dylan Runne

Comment

Dylan I agree with you. Experience is hard to beat. The other key reason those guys win along with you and your family is the dedication and hard work put into it. As much as it pains me to say this being a hydro guy, BSR is one of my favorite classes to watch. A driver can win one heat and finish 6th the next which shows how competitive it is. Heard you guys are coming to Constantine this weekend? Hopefully you can beat those guys you list.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

• racer3j
              racer3j commented
              Editing a comment
              We'll be there, we're going to attempt to have a better showing this year than last year at Constantine.

Question..... When did BSR / H change from 20 cu.in. to 15 cu.in. ?? And, what was the reason?? The 15 cu. in. Hot Rods used to be called 15 SSR / H. This happened when I was "out" of racing for awhile.

If any body remembers, in 1973, the Stock Commission approved the 15 cu. in. Hot Rod for A Stock. This was back when the APBA Annual Meeting was in November. So I bought a 15 cu. in. Hot Rod thinking that it was going to be the A Stock motor. But then, several months later, it was determined that all the steps for approving a new motor were not done. So that is when the 15 SS Hydro and Runabout classes were started. So, of course, the A Stock motor continued to be the Mercury KG-4 and Mk-15.

So that is why I am curious the 15 SS class became "B".

Best Regards To All,

Dean Hobart..... Boat Racing Since 1962,
            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Great question Dean. I'm interested in the answer also. Hope it's a good one and lengthy.

Comment

The 15ssh/R classes were renamed bsh/bsr after the1991 season and the real 20ci "B" class was killed. Reason was at time the participation was anemic. The 20ci hot rod was dominant but hardly enough to keep class viable. Funny now the SW is 20ci (restricted) and dominant over the 15ci hot rod. May as well take restrictor out and let it truly be 20ci again. Because the 15 hot rod will never win again on national level

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                  The 15ssh/R classes were renamed bsh/bsr after the1991 season and the real 20ci "B" class was killed. Reason was at time the participation was anemic. The 20ci hot rod was dominant but hardly enough to keep class viable. Funny now the SW is 20ci (restricted) and dominant over the 15ci hot rod. May as well take restrictor out and let it truly be 20ci again. Because the 15 hot rod will never win again on national level
                  Thanks Dana.........................................
                  sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Who is fu-lynn?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                      Who is fu-lynn?
                      I can't help you Matt. However, Hal Kelly had a Runabout design and plans for a FOO - LING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• dwhitford
                        dwhitford commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup, I built one in 2013. It's still ''brand new'', hanging up in my garage.

• Matt Dagostino
                        Matt Dagostino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dean........i am thinking it is 'Captain Chicken Lynn Midget' from my region 4. I always get a kick out of the folks that don't post there name. I ran ASR for a few years as a kid. Clark-craft boat and ole KG-4 with a leaky gas tank. BSR was not in the cards. But it was cool to see Maloof, Nuch, Dewald, Simmons, DiFebo, etc etc mix it up....
                        Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM.

• jwmaddrell
                        jwmaddrell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        matt-you forgot the king of bu--stover hire

I'm not sure why people always want to tip-toe around a topic instead of just calling a spade a spade. Far too many of the young kids today don't want to stick with anything unless it takes zero effort to have success. You tell them that it will take a few years to gain the skills that it takes to become a solid, competitive boat racer and they will quickly look for something much simpler. Our own kids tend to become better than average drivers because they are directly affected by seeing how much work Dads put into the sport. I also see signs from many parents today that they think the more money you pour into something makes success inevitable. Enough.........

Comment

Originally posted by MITCH MEYER View Post
                        It was once one of the best stock classes in APBA, bringing the crowds to the shore line for a great show. Now it is just another neutered class, like most of the others.
                        Mitch has it right you will stand back and say i want to race that class (10 foot boat 20H/Hot Rod) that looks cool and they have some B---- want go play with them

Comment

There is no blaming APBA. These decisions were made by SORC which is made up of stock drivers. There's no tyrant or dictator making these sections. Decisions may be right or wrong but know where the blame or credit really belongs.

Comment

• deeougee
                            deeougee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Who are we upsetting here Howie? Some people with some 15 ci hotrods? Back in the day it took 2 engines to keep one running! We are talking about a 20 ci motor that is being restricted and doesn't have the reliability issues of the original hotrod. How many guys have actually run their Hotrod in the last 10 years? Don't give me the excuse that they can't run with the SW. The motor was dead long before the SW came along, ie. no parts support from a non existent company. I can tell you a group that is starting to really get their ire up with this situation and that is the largest group in APBA, 20 SSH drivers, yamato owners, those same owners that also want to buy a SW but not use it in 20SSH. Now as far as Matt whining? I think it's more like disagreeing with your elected official and you are sending some criticism their way and giving your opinion.

• Matt Dagostino
                            Matt Dagostino commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Howie.............obviously all current and past SORC members are not guilty. However it seems sometimes the SORC becomes part of the problem and not the solution. I do not whine, i point out issues both good and bad. Isn't that what Hydroracer is all about. Voicing opinions.

As far as possible solutions to create a more user friendly SORC i would suggest the SORC be set up like the J Committee with a appointed Director. Perhaps you Howie?? That knowledgeable person could then appoint a few advisors as Steve Hearn and Erinie Dawe did in 2000-2001 when the J Class Committee was created. The BOD would then approve the decisions reached by the SORC director (as is done for the J Class Chairman) who would be a carefully appointed person! Having been on the SORC myself on and off for 30 years it is clear to me that the lack of knowledgeable folks along with those who have self interests tend to win the day more than not. Many times SORC members vote on issues they have no background on and are influenced by those that have a agenda. Again, just my opinion. Observing the J Committee through the Hearn/Dawe era we saw intelligent decision making to create the fastest growing and strongest Division (J Class) in APBA. I tend to think we should follow the blueprints that work in lieu of making the same mistakes over in over . We all want what's best for boat racing, the trick is finding the best path and following it i guess.......
                            Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM.

• Howie Nichols
                            Howie Nichols commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Matt,
                            It sure sounded like a lot of whining and complaining about the entire SORC, its not the first time you have said things like this either, perhaps it is the way it comes out in your typing (to me) perhaps not.

So what is the goal with this, to reinstate the 20ci B class? Lets say we do just that, What sort of time frame do we use? What about the few Hot Rod drivers we have left? Wisc guys already hate the SORC too because they feel as though the HR is not competitive, if we go back to just 20ci then they cant run at all unless they go 250 Mod.

It was mentioned 25SSH, as Don said testing is being done or do we change BSH to 20ci as well? Then guys run into to small of a boat.

These are easy decisions as someone will always get caught in the cross fire, it may be the best thing to do, but we really need test data from several sources or this time next year people will be bashing the SORC all over again even though its what most of the members wanted.

If memory serves me right back in the 70's - 80's the entire membership elected the chairman then the chairman appointed his commission. I thought that changed because the perception of a form of dictatorship was out there and people did not like it????

You are correct, self interest and lack of knowledge does happen. We have started conversing prior to the meetings about agenda topics, but unfortunately participation is not always great, I wish it was better. I for one have had time to research topics, go back rethink and change my thought process after hearing others input and taking the time to think about things it makes sense to do it another way. Its a great tool for us if only it were used by more...

To sum it up, what do you want or what are you looking to do?

Change BSR to 20ci?
                            Change BSH to 20ci?
                            Eliminate SW from 20SSH?
                            What to do with 25SSH? Make it like 25SSR with a bunch of motors and various restrictor's?
                        Working...
                        X