APBA Social Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA Social Site

It used to be that I could sneak a peek at the APBA Social Site without logging in therefore allowing me to look when I was at work. I see that now you can't see anything unless you are a user. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there a fix in the works?

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

I am having the same issue. Not sure what is going on.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

That just started today.idk

Comment

Social site was getting a lot of spam. So I think this change was to prevent the continued spam threads from starting. only my guess...
        Kyle Bahl
        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

We need everybody to participate on that website, as it is our official APBA website. We the members are responsible for its success. Check it out, post something, create threads and participate. It will catch on. It's nice to have two websites about boat racing. Remember also that official APBA announcements and valuable information will be posted there, not all of them make it to Hydroracer. Let's grow both sites so newly interested people can find us and learn about racing and how to get started.
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

The other site

I think they are antisocial .

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
              We need everybody to participate on that website, as it is our official APBA website. We the members are responsible for its success. Check it out, post something, create threads and participate. It will catch on. It's nice to have two websites about boat racing. Remember also that official APBA announcements and valuable information will be posted there, not all of them make it to Hydroracer. Let's grow both sites so newly interested people can find us and learn about racing and how to get started.
              Sorry John but I call bull **** on this latest move over on the APBA Social. Ed was posting here directing folks over to the social site for race results last weekend. Teresa copied the results here to HRNET thus the move was made to close down public viewing access unless you are a member.

It was ok for Ed to post here on HRNET directing folks over to the APBA site but the very minute info was copied from the social site back here a new policy went into effect shutting down public access.

While this may all seem childish trust me I have seen this done before on several web sites where folks tend to get there panties in bunch over this type of thing.

Before anyone jumps on my back remember I started this site so I know how these things work. I watched the whole thing unfold from the sidelines over the weekend.

This is why they close down public access:

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26744

Call it petty call it childish, call it what ever you want it is what it is a fact! I have seen this happen time an gain across several different web sites.
              Last edited by HRTV; 09-24-2013, 05:43 AM.
              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
                Sorry John but I call bull **** on this latest move over on the APBA Social. Ed was posting here directing folks over to the social site for race results last weekend. Teresa copied the results here to HRNET thus the move was made to close down public viewing access unless you are a member.

It was ok for Ed to post here on HRNET directing folks over to the APBA site but the very minute info was copied from the social site back here a new policy went into effect shutting down public access.

While this may all seem childish trust me I have seen this done before on several web sites where folks tend to get there panties in bunch over this type of thing.

Before anyone jumps on my back remember I started this site so I know how these things work. I watched the whole thing unfold from the sidelines over the weekend.

Call it petty call it childish, call it what ever you want it is what it is a fact! I have seen this happen time an gain across several different web sites.

DAN
                I imagine you are correct on this.........if this is true how unfortunate of Crowne/APBA to pull that kind of crap. We are all boat racers and need to provide access for EVERYONE and share race results and any other type of information to the boat racing world.

I hope you are wrong about Crowne doing this??........

Matt and Val
                Boat Racers

Comment

off subject but...........

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                  DAN
                  I imagine you are correct on this.........if this is true how unfortunate of Crowne/APBA to pull that kind of crap. We are all boat racers and need to provide access for EVERYONE and share race results and any other type of information to the boat racing world.

I hope you are wrong about Crowne doing this??........

Matt and Val
                  Boat Racers
                  I thought Crowne Partners were relieved of their services this summer......
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I can't believe that they purposely did this. It has to be a glitch and hopefully someone will realize and fix it. Social Site should be open to anyone interested in boat racing as a method to promote the sport and I am sure that APBA knows that. Isn't that why the site was created?

There has been a lot of spam on the site recently and maybe it is to try to stop some of that from happening. Perhaps someone from APBA will post the answer here AND on the social site.

This wasn't meant to be a thread that bashes APBA, it was meant to be a hey is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

I didn't know anything about what you're talking about, Dan. I certainly didn't want to ruffle anybodies feathers. If I did, then I apologize. Just want to help both sites out to grow the sport.
                      John Runne
                      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Apba

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                        I am having the same issue. Not sure what is going on.
                        Just got a e-mail from APBA Director Dan Wiener who said the issue is SPAM related.......the APBA site got hammered with a ton of spam and they are in the process of fixing it.

Dan said it will be resolved shortly...........

Good stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by HRTV View Post

Dan you could not be more wrong.

But seriously that is exactly what we don’t need, is the bashing of each other.
                          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

I just emailed Dan and asked him if it was ok to repost his email. He said I could, so here you go…..

Here is what happened….. we had an overload of spam on the site over the past two weeks from “bots” joining the site and posting. While we were able to delete these with no problem, they kept creating new accounts and getting in.

To fix this, we added an approval screen to where you must be approved to get on the site. There are no criteria to get on the site other than being a person rather than a bot putting up spam. By doing this, we realized how big the issue was. Over the past 48 hours, we had over 2,700 new accounts try to sign up of which three were not spam. 2690 of these accounts had the same subject line when asked “why do you want to join”. I had the developers automatically delete these so I didn’t have to go through over 1,000 applications per day. We now get about 20 per day, two or so are real and get quickly approved.

My guess is that when we made these changes there was a permission setting that was accidentally switched and so I have put in a help ticket to get this reversed.

Let me know when this kind of stuff pops up because I will sometimes miss it. As soon as I know, I can get working on fixing it.

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!!!!

Dan Wiener
                            Executive Director APBA

Don Allen

Comment

APBA Website

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                              I agree that we need to build this up to being the "Go to" website for information. Just think, maybe we could push the officers of our Association (APBA) to set up a system to have racing results posted within a few hours after the race. To me this is easy and necessary to create a following. Better yet, why don't we tell the web site people what we expect from them.
                              Lee Sutter
                              CSR and 25SSR
                              28-R

Comment

Working...
                              X