Sad news about Jeff Hutchins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news about Jeff Hutchins

I am sorry to say that after battling cancer for almost a year, Jeff lost his fight yesterday. Jeff was 59 years old.
    Jeff, along with his brother Bill, were two of the most competitive and winning drivers in APBA history. In the 1960’s, 70s, and 80s, it was everyone’s dream to win races against Hutch. Jeff was everyone’s friend both on and off the race course. Jeff’s father, the late William T. Huchins, who also raced, put Jeff in an ASH at age 11. Jeff would go on to win national titles in ASH, BSH, 15 Hydro, 25 Hydro, Super C Hydro, E-mod Hydro, 500 Hydro, F (1100) Hydro. In 1978 Jeff would go on to win his most exciting race ever-the World Championship at Dayton, OH in 500cc Hydro. With 11 different countries represented, out of 50 Americans, only 5 were allowed into the finals. In all, 4 heats of the finals with 23 boats, Jeff would win three out of the four heats against the greats like Jerry and Danny Kirts and would bring home the trophy.

Along with achieving 15 competition and kilo records, Jeff was inducted into the Hall of Champions in 1975, 1976, 1982. I think the only time Jeff ever lost was to this terrible disease.

To me he was both a mentor and a good friend. He is the father of my three beautiful nieces. We will all miss you, Jeff.

During his illness, Jeff was cared for by my sister Kelli and their daughters. Condolences may be sent to:
    Kelli Hutchins and their daughters, Nicole, Jennifer and Theresa
    3914 Meadow Lark Ct
    Land O Lakes, FL 34639

Joe Zolkoske 3-W

Rest in Peace Jeff. You were always a great friend and a pleasure to be around. I enjoyed seeing at each event. Our sincere condolences to the entire family.

The Nichols
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Thanks for posting this Joey. Rest in peace Jeff - my deepest sympathies to all of Jeff's family. This is how I remember Jeff

Mark Demaray

Comment

My families condolences at this time. Our prayers are with your family.Both of our racing families go back to the early 60's and Jeff and I raced against one another many times of which it was usually Jeff on top, many times because he was upside down in the turn.We both ran Hedlund's and he always set the benchmark of who's who to beat. I have many fond memories of Jeff and wish I could share them all. He was a fierce competitor and a friend , he will be missed by many.

Herb Lanphear Jr / Herb Lanphear Sr

Comment

I am very sorry to hear of Jeff's passing. He was a great competitor and a good man. Our prayers go out to Jeff's family and friends. May he be in the big race in heaven in peace.

Jim Kirts and the Kirts family

Comment

Jeff Hutchins..........

Rest in peace, my friend. Lake Paradise has a new resident............

Comment

I have seen allot of great drivers in my sixty years of boatracing, but Jeff was the best at the starting line, that I have seen. I raced against him a few times and he always beat me to the line. The What's Up Doc? Racing Team is sadden to hear we have lost one of the best in our sport.

Comment

I feel honored to say I raced against Jeff. He was one of the best in boat racing. God bless you Jeff.......Bob Rusnak N-96

Comment

Condolences to the Hutchins family May Jeff rest in peace! Always a smiling face.
                  !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

This is sad to hear, God bless this family
                    Mike Thierfelder

Comment

We are saddened to hear of Jeff's passing. He was one of the most competitive drivers
                      in everything he drove.
                      Boat Racing has lost a true Champion.
                      Our heartfelt condolences go out to Kelli and the girls.
                      R.I.P. Jeff
                      THe Schaubs

Comment

Thanks for the post, Jo-Jo, even if if did spoil my day. I always considered Jeff and Billy as really great set up guys who thoroughly understood how things worked and then were able to maximize their results. They won tons of races and Jeff had success in many different types of boats. He did drive a 750cc PRO rig for a bit and then gave it up. I was asking him about it and he said they were testing somewhere in Florida on a smaller lake and the boat was running 127 and still accelerating when he ran out of space. He said it was just too fast. Up to then, I considered him fearless but as I look back, it was just that he UNDERSTOOD it and the risk. Somebody else did drive it and soon after was unfortunately killed in it.

Godspeed, Jeff.

Sam and Bill

Comment

Very sorry to hear this. A true legend in our time. Condolences to the family.

Rick Fralick

Comment

Rip jeff

This is a sad day for my family as well. My brother and I raced against Jeff for years in Florida. Later on we were team drivers for Elmer Grades pro team in the 80s. Jeff and I would pull the BIG GREEN ELMERS FLEET all over the country to pro races. Jeff was a great story teller on our long trips together, and never had a bad word to say about anyone. He was also one of the top drivers of our time and along with brother Billy and dad WT, they were the best for many years. You are in our thoughts and prayers Jeff. Tim and Tom Small

Comment

Condolences to all of Jeffs family

I can still remember watching Jeff win races whenever he showed up.
                              Not only one of the best drivers that I ever had the pleasure of watching, but also a great person to be around. I don't remember ever meeting Jeffs brother, but I do remember his Dad.

Our prayers are with the Hutchins Family.

Barbara and Bob Keogler
                              Kegs

Comment

Working...
                              X