SpeedCoat Lubri-bondA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedCoat Lubri-bondA

Just used it for the first time it's very fresh maybe still wet but looks like it's coming of when I wipe it as in when I wipe my finger across it it leaves graphite dust on my finger will this transfer stop ?

And has anyone wet and dryer it like westsytems graphite mix to get max smooth surface ?

Steve A
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 03-28-2010, 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

CMH. 61R
    Short Fuze Racing
    Team Darneille
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
    IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

That dust on your finger is normal. once the products liquid chemicals have evaporated, your left with graphite dust. Most people rub that down until it gets a nice smooth gloss to it. You could wet sand with a million grit paper, or go old school and buff it out with old crunched up newspapers.

Jimi O. (305-R)

Comment

Yes correct it's perfect today nice and hard thanks Jimi O

I'll try the newspaper and 2400 grit but so far it it so much flatter and smoother than what was on it .

Steve A

CMH. 61R
      Short Fuze Racing
      Team Darneille

Comment

Ok to answer my wet and dry question ......

Yes you can wet and dry it , i used 600 then 2400 and its mirror finish slippery as a slimy rock , and looks like a peace of stainless steal .

Steve A

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille

Comment

steve, will it stay on a boat cart now
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Steve View Post
            Ok to answer my wet and dry question ......

Yes you can wet and dry it , i used 600 then 2400 and its mirror finish slippery as a slimy rock , and looks like a peace of stainless steal .

Steve A
            too slick can be too much!!! try prying apart two wet plates.................
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Another example of too slick>>>>>>>>>

Try blowing a thin sheet of water off a horizontal piece of clean glass. Then do the same test with a sheet of water on a piece of 600 wet sand paper on a level surface - not slick wins. I always found low wet sanded sheen bottom finish to work best and it has been posted that Wartinger goes for sanded.

Here are some other comments on slick vs sanded

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=169169
              Last edited by ZUL8TR; 03-30-2010, 05:11 AM.
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Very good info , yes I'll hit it with the 600 and. Leave it at that , dull it off abit grime the 2400 .
                I'll do halve one side on the bottom first and do the water test with 600 one side and 2400 the other , a side by side controled test lol

Steve A

CMH. 61R
                Short Fuze Racing
                Team Darneille

Comment

Very good info , yes I'll hit it with the 600 and. Leave it at that , dull it off abit grime the 2400 .
                  I'll do halve one side on the bottom first and do the water test with 600 one side and 2400 the other , a side by side controled test lol

Steve A

Good idea. Post some pictures of the results
                  Sattler Racing R-15
                  350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                  TEAM VRP
                  The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

the water test will fool you because a thin sheet or drops of water have only air as resistance on the topside, and can actually begin to roll as it moves across the bottom, a luxury water doesn't have when a boat skips across it at 65mph. Don't feel bad, we had some hotwheel tracks set up to do the same kind of tests, and then my rocket scientist cousin explained that the test was invalid because the water didn't have the same density that it would in a lake, then he rambled on about water temperature and gravity and how graphite is electrically conductive and we should run voltage through it to reduce drag, but that technique was more for big displacement vessels, etc, etc....

In short, graphite on the bottom will make you go faster, and it looks cool, and yes, your boat will slide off the cart real easy.

Jimi O. (305-R)

Comment

Never underestimate the value of cool....

A added point, I agree smooth is faster, yet it also adds an element of un-control-ability. For instance, my DSH and me never got along in the beginning; I kept slowly swapping ends in the corner, makes for an awful raceday. I refinished the bottom, but instead of keeping it smooth, I "finished" it with 40 grit sandpaper. With nothing else changing, the added drag of the unfinished bottom allowed me to go into the corner wide open and haven't spun since, *knock on wood. I have since moved to 80 grit, but that's as far as I intend to go.

On a side note, after picking up a boat with graphite, it looks like you read the Sunday newspaper all morning long...
                      http://vitalire.com/

Comment

coatings and speed

Originally posted by Trihedral_1 View Post

In short, graphite on the bottom will make you go faster, and it looks cool, and yes, your boat will slide off the cart real easy.

Jimi O. (305-R)
                        I tried various bottom surfaces in stock hydro 25ssh and 20ssh: gloss varnish, varnish with wax, sanded varnish (600 grit), flat black primer sanded and the best was the sanded black primer (gray would have the same result, I liked black). Never tried the graphite but I still feel too slick is not the best in circuit racing. The fastest top speed is not as important as fastest around the race course. Worked for me.
                        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

slick bottom

Steve A
                          Best to do your testing on the water at speed. The trailer test is not going to tell you much that is useful.

Comment

Graphite paint

I put it on thick scuff with red 3-m pad long straight strocks lenght of boat. Did my first boat in 1971 and every boat since. Any one from S.L.O.R.A. need any Ill give it to you its dirt cheap. But what do I know I run Inboards!!!!!
                            Dave over and out!!

Comment

Ok so i did some test on different sections at different sanded levels .

LEVELS WERE
                              Gloss epoxy top

The water test i found not accurate because when i got to the 600 and less it started to leach out from the run and water run would disappear .

i got a plastic playing card and slide it on water over each of the patches and yes it didn't slide across the epoxy or the 2400 and bearly across the 1200 .

I then took a plastic playing card and pressed in on the surface and then lifted it up to feel the suction as i comes of the surface , lots on the epoxy and 2400 less on the 1200 and couldn't feel and on the 600 and 400 .

So i went with the 600 hundred as it didn't leach as much and it was slick'r than the 400 and it didn't transfer as much graphite on your hands .

And yes i have to much time on my hands and am hungry for a win

Steve A

CMH. 61R
                              Short Fuze Racing
                              Team Darneille

Comment

Working...
                              X