Gene Schertz 26V
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll
    Reeds for Speed!

Who's the 'NO" ? Any reasons? Other then hear/say bs? GL
    Future J dad!

Comment

Yes

I personally love the engine. A little more phiniky off the beach than the OMC. We (my dad) have one and have run it on the hydro as well as my flat turner Sorensen. Hydro runs well but the runabout was a real kick in the pants. We even had ours flipped at the last race and had no problem drying it out. I recomend everyone try one first, then make your judgement. Only complaint is needing a someone to pull it for you.
      Dan Wilde
      58-C

"Don't let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart." Chuck D

Comment

The Sidewinder “A” has been raced competitively in 9 regions this past season. Five engines competed with ten different drivers. The engine design was finalized in February 2009 and first raced at the winter nationals where it finished third on the race course. The performance of the engine has allowed it to merge with the OMC “A” engines, typically in the front half of the field but (true to its intention) not dominating the class. Racing Outboards LLC has the engine in stock and is looking for APBA approval of the engine to encourage additional sales and promote new growth in the class. There is a lot of interest in the engine, but racers are hesitant to purchase it until it is approved for points. The engine is in stock and ready for purchase.
        John Runne
        2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

I'm curious as to why anybody would be against this
          John Runne
          2-Z

Comment

Thread moved from a moderated forum. Duplicate posts removed.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

politics again?

Or are there some don't want a small american enterprise to stand?
              Go sidewinder!!!

Comment

Questions

John,

Please let me know what regions the "A" Sidewinder raced in when you get the chance. To my knowledge it did not race in Region 6 and if it did I'm sorry I missed it.

Also, do you know why it wasn't raced at the SO Nationals? Seems to me this would be the one place to "showcase" the engine on the course against top notch competition.

I'm not against it, just haven't seen on run this year (other than the "15" Sidewinder).

Mark

Comment

A Sidewinders in action

There are three A Sidewinders here in R 11: the Schwartz/Mackay/Lombardo team own two and I have one. I raced ASH at Oroville in June and split heats with Troy Christie. Troy is one of the fastest in our region but I suspect that he was more into testing for Grass Lake than winning at Oroville. I was amused in inspection when I was almost bounced for underweight, the new engine is lighter than my OMC! In September my daughter Pam ran ASH at Dobbins and did well. Tony Lombardo also ran a Sidewinder in ASH and finished mid pack. My Sidewinder ran well at 1700 ft altitude. I don't remember the finishing order because of jumpers and several flips. In October my son Dan ran it at Lake Minden on our Sorensen runabout and loved it. The ASR class here is mostly newbies so winning doesn't mean much. Pam flipped the Sidewinder in the first turn of ASH, it came in completely covered with fine silt. New plugs and a cleaned out carb bowl got it going in short order. The Minden race may have been the first time three Sidewinder powered A hydros competed. Pam seemed to have a slight boat advantage over the other Sidewinder boats, but I think OMC powered boats won. I am delighted with my new engine, it's lighter, lower (cg), and louder. A nice combo.

Comment

I saw the A run at Franklin PA with the Runne's in ASR, I don't recall it being on a hydro. I did get the chance to run it in Kingston, NH. Felt great through the corners and out of the corners. Didn't seem to be any faster than good OMC's although it was much faster then my sour OMC. It would still take a driver and a good start to win with it, but isn't that the point?
                    I don't see any issue with it being brought into A as it is. I still wonder how much faster they will get in the next few years with people trying to find the grey areas of the rules, the sweet spot for the build, and the sweet spot with props, which someone will always find.
                    ----
                    Graham18ce
                    Team Canada ThunderCat
                    Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                    Twitter @FralickRacing
                    Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Availability

Does anyone know what the estimated shipping time would be for an A Sidewinder?
                      I am curious because I had heard of some availability issues regarding the B/15ss Sidewinder last season.
                      Elek Hutchinson
                      36M

Comment

I can't say for sure, but I think it would be only a couple of weeks, maybe less. Contact Ed Runne @ C - 973-713-3941
                        John Runne
                        2-Z

Comment

Short sale cycle

Originally posted by Hutch06 View Post
                          Does anyone know what the estimated shipping time would be for an A Sidewinder?
                          I am curious because I had heard of some availability issues regarding the B/15ss Sidewinder last season.
                          There are no availability issues, Racing Outboard has taken the time to insure all of the component parts are made in the USA and readily available.

I am curious, how many OMC's raced in how many regions before the SORC rubber stamped it into a class that eventually eliminated the KG4.

To my knowledge Racing Outboard is the first compnay to manufacture motors before it was approved to be raced when it has not been raced somewhere else ie Yamato.

Comment

I am curious, how many OMC's raced in how many regions before the SORC rubber stamped it into a class that eventually eliminated the KG4.
                            Answer: zero

Here is how it worked for me and most A stock racers in 1985:

I opened up my Feb '85 propellor magazine and found out all my KG4's and Mk15's were useless slag. I had never heard of and certainly never seen an OMC 15 at that point. Participation in A stock was significantly down the next year and has never really recovered.

The SORC's of the last 4-5 years have done a much better job implementing a much needed motor replacement. It is a difficult and thankless process.

I see an almost 30% "no" vote in this poll, but I have not heard a single reason by anyone on why they are against the Sidewinder. I would like to hear the reasoning behind casting a "no" vote in this poll.

And I dont consider:

I will never own a Sidewinder, EVER.....
                            a reason, please be helpful to the discussion.

BW
                            Last edited by B Walker; 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM.
                            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Yes, but...

Originally posted by 26V View Post
                              What is your opinion on making the 15hs Sidewinder legal in A.:skiing:
                              The Sidewinder should be allowed, but not if it's going to mean we have another KG4 scenario on our hands. Bring in the Sidewinder, allow the Mercs, and let them beat out the OMCs based on performance and driver preferences, not by a committee vote.

Michael Mackey
                              21-V
                              Michael J. Mackey
                              Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
                              Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
                              Yamato Aficionado
                              21-V

Comment

Working...
                              X