No announcement yet.

Kevlar suit certs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious if anyone could describe the nature of this new rule that's got everybody all worked up. I have yet to see anything like that in this thread. Thanks.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

I'm still trying to find somewhere that this was posted "prior" to the annual meeting that this was on the agenda. I have look everywhere i can find anything on here or on APBA site in regards to this topic.

From the Minutes:

51. Proposal from Tammy Dawe based on Pat Gleason’s safety update/explanation. Proposal read by Brian Trolian. Discussion. Proposal was as follows:

There shall be a mandatory certification on lifejackets, cut-resistant sleeves, and cut-resistant pants. The certification shall be done every four years and conducted by the manufacturer.
      Certifications shall be checked at all boat safety inspections. It is also recommended to check certifications after the final heat of each race.

52. Motion made for proposal. Second. Questions. Decision made to share with Mod and other Committees. Minimun standard. Motion passed.
      ----
      Graham18ce
      Team Canada ThunderCat
      Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
      Twitter @FralickRacing
      Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Graham, the minutes are during the meeting, not prior.

I think there was a dokument on the stock web site prior to the meeting with the proposed agenda that was taken off when the minutes were posted.

Dan, you really should go into the admin settings and take that string out. No one uses it on hydroracer

Comment

A solution without a problem

Maybe the reason this 'certification' matter caught so many by surprise is due to the fact that there aren't any statistics or much else, other than opinions or perceptions driving it. Just because it sounds like a good idea doesn't make it a problem. Wear of boots would have been a more worthy proposal.

And I certainly admire Lifeline and SRP for the quality of their products and their willingness to evaluate condition. I'm not questioning their integrity, or the minimal amount they charge for what they do. I don't even care about the UPS/FedX fee.

It just causes me to twist-N-shout when we have another piece of arbitrary legislation layered on because a scant few "no-soap" racers are wearing tattered or poorly maintained equipment.

Alex

"Cool is the rule", but "sometimes, bad is BAD" ... Huey Lewis 1986

Comment

I am aware of the minutes from the meeting. I posted that as Ryan had not see the rule as proposed in the thread.
            ----
            Graham18ce
            Team Canada ThunderCat
            Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
            Twitter @FralickRacing
            Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Safety

Published agenda items. Page (5) ( l.) (i.) Requirement of Kevlar and/or lifejackets inspections

There it is in black and white completely unnoticed.

You can debate about where or not you like the rule. But I will defend the process.
              Last edited by reed28n; 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Web site

One last thing. While I turly enjoy all of the debating on hydroracer all of the SORC do***ents will be and have been since Jan 2008 posted on the APBA Web site first.

As an APBA member and a member of the cyber space community you all have equal access to the ABPA web site and www.stockoutboard.com

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by ram95 View Post
                  Maybe the reason this 'certification' matter caught so many by surprise is due to the fact that there aren't any statistics or much else, other than opinions or perceptions driving it. Just because it sounds like a good idea doesn't make it a problem. Wear of boots would have been a more worthy proposal.
                  Alex
                  And where are the studies and statistics that state wearing Walmart boots are more protective against cuts than the Tuff-n-lite socks, kevlar booties & shoes that I wear currently?

The outer layer is not where we should be looking. A much more worthy proposal would have been cut resistant footwear and gloves.
                  Brian 10s

Comment

Cool Man...............................

Originally posted by ram95 View Post

It just causes me to 'twist-N-shout' when we have another piece of arbitrary legislation layered on

Alex

"Cool is the rule", but "sometimes, bad is BAD" ... Huey Lewis 1986
                    Wasn't that a song from the past????? Maybe late 60's????

Comment

Anyone know how much this certification costs?
                      Ryan Runne
                      9-H
                      Wacusee Speedboats
                      ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
                        Anyone know how much this certification costs?
                        I believe it's $40 for a 4 year certification and if the kevlar needs cleaning another $40. Soooooo $10 to $20 a year...
                        Last edited by Racerkyle20; 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM.
                        Kyle Bahl
                        20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

And where are the studies and statistics that state wearing Walmart boots are more protective against cuts than the Tuff-n-lite socks, kevlar booties & shoes that I wear currently?

The outer layer is not where we should be looking. A much more worthy proposal would have been cut resistant footwear and gloves.
                          Today 08:08 AM
                          I can personally say that cut socks are way more effective and give you way more protection then a pair of walmart boots(Lock Haven 07). I agree with brian..i wont race or test without my kevlar socks or gloves.
                          "ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY"
                          Johnny 24J
                          Johnny Wlodarski III
                          24J

Comment

I'm wondering about the new re-cert of cut clothes requirement. When will the rule take effect (is it being addressed as a safety issue or normal issue), to which categories will it apply, and does it say Kevlars or cut clothes. If it says Kevlar, then obviously it does not apply to the newer Spectra made suits. Please don't make the mistake of publishing the official rule using the wording that appears in Scott Reed's posting of the agenda item. If it is to mean cut suits then so state "cut suits" not Kevlars.

I'm also concerned that we have to have the suits recertified but nowhere are the specifications for the suit available. What does a cut suit have to be? I have a perefectly good cut suit made with Spectra that I bought and did not use for four seasons then after not satisfied with my older Kevlars, I started using it. The manufacturer is no longer in the business. Who recertifies my suit.? I guess an option is make your own suit ,since no specs or definition of what constitutes a cut suit exists, and then recertify it myself as the manufacturer. I know some will think I'm off base but without any specs, this situation is very real. I think APBA is remiss in not establishing a clear definition and specifications of what a cut suit must be.
                            Last edited by Jack Stotts; 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I wonder how long the average racer races in the same set of Kevlar(or whatever other cut resistant material a racer might chose).
                              Ryan Runne
                              9-H
                              Wacusee Speedboats
                              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

We not asking anyone to be quiet

Originally posted by Andrew 4CE
                                Thank you Scott. So I guess like Sam mentioned up a post or two it was removed from the website once the actual meeting mintues were posted. This is what I wanted to learn... how the system worked.
                                We can agree or disagree about the rule, but as a member you have every right to loby for or against this rule. It may very well need better definition and we (as members) can fix that.

As far as the process - it needs a little work - but we are working on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X