Steve A

CMH. 61R
    Short Fuze Racing
    Team Darneille
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
    IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
      Never underestimate the value of cool....

A added point, I agree smooth is faster, yet it also adds an element of un-control-ability. For instance, my DSH and me never got along in the beginning; I kept slowly swapping ends in the corner, makes for an awful raceday. I refinished the bottom, but instead of keeping it smooth, I "finished" it with 40 grit sandpaper. With nothing else changing, the added drag of the unfinished bottom allowed me to go into the corner wide open and haven't spun since, *knock on wood. I have since moved to 80 grit, but that's as far as I intend to go.

On a side note, after picking up a boat with graphite, it looks like you read the Sunday newspaper all morning long...
      This is why i wanted to do my sponson the karelson has big ones and i have felt them grip in the corners and it has put me out several time maybe it will help there .

I put a tab off resin in the speedcoat to make it more colour fast so it dont come of on your fingers as much .

Steve A

CMH. 61R
      Short Fuze Racing
      Team Darneille

Comment

Looks just like the bottom of the 305. Nicely done.

Jimi O.

Comment

Originally posted by Trihedral_1 View Post
          Looks just like the bottom of the 305. Nicely done.

Jimi O.
          Thank you sir

Steve A

CMH. 61R
          Short Fuze Racing
          Team Darneille

Comment

Another Concept

This will take up some of your spare time.

Dimple the bottom. Some of the JDS boats from the west coast have a dimpled bottom. Meaning for I think three or four foot of the rear bottom have concave holes, about an inch in diameter spaced even across and vertically. These holes look like one if you used a countersink drill for a screw, only larger, like I mentioned, about an inch or so.

It is thought this will reduce friction and go faster. Does it work ?

I bet it does at higher speeds than we will ever see. In my research there is very little difference in doing things to the bottom and the deck of a boat until you reach speeds in excess of around 95 MPH. Good example. Use a nose pice such as an MJR has, one piece molded fiberglass. Round, aerodynamic in appearance. looks cool. Runs good. Take the same boat and put a Hemp style front cowling on it. You will not notice any difference in handling or speed on a 750CCMH or DSH.

Try the dimpled bottom on a piece of plywood and do your test, see if it works. It might make a difference, I have never tested it. I know of at least one 750CCMH that has it and they are an up front runner.

And if you get bored again, let us know. I can think of a couple projects for you to test out.
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post

Dimple the bottom. Some of the JDS boats from the west coast have a dimpled bottom. Meaning for I think three or four foot of the rear bottom have concave holes, about an inch in diameter spaced even across and vertically. These holes look like one if you used a countersink drill for a screw, only larger, like I mentioned, about an inch or so.

It is thought this will reduce friction and go faster. Does it work ?

This is why a golf ball is dimpled.

Comment

I saw the dimple bottom on Kevin Macafee's boat, but I don't believe he has done the same thing on his newer JDS. Maybe he can chime in on what difference he thinks it made?

Brent Simmons

Comment

Things not said

From super slick to stucco, there is a number of ways to do a bottom. What no one has mentioned is that there is so little of the bottom in contact with the water on a properly set up hydro that it really doesn't much matter about the finish. Getting the bottom arrow straight where it needs to be does more than anything to enhance the overall performance. I personally use nothing more than epoxy on the bottom. I sand the back 3-4 ft. of the bottom and the bottom of the sponsons. With no graphite/varnish/wax in the way it makes freshening up the finish or repairs much easier also.

Comment

You Know there is a much easier way of applying graphite. I used to do this all the time with my C and D runabouts.
                    Sand the bottom with 100 or so sandpaper. Wipe the dust off, Apply a thick coat of Tree Wax. Before it drys add graphite powder to the Wax and rub in.That's it. Will stay there a long time. Want to remove it just wipe off with a rag and Lacquer thinner.
                    bill b

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                      You Know there is a much easier way of applying graphite. I used to do this all the time with my C and D runabouts.
                      Sand the bottom with 100 or so sandpaper. Wipe the dust off, Apply a thick coat of Tree Wax. Before it drys add graphite powder to the Wax and rub in.That's it. Will stay there a long time. Want to remove it just wipe off with a rag and Lacquer thinner.
                      Handy tip mate .

Steve A

CMH. 61R
                      Short Fuze Racing
                      Team Darneille

Comment

ed karelson always said graphite just made them slide of the carts sooner ,,,,hehehehe

Comment

Yes, Ed is correct
                          bill b

Comment

So are you guys saying it's just snake oil?

If so, then why do a lot of the inboard hydro guys do it?
                            Sattler Racing R-15
                            350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                            TEAM VRP
                            The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro View Post
                              So are you guys saying it's just snake oil?

If so, then why do a lot of the inboard hydro guys do it?
                              Not sure...maybe they're more easily impressed....

R-19
                              www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

mike..... i know where ya going with that ,,,hehehehe dont let the snake bite ya,,,

Comment

Working...
                                X