Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anchoring rescue boats

a quick question:

Why would anyone have a rescue boat "anchored" anyways?
    I didnt think we ever did that...

Comment

Rescue

Originally posted by nbranews View Post
      If you watch the scene closely you will see that the driver in the water signals that he is OK (hands clasped above head) 16 seconds after the impact of the two boats. Shortly thereafter you see the black boat that was involved circle back around checking on the driver. You say the rescue crew should be on scene within 10 seconds??? 10 seconds is not even enough time to pull anchor and get the rescue boat heading in that direction.
      The lack of a rescue boat showing up on scene almost two minutes after the accident is indefensible (4:25 Crash occurs 6:17 Tape stops). Further Alan stated that rescue did not get to the boat until 9 minutes later. And BTW 10 - 20 seconds for rescue to get to the scene is probably the average range for the F1 Prop Tour. Search USF1 powerboat on You Tube and look at the crash videos. In one blowover you can see rescue on scene in 12 seconds. So the question still is why were they not there as two minutes later? And I respectfully disagree with this not being the place to debate good or bad rescue. I might also add that providing good rescue is a problem within every organization - so this is not about APBA, NBRA etc... its about learning from mistakes to provide the best rescue possible.

Comment

Rescue

The ODA which is the club that put this race on have purchased a state of the art new crash boat. We thought that we had shown everyone how to work everything on this boat. During this heat the driver of the crash boat, who was a new volunteer didn't realize a couple things about operating this boat. We know what went wrong and it will never happen again. The ODA is one of the most safety conscious clubs in the nation. This new boat and safety equipment cost the club over $8,000. We would not spend this money and not be safety conscious. There is no excuse for the crash boat to not be there, and it will never happen again. We realize our mistake, and have learned from it. As far a being anchored, we have a boat in each corner and both are anchored with a quick disconnect from the anchor, there is no pulling up the anchor. I will post some photos of our crash boat and equipment trailer later so everyone can see what I am talking about.
        Keith Kampen

Comment

Video

I was not at this race but I have been following the dialogue in this and other threads. Alan (the father) was very opposed to posting the video and only did so after he was asked to do so by a number of other people.
          David

Comment

Originally posted by kampenracing View Post
            The ODA which is the club that put this race on have purchased a state of the art new crash boat. We thought that we had shown everyone how to work everything on this boat. During this heat the driver of the crash boat, who was a new volunteer didn't realize a couple things about operating this boat. We know what went wrong and it will never happen again. The ODA is one of the most safety conscious clubs in the nation. This new boat and safety equipment cost the club over $8,000. We would not spend this money and not be safety conscious. There is no excuse for the crash boat to not be there, and it will never happen again. We realize our mistake, and have learned from it. As far a being anchored, we have a boat in each corner and both are anchored with a quick disconnect from the anchor, there is no pulling up the anchor. I will post some photos of our crash boat and equipment trailer later so everyone can see what I am talking about.
            Keith, sounds like you guys are on top of it.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Answer

Originally posted by kampenracing View Post
              Keith,

Thanks for the perfect straighforward honest answer. 100% certain that your rescue is top notch.

Greg

Comment

ODA Rescue Boat

I can personally state that the new ODA rescue boat is first class. Having gone for a course patrol ride in the boat at Rockaway Beach picking up logs that might place in danger a racer it has everything that should be in a boat. It has been designed and constructed to a very high standard and will serve the ODA club well. I think we have all learned a little on how to make things better and we will do whatever is needed to help improve the rescue process. I am sorry if i have made some folks unhappy but the rescue process needs to be discussed so it can be made better.

Alan

Comment

We are getting wiser and we must use this experince to improve. Ask Alan, if he would do the same thing, that is raise his hands, in retrospect, or would he ask for assistance. Alan is a tough guy, but his coffee could be improved..I know why is so tough, drinking his own coffee..

Comment

Coffee

Doc,
                    We will buy a better grade of coffee and have it available at the next race!

Alan Sr

PS: Alan Jr is the coffee maker most times. When I do it you can't drink it unless your from Louisiana!

Comment

I think one thing needs to be reinforced - and Jack S. has said at many driver's meeting - BE Sure you are ok from cuts and etc. BEFORE giving the hands clasped signal - It seems the min any of us hit the water were giving the ok signal - Iam just as guilty - Take a few seconds or however long to check your self over before giving the "OK" signal.

Comment

Good Feedback

While I was one who was opposed to posting this video, it shed some light that might help the other organizations see first hand.

Let me start that this is not a blame anyone scene. We rely on volunteers to man the rescue boats. All sanctioning bodies do this. With this, you inherit a certain amount of risk.

Okinitro hit the nail on the head. The driver should not have signaled so quickly. Jack made it VERY clear at drivers meeting that you are required to take at least an appropate amount if time to check yourself over. The drivers hands came up within milliseconds of hitting the water. Also, Jack made it very clear at drivers meeting that if you signal okay, and then decide you are not, wave it off, and he demostrated how to do that. Need to be present to see this. So, given all this, the rescue boat did its job perfectly in my mind. If you think not, then I am sorry. But when a drivers keeps his hands up for the length of time it was, I am assuming he is fine and I am going to sit tight until all boats are off the course so i can not be a hazzard running up to him and possibly creating another crash. If his hands did not come up and I could see he was hurt, you bet your ass it is wide open to get there in under 10 seconds. The other boats can deal with the wake.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong on this situation, it is all opinion and interpretation. The ODA boat is first class, and there is always a meeting to show anyone how it works right after drivers meeting. As I said, it is volunteers, so lets not be to harsh. I don't see any sanctioning body hiring a professional rescue crew to travel around the circuit.... not even Crown could afford that.

Alan, sorry I couldn't take the boat with me home to repair, just to much on the plate right now. If it does not get fixed by Centrallia, I can haul it home then and fix it for you if you still need it.
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Region 10 hires a professional rescue crew, for most of it's races.

We're spoiled in region 10.

http://oregonracerescue.com/

Comment

Lucky

On a hit like that, keep those hands down to get the patrol boat there fast! , My brother had a cut that needed 100 stitches and never knew he was cut!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                              While I was one who was opposed to posting this video, it shed some light that might help the other organizations see first hand.

Let me start that this is not a blame anyone scene. We rely on volunteers to man the rescue boats. All sanctioning bodies do this. With this, you inherit a certain amount of risk.

Okinitro hit the nail on the head. The driver should not have signaled so quickly. Jack made it VERY clear at drivers meeting that you are required to take at least an appropate amount if time to check yourself over. The drivers hands came up within milliseconds of hitting the water. Also, Jack made it very clear at drivers meeting that if you signal okay, and then decide you are not, wave it off, and he demostrated how to do that. Need to be present to see this. So, given all this, the rescue boat did its job perfectly in my mind. If you think not, then I am sorry. But when a drivers keeps his hands up for the length of time it was, I am assuming he is fine and I am going to sit tight until all boats are off the course so i can not be a hazzard running up to him and possibly creating another crash. If his hands did not come up and I could see he was hurt, you bet your ass it is wide open to get there in under 10 seconds. The other boats can deal with the wake.

Bottom line, there is no right or wrong on this situation, it is all opinion and interpretation. The ODA boat is first class, and there is always a meeting to show anyone how it works right after drivers meeting. As I said, it is volunteers, so lets not be to harsh. I don't see any sanctioning body hiring a professional rescue crew to travel around the circuit.... not even Crown could afford that.

Alan, sorry I couldn't take the boat with me home to repair, just to much on the plate right now. If it does not get fixed by Centrallia, I can haul it home then and fix it for you if you still need it.
                              Dave.

Many of the categories and regions do have complete volunteer teams consisting of off duty professional firefighters, divers and paramedics like the region 4 Inboard Rescue team or they hire a professional team to follow the circuit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Region...m/135735069364

Region 4 Rescue provides medical and rescue services for APBA sanctioned boat races in MD, VA, WV, and NC.

They also have 2 PWC's for quick response manned by diver
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by HRTV; 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM.
                              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
                                Dave.

Many of the categories and regions do have complete volunteer teams consisting of off duty professional firefighters, divers and paramedics like the region 4 Inboard Rescue team or they hire a professional team to follow the circuit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Region...m/135735069364

Region 4 Rescue provides medical and rescue services for APBA sanctioned boat races in MD, VA, WV, and NC.

They also have 2 PWC's for quick response manned by diver
                                Dan,

Thanks, I am referring to more of the kneelers category. Inboards are required to have divers, etc. With a capsule, it is a bit different circumstances.

I am glad though that some regions do have professionals. I would like to see them hired and not volunteered. But we all know how much that costs.

Every accident presents its own set of circumstances. I have seen a lot of wrecks in my days, and I think it all comes down to judegment by the person manning the saftey boat as to how quick they respond, or if they black flag. The one suggestions someone made about keeping your hands down is not such a bad one. If you are even a half percent uncertain if you are okay, keep the hands down and let them come get you.

Also, when you are a volunteer, and you are getting on a saftey boat for the first time and you are not familiar with its operations, it is your bound duty to understand how it works. Take the time to learn it. I for one would hold up a race if you needed some time to go over the workings of the boat. Please don't just take it for granted.
                                Dave Mason
                                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                                X