No announcement yet.

New 321 motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite what the published figures say the the height of the exhaust housing
    of the 302 and 321 are the same. They are interchangeable on the transom.
    This information is straight from TJ.

Comment

"That sounds interesting. Are you saying that a sealed 302 might be able to be upgraded to a 321 ? " The 302 committee is looking at that possibility....I of course had no idea when I proposed class that the 302 would not be available after 2014...I am honestly not sure what I would have done if I had that info back then......I have had a few people e mail me with ideas. Thanx for the info folks......

Comment

SORC/302 Committee,
        My son has out grown the AXH class and we are now looking into our next options. The 302ssh class is very appealing and he was able to take over 20 laps this past weekend in one to see how he liked it. Now we want to take the next steps to getting into the class (302ssh).

What do I do?
        Can I buy a sealed 302 engine for the class right now? Can I buy one 3-4 months from now?
        OR
        Can I buy a sealed 321 engine? Will it be legal in the 2016 season?

Your feedback is appreciated as we are trying to plan and make decisions for the upcoming (2016) racing season. Thanks.

Mark and Nik Miskerik

Comment

It would seem there is no easy answer to your question. It would depend on when the new 321 comes into the US and gets approval for whatever class it's going to fit into.

Comment

Obviously there is no easy answer to this problem, but a 2-3 year phase out would work. There is definitely a market out there for 302's in other classes. Not being able to get ANYTHING "new" for over a year now, has left a very hungry crowd. If 302SSH owners were to put their motors on the market for the purpose of upgrading to a 321, people would buy them.

Comment

Yes, there is an easy answer... a very easy answer. Upgrade all the sealed 302 to 321 - its is about a 30 minute job. I think it can be done without breaking the seals! Lets all agree on that first - then the question is funding - who pays for the upgrade and how is it funded. The only variable is engine availability - we need confirmation that we will have a supply of 321 in the states to purchase for 2016 racing season.

Comment

So where do the 321 parts come from to upgrade the 302's?

What specific 321 parts do we put onto a 302 to make it a 321?

Dane Lance
                700-P
                CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Shane_B
                  Shane_B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TJ will have definitive parts list - but think at min will include carb, carb cover, and tower. From what I understand, the powerhead of the 321 is same as the 302 - hence remark earlier about converting with seals intact... Another question - since the can of worms is open - if 302s are converted, will those with 14mm heads be legal since 321s only have 18mm heads currently? Question would be also for CSH/20SSH/OSY et al, would they be (potentially) allowed to convert 302s to 321s with 14mm heads (if conversions allowed in future)? I know no one has answer, just fuel for thought as we go down this road...
                  Last edited by Shane_B; 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM.

• halestorm
                  halestorm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In response to Shane_B's question for CSH/20SSH, the 321 is already legal in those classes. At last year's annual meeting the SORC made the 321 legal for all existing classes that use the 302 (excluding the 302SSH class).

• Shane_B
                  Shane_B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Acknowledge 321 legal for CSH/OSY in 2016, question I posed was if 302s are allowed to be converted to 321s to participate in those classes, and the 302s have 14mm heads, would those heads have to be converted to 18mm to be legal as the 321 stock engine ONLY has 18mm heads (at current time)? Hypothetical question as conversion not yet approved (or even proposed officially if I'm not mistaken).

The 302ssh committee...headed by stock outboard chairman jeff brewster, are working on the best way to implement the 321 into the 302SSH class. We just need a little more time, as the race season ends, to get all the information we need. Keep the great ideas coming. Again, you can either call me at 425 246 4710 or e mail me at Daveracerdsh@aol.com. I have got 4 e mails from racers so far with some fantastic ideas.....Keep them coming. Thanx

Comment

Dave, How about an update on when the 321's being held by U.S. Customs will be cleared? I'm asking you because you are an SORC Commissioner. Thanks.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My understanding is the tower is different in that it has more internal volume and a revised flow path for the 321

Yamato 321 comparison chart http://www.yamatoracing.co.uk/model-321/4587843953

Comment

These changes all look like things one would do to make an engine quieter. I bet it is no faster and all this fuss will be over nothing. Looking at these changes it would seem unwise to make the 302ss guys spend a pile of money on the assumption the 321 is faster than the 302.

Comment

• Hutch06
                      Hutch06 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Regardless, finding 302's which have not already been 'converted' to run CSH/CSR/25SSR/20SSH/Mod is next to impossible at this point. Re-converting a 'converted' motor is not the answer due to cost, time, and other factors.
                      The 302 is no longer manufactured and not available.

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hutch, just to be clear I think the 321 should be approved for the 302ssh class while the 302 remains approved too. The 321 is not likely to be faster.

Lee: We are working with Ric Montoya on getting the motors into the country. Dave

Comment

So am I correct in assuming that when the 321 gets into the country, that repair parts for it, like ignition parts, pistons, rods etc. will fit the 302? Except for stated differences? Or am I wrong about that?

Comment

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
                        Yes, there is an easy answer... a very easy answer. Upgrade all the sealed 302 to 321 - its is about a 30 minute job. I think it can be done without breaking the seals! Lets all agree on that first - then the question is funding - who pays for the upgrade and how is it funded. The only variable is engine availability - we need confirmation that we will have a supply of 321 in the states to purchase for 2016 racing season.
                        I just got my new 321 and they look the same, basely, as a 302. It is way more then a 30 min job and a few $100, most likely about $700. New head, tower, intake, spray shield, carb and so on. Go to the UK yamato website and they have a chart that defines the changes. It might be better to sell the 302 to the mod guys and buy a new 321.

Alan
                        Last edited by OldRacerBU; 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Alan...sorta curious. How long did it take you to get your 321 into the country? Any problems doing so? Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X