• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cronk View Post
    Daren
    You better check the front cowl nose on your
    JDS CMH for Mod rule.
    Happy Holidays
    Tom
    Tom, the boat was built prior to the rule, but will look into it!! The front of the cowl is "crushable" though....
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I'm with Darren, you might as well try and make your stock boat to conform to the MOD rule. I know the new CSH boat I'm building will at least conform to the MOD rule, maybe even UIM rules. It will be an updated version of the Arltralite.
      I can't quite match revolution boats price, but if people are willing to have a combination of carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass then it will be pretty close (not including hardware). This new boat will not be a total mold boat, but instead only the bottom will come out of a mold. This will allow me to make changes from boat to boat that the buyer requests. As a boat builder I encourage boats to evolve, and I feel this is the best way to do this.
      Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
        the rule does not (yet) apply to STOCK boats Mike, but since you are building a new one, why not conform anyways? The rule is "basically" a 2" radius, but here is the "official" rule in MOD: page 6 of the MOD tech manual

2. All MO hydroplane hulls built after October 31, 2007 will have the foremost points of sponson
        pickleforks that meet the following requirements for shape. The foremost points of the pickleforks
        shall have a minimum radius of 1" in one view. This minimum radius shall extend at least 45
        degrees to both sides of the foremost point. At 90 degrees to this radius conforming view, the
        foremost points on the picklefork will have a minimum thickness of ¾". This minimum thickness
        shall extend at least 45 degrees to both sides of the foremost point.
        3. All MO hydroplane hulls built after October 31, 2007 where the cockpit nose extends forward of
        the body of the hull, shall have a cockpit nose that conforms to the same requirements for shape
        as the picklefork foremost points described in paragraph 2 above.

BTW: I just "updated" a 2006/7 Hemp hydro and it took me less than 1hr......
        Thanks again. It is done and I think the rounded tips look better anyway.
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Mike, Let's see some pictures of your new CSH.
          Mark
          G-11
          125H
          When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
          Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
            the rule does not (yet) apply to STOCK boats Mike, but since you are building a new one, why not conform anyways? The rule is "basically" a 2" radius, but here is the "official" rule in MOD: page 6 of the MOD tech manual

2. All MO hydroplane hulls built after October 31, 2007 will have the foremost points of sponson
            pickleforks that meet the following requirements for shape. The foremost points of the pickleforks
            shall have a minimum radius of 1" in one view. This minimum radius shall extend at least 45
            degrees to both sides of the foremost point. At 90 degrees to this radius conforming view, the
            foremost points on the picklefork will have a minimum thickness of ¾". This minimum thickness
            shall extend at least 45 degrees to both sides of the foremost point.
            3. All MO hydroplane hulls built after October 31, 2007 where the cockpit nose extends forward of
            the body of the hull, shall have a cockpit nose that conforms to the same requirements for shape
            as the picklefork foremost points described in paragraph 2 above.

BTW: I just "updated" a 2006/7 Hemp hydro and it took me less than 1hr......
            A picture of Daren's work.....
            Attached Files
            Sean Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by stu_racing View Post
              I'm with Darren, you might as well try and make your stock boat to conform to the MOD rule. I know the new CSH boat I'm building will at least conform to the MOD rule, maybe even UIM rules. It will be an updated version of the Arltralite.
              I can't quite match revolution boats price, but if people are willing to have a combination of carbon, kevlar, and fiberglass then it will be pretty close (not including hardware). This new boat will not be a total mold boat, but instead only the bottom will come out of a mold. This will allow me to make changes from boat to boat that the buyer requests. As a boat builder I encourage boats to evolve, and I feel this is the best way to do this.
              Spencer, did you end up with Matt's molds that he built his boats from? Or did you make your own
              Sean Byrne

Comment

A friend of mine ended up with them and I have access to them. This time, however, I am building my own mold for the bottom, and possibly sponsons, with some changes that many agree need to be made from the original mold.
                Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

Originally posted by Lights View Post
                  Mike, Let's see some pictures of your new CSH.
                  We will give it a try this weekend. We have never tried posting pictures on this site so we will see what happens.

Comment

Darren

What brand epoxy are you spraying ? Any special sprayer needed ? Clean up easy or real difficult ?
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                      What brand epoxy are you spraying ? Any special sprayer needed ? Clean up easy or real difficult ?

He uses west systems and thins it with 1/3 part acetone. I believe he uses the same gravity feed spray gun he uses for automotive paint. I'll let Daren chime in about clean up.
                      Sean Byrne

Comment

If this works here are some pictures taken today.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good Job Mike

That looks great Mike, keep up the good work and keep posting the pics. What ever happened to the newpaper article on the project?

Comment

Mike, You are doing a great job on the new CSH.
                            Mark
                            G-11
                            125H
                            When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Originally posted by MJR View Post
                              That looks great Mike, keep up the good work and keep posting the pics. What ever happened to the newpaper article on the project?
                              A pipe froze at the local hospital so the first installment in the newpaper got put back a week for this big story. LOL small towns. I will send you a copy once it comes out. He plans to follow the complete construction and do an article every month till we test.

It has been in the negative temperatures for over a week. It feels like swim suit weather now that it is 32 degrees today. I did only start on the boat a week and a half ago and it took a lot of fire wood to keep the 36x48 shop at 35 to 40 degrees.

Comment

new 125 runabout

Here are some pics of a new 125 pro runabout for the 2009 season....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X