New J Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
    I see a pattern here... Stock wants to die the slow painfull death it is heading for. Anything new is opposed....... Tahotsu, Yamato 302 at first, I could go on but won't... jeeze people, stop and think ahead for once instead of the present.
    I'll go Dave one farther. Stop thinking of the past. Stock racing isn't in a painful death. It's dead! It has been dead for a long-long time. I love the idea of the new Sidewinder, but I was a teenager the last time a Champion Hot Rod came off the assembly line. Now, I've had an AARP card for many years.

If you guys like to burn gasoline or whatever that stuff they sell down on the corner is now days, then put some smaller jets in a Rossi. You can buy one brand new.

My first race was with a BU, and I have run a little stock over the years. But in my return to racing I would not even consider the stock division. It's a corpse - The Night of the Living Dead of Racing.

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
      <snip> ... I'll go Dave one farther. Stop thinking of the past.
      Can't stop thinking of the past ...

Always loved this Boat Sport cover particularly the picture of Billy S with his "J" engine ... anybody recall how fast he went in "J" 50 years ago? Any reason kids should go any faster in "J" today? Anybody think he didn't have fun then? Would your nine year old kids (or grandkids) have just as much fun today?

PS: to Ron Hill ... note the cover story "new" 36 engines
      Attached Files
      Untethered from reality!

Comment

J Runabout 50 years ago

Billy said he went 30 mph.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Be careful T-Chance....

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'll be the first to admit SO has its problems.

But if SO is dead...then what do you call Pro? I love the category...speed and noise. It's very cool.

But compare the PRO numbers to 15-20 years ago. Think you're better off?

11 125R's
          13 250R's
          24 125H's
          16 500H's
          12 700H's

Uh...you call that brimming with life?? I don't. New motors are great, but only if people are using them.

And where can I buy a C Service engine? Or what about a CSH...oops...I mean an OSY 400...Pro's biggest class?

Dana Holt

Comment

Right on Dana!

3-

After that post, I would love to buy you about two thousand beers in Constantine! Way to bring factual content to this discussion.

Comment

thank god we are done with j class

Comment

Sorry to mix threads but ...

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'll be the first to admit SO has its problems.

But if SO is dead...then what do you call Pro? I love the category...speed and noise. It's very cool.

But compare the PRO numbers to 15-20 years ago. Think you're better off?

11 125R's
                13 250R's
                24 125H's
                16 500H's
                12 700H's

Uh...you call that brimming with life?? I don't. New motors are great, but only if people are using them.

And where can I buy a C Service engine? Or what about a CSH...oops...I mean an OSY 400...Pro's biggest class?

Dana Holt
                So, If the proposed Stock Rule 21 were applied to the Pro category the only national class would be OSY 400?
                Untethered from reality!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder View Post
                  So, If the proposed Stock Rule 21 were applied to the Pro category the only national class would be OSY 400?
                  Isn't it ironic the 2 largest classes in PRO are Stock

My bad KPRO is third largest.
                  KPro-21
                  125H-24
                  250H-28

The first and third classes.
                  Last edited by ricochet112; 03-21-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

After only looking at the first post I have to say, this is exactly what the J class needs. It would be cheap, and easy to put together. As a matter of fact this sounds like it would be an excellent project for Racing Outboards to take on. I bet they could pop out conversion kits for cheap, and have $1000 J motors that could be purchased ready to race on the internet. Dave M talked about the cost of racing in the Proposal 21 thread, and he was absolutely right. This is supposed to be grassroots racing, cost should be a factor in our decision making. We have made some rules lately that will greatly increase the cost of racing for current and prospective drivers. Something like this for our Junior class could be invaluable to promoting our sport.
                    Ryan Runne
                    9-H
                    Wacusee Speedboats
                    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Originally posted by BP125V View Post
                      What would be wrong with running it bone stock and having a 25 mph class for 9-10 year olds? Yes I know it dilutes the numbers of entries, but I think we need to be thinking along these lines.

This engine might be the basis for a good starter class to get new people off the street involved. They run it for a year or two and then they can invest in a Merc or OMC to move up in the ranks.

For $650 I'd consider it for my 9 year old just so we won't have to do engine changes for the next several years.

Bill
                      25 MPH, you mean what JSR used to run. Throw these things on a 7 1/2' roll-up boat and do some testing and you have a real J class again.
                      Ryan Runne
                      9-H
                      Wacusee Speedboats
                      ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse_Swain View Post
                        3-

After that post, I would love to buy you about two thousand beers in Constantine! Way to bring factual content to this discussion.
                        Ditto, well said buddy.
                        Ryan Runne
                        9-H
                        Wacusee Speedboats
                        ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
                          After only looking at the first post I have to say, this is exactly what the J class needs. It would be cheap, and easy to put together. As a matter of fact this sounds like it would be an excellent project for Racing Outboards to take on. I bet they could pop out conversion kits for cheap, and have $1000 J motors that could be purchased ready to race on the internet. Dave M talked about the cost of racing in the Proposal 21 thread, and he was absolutely right. This is supposed to be grassroots racing, cost should be a factor in our decision making. We have made some rules lately that will greatly increase the cost of racing for current and prospective drivers. Something like this for our Junior class could be invaluable to promoting our sport.

You better read more, ignorance isn't bliss.

Comment

Mike,
                            Your concerns have been noted. My Dad and I have been working on this project for about 2 years with the Mini-Most. We have been working directly with the VIPS of Briggs. They have given us some advice.
                            We have copied your concerns and will be meeting with factory officials soon with your concerns.
                            You just may be right, as this is an experiment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
                            The Briggs engine we had at Ocoee has about 100 hours on it. Many of them very hard hours with the testing, especially on the J boat.
                            I have no shrapnoe in me yet. We have no shavings or lower unit problems yet. We will keep you informed.
                            We started the project to develope a starter or fun class for a cost of under $1000. We are way under budget with the mini most and besides it is fun for the family.
                            Hope that helps.
                            Tony Staron

Comment

Originally posted by PRAOF View Post
                              Mike,
                              Your concerns have been noted. My Dad and I have been working on this project for about 2 years with the Mini-Most. We have been working directly with the VIPS of Briggs. They have given us some advice.
                              We have copied your concerns and will be meeting with factory officials soon with your concerns.
                              You just may be right, as this is an experiment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
                              The Briggs engine we had at Ocoee has about 100 hours on it. Many of them very hard hours with the testing, especially on the J boat.
                              I have no shrapnoe in me yet. We have no shavings or lower unit problems yet. We will keep you informed.
                              We started the project to develope a starter or fun class for a cost of under $1000. We are way under budget with the mini most and besides it is fun for the family.
                              Hope that helps.
                              Tony Staron

WOW! That's amazing.
                              What Rpm's are you running?
                              I the Rev limiter still hooked up?
                              Have you been running the stock prop?
                              Failure is nothing more than a learning experience!

Are you sure you talked to someone from the Briggs factory. After losing a law suit involving a go-kart and a standard 5.5hp engine (caught on fire when it flipped over) they get real leery of anyone using their products for something other than the intended use. And giving out info to help you would be acknowledging and approving it non-intended use. I think it would be great if they were helpful though.

An economical "J" starter class is ESSENTIAL for our survival.

Comment

The talks with the Briggs VIPS was not about racing. It was about the mini most. You can see pictures of the mini most on this thread. It is the 001 boat. A family project that put together with both boat and motor is way under $1000 including a cool paint job.
                                AOF has a "novice" class that is non competitive. Anyone from 9 to 99 who just wants to go for a ride. Everyone wins. The mini most would fit in this type of category except run around 25 mph and be FUN.
                                The J concept came later. That may be a different story. What we have learned is that we have some alternatives. If no the B and S, maybe something else. Just takes the guts to try it.
                                As far as the other questions:
                                yes yes yes yes
                                and no no no no.
                                In otherwords, we have tried everything and done it all ways.
                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X