No announcement yet.

Sad news about Jeff Hutchins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll never forget the ASH finals in Dayton, '81. I had won the first heat, and my dad said "I don't know what to tell you, I've never been in your shoes before" Not long after, Jeff walked over and said "Just remember, you don't have to win both heats". I think he knew he could help me and he did. It all worked out for me, and I regret never having told Jeff how much that meant to me. But I think he knew. Jeff was a great competitor, who loved to race. I haven't seen Jeff in years, but I'll miss him all the same.
    My condolences to all of Jeff's family.
    Ken France

Comment

Jeff told me this story at a race in Jacksonville Fla. some time in the 70's. He said that when he first started racing he turned over a lot, he said my brother never turned over. One day after he had turned over he said his dad looked at him, an said son, I just don't think you are going to make a boat racer. Boy was he wrong. Another story. Jeff was showing me his 500 Hydro ride(before Elmer). He said all his life he had watched the Pro drivers drive these boat at amazing speeds and thought boy, those are great drivers to be able to do that. He said his first ride in the 500H was the best thing by far he had ever driven and then he knew he was as good as the pro drivers,he said all this time I have been beating the he## out of myself driving these A and B stock boats, In no way did he mean anything negative about the Pro drivers just that the boat's drove great. I had a 500 Yale Hydro in 85 the same as he drove for Elmer. One morning at the Motel he told me he had seen the boat I had get up before and for me to be careful with it I never forgot that when I drove that boat I still have it today, so thank's Jeff for being my friend I will miss you.
      Last edited by Danny Pigott; 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Memorial Service Information for Jeff Hutchins

Hello All--

This is Nicole Hutchins, one of Jeff's daughters. I am posting this info under my mothers username.

On behalf of my entire family, we would like to take the time to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to post comments and share stories of memories you had with our Dad. Your kind words and loving thoughts are much appreciated.

We would like to let everybody know the information for the memorial service this weekend.

Saturday April 30th at 3pm
        Michael A Brochetti Funeral Home
        404 Plaza Avenue
        Lake Placid, FL 33852

Thank you again for all of your support.

--The Hutchins Family
        Kaz48W

Comment

My father Jack and late uncle Jim used to tell MANY Jeff Hutchins stories every week during breaks and after work at our lumber mill. I will always remember and know how great he was just from those stories. If you impressed my uncle, you were the best. Our condolences to the entire Hutchins/Zolkoske families.

The Brewster Family
          www.trora.com

Comment

lightened the photo up so it was easier on some of us older folks eyes.
            Attached Files
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Ken France's post about an ASH Nationals reminded me of another one. It was the Wakefield Nationals in 1984 (?). We had a new kid, Jeff Ruenzel, in BSH who was running really well. Unlike most new guys, he and his dad jumped into racing first class with a new boat and a new B Hot Rod. Wakefield was his first Nationals and his first year of racing. He easily made the finals and won the first heat. Jeff H was running but had some issues- maybe motor or maybe he flipped but anyway, he was out of contention. We were really on Ruenzel between heats that he had the inside track to the championship and not to do anything dumb. We specifically told him that if Hutch got out in front the second heat, there was no need to pass him or even race with him. Race smart and just win the Nationals!

Well, Hutch got a start and was out with a big lead but eventually Ruenzel got free from the others and chased him down and passed him on the outside just like we all imagined ourselves doing in dreams but never did. So he won both heats. When he came back to inspection, he was ecstatic, not so much that he had won the race, but that he had passed Jeff Hutchins. Even in his first year, he knew that Hutch was the ultimate champion and that to pass him was something that not many could say they did. His line was "I knew I didn't have to pass him but I wanted to." was not to insult Hutch but rather to show even as a rookie that he respected Hutch and his achievements and not to race him hard would have been insulting.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

This is Jennifer Hutchins, Jeff's third daughter. I just wanted to thank everyone for posting their stories and memories of my dad. I look at this site every day now and it has been a big help for me along with the rest of my family. Its amazing how many lives he touched over the years. My father quit racing when I was really little, so I didn't remember much of him racing other than from the pictures we have. The stories here are great.

Thank You again for all of your support it truly means a lot!

Jen Hutch

Comment

Hi Jen.........Hope you are holding up as well as can be expected. Knowing what a loss you have had, there are many people in the racing world you haven't heard from. If you google your Dad's name, I think you might be surprised that not only was he an icon here in the states, but around the world. We used to butt heads while he was driving for Gene Apel back in the 60's, and I think we have an even record against each other. The one thing that I always looked forward to going to a race was waiting to see if he found that extra mph to get out front. He usually did..........and it made me work a little harder to keep up...........or make him look for a little more out of what ever he was driving. I was honored to be his friend, and will miss him greatly. The Hutchin's legacy will live on and there will always be some good stories out there about Jeff, Billy, and W.T. Hope you get to hear them all.

Comment

I share a "Hutch" wheel/prop with Charlie Fry......it is one of his (Charlie) prized possessions.

Never met the Hutches............My loss.

Condlolences,
                    100N/STEVE FRENCH
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                    X