Lake Lawrence Record Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post

I guess the alum rub rails are the half round molding on the edge of the sponsons. Can somebody explain what was the safety concern? Please!
    Just cruising here, but... Have you ever seen what that stuff does when it gets trashed?

3or 4 feet of it, and it gets all sprung, and twisted, and whipping around, and sticking up in the air.

Just a guess.

Comment

Are we discussing two rules here. One is new Safety 3 (22) (B) 2 page 26 of the 2010 rule book. It states "Half oval Aluminum rub molding is not allowed on Stock Outboard pickleforks or cockpit noses" Gee how about brass or stainless?
      Did anyone ever see a Sid craft without a aluminum molding? Moldings have been on boats for over 50 years. Gezz.
      Round sponson tips. Read Safety Rule 3 (22) (A) page 26-27 then read (B) page 27. Notice something missing in rule (B). If you noticed no effective date as in "Built After" you get the grand prize. Now our elected SORC needs to fix this ASAP. There are many many many boats out there that need a nose job. To inform a driver/owner at a race site that the boat does not comply with the new Stock rule is going to cause problems.
      bill b

Comment

Bill,

The Stock rule is less restrictive than the PRO and MOD rules. Thus, it is enacted for ALL boats...not just those built after a certain date.

It's not a typo or mistake. Look at how long pointy pickle boats in Mod and PRO (built prior to 2007 and 2008) will be around. They'll be out on the water for many years to come.

This SO rule was adopted well over a year ago. Everyone knew it was coming. No one has any excuse for not being legal at this point this year. I'm not saying the rule is good or bad. Just that we all knew it was coming this season.

Comment

I respectfully disagree that everyone know that it was coming. Yes it is less restrictive and a better rule. However, just cutting the tip off a sponson is not always the answer. What happens if the boat ends up with a hole in the sponson tip. Plug it up?? maybe not so simple.
          I do not have a problem with the radius rule but the radius needs to be built into the boat not just sawed off the sponson tip. I do not what to be the Inspector that DQ's all the boats without the radius.
          I ask you what about the legal ASH with the radius and enters it as a FAH (whatever CC) or K Pro. Has the legal Stock radius of .500 but does not meet the MOD/PRO radius of 1". either it will be overlooked at local races and a DQ at the Nationals. Remember the rule deals with a radius. 2nd grade math is half a diameter. An A hydro with a 2 " wide sponson tip for MOD/Pro. UGH This what we get when the Commissions do not communicate.
          bill b

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post
            Bill,

The Stock rule is less restrictive than the PRO and MOD rules. Thus, it is enacted for ALL boats...not just those built after a certain date.

It's not a typo or mistake. Look at how long pointy pickle boats in Mod and PRO (built prior to 2007 and 2008) will be around. They'll be out on the water for many years to come.

This SO rule was adopted well over a year ago. Everyone knew it was coming. No one has any excuse for not being legal at this point this year. I'm not saying the rule is good or bad. Just that we all knew it was coming this season.
            Everyone, as in 6-7 commissioners?

This is just plain and simply STUPID! The UIM rule makes sense, but a 1/2" radius is ridiculous!

PS, after I remove a rub rail, all my boats will comply.

PSS-any engineers out there want to do the math on how little of a difference a 1/4" radius vs 1/2" will be? Then compare that to the UIM 25mm radius.

Comment

No, everyone knew as in anyone with the gumption to read the minutes of the SO Commission meeting from 2009. Not just 6-7 Commissioners. Most likely appeared in Propeller as well. Can't recall if I read it there.

It was passed in January, 2009 for the 2010 season.

Also published in the rule book that's been online since late January.

Seriously...let's not condone laziness here.

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                I respectfully disagree that everyone know that it was coming. Yes it is less restrictive and a better rule. However, just cutting the tip off a sponson is not always the answer. What happens if the boat ends up with a hole in the sponson tip. Plug it up?? maybe not so simple.
                I do not have a problem with the radius rule but the radius needs to be built into the boat not just sawed off the sponson tip. I do not what to be the Inspector that DQ's all the boats without the radius.
                I ask you what about the legal ASH with the radius and enters it as a FAH (whatever CC) or K Pro. Has the legal Stock radius of .500 but does not meet the MOD/PRO radius of 1". either it will be overlooked at local races and a DQ at the Nationals. Remember the rule deals with a radius. 2nd grade math is half a diameter. An A hydro with a 2 " wide sponson tip for MOD/Pro. UGH This what we get when the Commissions do not communicate.
                How about the J Category, Bill? No rounded pickle rule at all there! So, if a boat runs AX, then moves into A Stock Hydro, and didn't round their pickles previously, here we go again.

Agreed, the consistency between the categories is a challenge here.

Oops--we're both on the J Committee.....guess we better shut up quick before anybody notices that one!

R-19
                www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                  No, everyone knew as in anyone with the gumption to read the minutes of the SO Commission meeting from 2009. Not just 6-7 Commissioners. Most likely appeared in Propeller as well. Can't recall if I read it there.

It was passed in January, 2009 for the 2010 season.

Also published in the rule book that's been online since late January.

Seriously...let's not condone laziness here.
                  So, you're lazy if you don't read the minutes from the National Meeting? That's going just a little too far..

And no, the rule wasn't published in Propeller in 2009. Here's all I found from 2009, nothing about a minimum 1/2 pickle radius. This rule may (will as it is written now) cause more problems than it will ever solve...

Sorry for the bad images, it's hard to fit a magazine in a sheet fed scanner.

If safety is the main reason for this, then APBA should adopt the UIM rule. When I had Blackwell build my C hydo I had the pickles rounded during construction on my own accord to more than 25mm...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ricochet112; 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sponsonhead View Post
                    How about the J Category, Bill? No rounded pickle rule at all there! So, if a boat runs AX, then moves into A Stock Hydro, and didn't round their pickles previously, here we go again.

Agreed, the consistency between the categories is a challenge here.

Oops--we're both on the J Committee.....guess we better shut up quick before anybody notices that one!

R-19
                    Pat, How about the Stock boat running in Mod. Can you visualize a ASH with a 2 inch wide pickle tip. Lets do away with pickle tip boats all together.
                    bill b

Comment

Everybody's got to go topless

Once again we have a solution for a problem that does not exist. An then we (APBA) try to implement it without putting the issue out for all racers to digest before-hand.

The FAA and some other government agencies publish what is called an NPRM "Notice of Proposed Rule Making", which gives the users time to offer comments etc. Rarely, when there is an exigent need, rules are put into place immediately. From what I have seen over the past 4 years, none of this being discussed here is of an urgent nature.

Right from the beginning of 'pickle-forks' it should have been recognized that a radius like the UIM rule would have been smart. But, it wasn't pushed. And, it appears that fate has been kind to us over the years. Based upon this fact, it should be published as a "recommendation" that the forks on all new boats ought to meet the UIM rule. Period!! The change will take place - be patient.

Here's an example of how it will work: Look at womens necklines (ie the amount of chest being exposed today). It wasn't always that way. But, because hollywood did it... one by one all women are doing it... cleavage or not. See how it worked?

And, up here in Maine we had our first 'going topless' parade 2 weeks ago protesting that men can go topless so why can't women. We're gonna have another one the 30th of this month up in Farmington Maine..... stay tuned.
                      Last edited by ram95; 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X