No announcement yet.

Flying High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember racing ASH in Huntington Beach LI in the early 70's. Once you got over the breakers the water was alright, just the 2' -3' rollers made the turns interesting. One guy didn't make it off the beach because he stuffed into a breaker and went over backwards with the pit crews' hands still on the stern handles.
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

• does this qualify?????

Not sure if this qualifies as flying high or not but it might make for good conversation '''
      Attached Files

Comment

• Can't really beat sponsonhead's CSR pic, but here is mine heading into a bit of a head wind

Pretty sure this was the start, heading for the clock. (as you can see I was a bit behind)
        Attached Files
        Silas Jordan
        Windham, Maine
        CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
        Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

• PRO250ccR

That was my 250ccR on that jon boat! I remember that one. The bottom broke and the boat was leaking. Nationals- DePue, IL. I made it to the shore before it filled the boat with water. The boat would have sunk if we towed it behind the tow boat. The engine never went under water, so I didn't want it to sink. After a new bottom on that old boat- we were ready to go for a few more years! That boat had a great history- Jack Kugler, Mike O'Brien, Mitch Meyer and Peter Crowley. It was 16 years old when it broke the 250ccR 1 2/3 mile record.... again.

Comment

• the one and only

And thats my jon boat giving you the ride Pete. I towed plenty of boats with the rope in my 10 plus years on the water at DePue but this was the only time that I carried one back to the pits. You were coming out of turn 2 and heading for the start/finish line then an abrupt turn to the shore. I saw you going down but had to wait for the heat to finish and barely made it. You were out of the boat and trying to keep it up. I remember your guy in the front of the boat ran all the way down to where you were to help which was a pretty good distance.

Comment

• DePue

It looks like I need to say thank you! That happened about 15 years ago (almost 20 years ago)… I also remember the fans at DePue. They are the most knowledgeable fans I have ever seen at any boat race. When we were getting near the launch-ramp (on your jon boat) on our trip towards my pit area, I heard some clapping and cheering from the crowd. Once I realized that they were cheering for me, I waved to those people and I got a really big response. Their cheers told me that they appreciated what we racers were doing. I have always liked racing at DePue. The people are friendly and there is such a wonderful atmosphere there. The Men’s Club are into the event and do a lot of work… I think everyone appreciates what the other people do to create such an event. It takes a long time to get there from the Boston area, but I look forward to it each year. I have great memories of that race…. the two that I won (250ccH/93) (250ccR/95), the one that Bobbie won (125ccH/94). Our experience in PRO1100ccR- Bobbie won (94) as a deck rider and my daughter coming in second as a deck rider (99?).
              I also had my problems along the way- the times that my runabout bottom broke…. Finishing second so many times when I could have won. I remember throwing a blade on my best propeller, while coming up for the start in elimination heat 1 in 250ccH (94). A broken coil ground in my first race in Randy Pringle’s 500ccH (94)…. I could have won that one too! My son racing KPRO in 2009 & 2010 and spending a week with his Grandfather (175ccH/08) and his oldest brother.

Comment

• Mark Sharley Photos

This guy is great.....
                Attached Files
                Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

• You are off the hook...at least you gave me photo credit!!!

Comment

• You are off the hook...at least you gave me photo credit!!!

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Waiting for the glue to dry.... Here's to Flying High (or lack thereof) in 2013.
                        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• Here's a pic of my friend and team mate Mike Affholter. Taken on Mullet lake during the 2012 TopO Mich marathon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Mikey

Great picture !!! It's amazing to see Mike still doing this in that small ass boat.
                            Most people would be a cripple by now doing that. I think it's the beer ---- oops, I mean the water he drinks that makes him so tough.
                            Tom L.

Comment

• Scott outboard record attempt

Get up on the deck,get up on the deck,get the hell up on the deck.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Tomtall; 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM.
                              Tom L.

Comment

• Originally posted by Islandmon View Post
                                Here's a pic of my friend and team mate Mike Affholter. Taken on Mullet lake during the 2012 TopO Mich marathon.
                                And I can't wait to go back to Top 'O. Sometimes I wonder why! Due to my last round trip on Mullet I could just about roll out of the boat and let a couple of kids put it on the cart for me. **** what a day, but I will remember it for the rest of my life. Can't wait to do it again while I still can. Finances are the only determining factor.
                                kk

Comment

Working...
                                X