New J Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk

PLEASE?!!! You buy a $2500 Merc, OMC or Yamato and you MUST tear the thing apart, you have to bore it, new pistons, hone the rods and the crank, tear the lower unit apart, shape it, shim it, plug all the holes in the block, adjust the carb and they still snap pipes, burn pistons, break cranks (and throw the heavy Merc flywheel around), throw rods, blow head gaskets (I could go on and on).

None of the stuff we race was built to do what we do with it. I will assure you of this, though: if it has limits and can break, we're gonna figure out where that line is. Stay tuned. Eddie.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

new J engine

What would be wrong with running it bone stock and having a 25 mph class for 9-10 year olds? Yes I know it dilutes the numbers of entries, but I think we need to be thinking along these lines.

This engine might be the basis for a good starter class to get new people off the street involved. They run it for a year or two and then they can invest in a Merc or OMC to move up in the ranks.

For $650 I'd consider it for my 9 year old just so we won't have to do engine changes for the next several years.

Bill
      Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Wow.....

I see a pattern here... Stock wants to die the slow painfull death it is heading for. Anything new is opposed....... Tahotsu, Yamato 302 at first, I could go on but won't... jeeze people, stop and think ahead for once instead of the present. At least give it the chance to be tested before ripping it apart...

You want open minds, run Mod or Pro.... you can try just about anything. Mod has the prototype rule in, it could be tried there...... that is if stock deems all engines junk except their 40 year old Yamatos that have not been produced for a long long time... Model 80..... Model 102......... Not to mention the 44XS Merc has been out of factory production for a long long time. Oh yeah, the 25 stocker..... when was the last one rolled off the assembly line ? Did I forget anything.. oh yeah, the J and A stock engine.... been gone long time unless you buy a Merc that is only good for AXS. Wait, there are 8 classes you can run that Evinrude in and it has not been produced for a long time....

Seems like this objection to new engines sure is working.......
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

I like the idea. Let's see what happens from testing. What works? What doesn't last?

I agree with BP125V. For argument's sake, let's say that we were to run these stock, including rev limiter, with or without the stock prop in a J category class. OK, so it's slow, so what? If it's targeted for J kids as young as 9 years old, then the speed is a non issue. It's more a matter of inexpensive, available equipment.

Speaking from a graduated J parent, there is nothing more frustrating that wondering if your kid is going to get on plane or not. With the 2:1 gear ratio, this would resolve that problem.

And a conversion kit has already been developed that easily bolts on to the stock unit.

Heck, as a kid long before I built or raced boats, I was more that happy to try to eek 25 MPH out of my grandpa's old fishingboat. It was just plain fun.

Bill B.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
            I see a pattern here... Stock wants to die the slow painfull death it is heading for. Anything new is opposed....... Tahotsu, Yamato 302 at first, I could go on but won't... jeeze people, stop and think ahead for once instead of the present. At least give it the chance to be tested before ripping it apart...

You want open minds, run Mod or Pro.... you can try just about anything. Mod has the prototype rule in, it could be tried there...... that is if stock deems all engines junk except their 40 year old Yamatos that have not been produced for a long long time... Model 80..... Model 102......... Not to mention the 44XS Merc has been out of factory production for a long long time. Oh yeah, the 25 stocker..... when was the last one rolled off the assembly line ? Did I forget anything.. oh yeah, the J and A stock engine.... been gone long time unless you buy a Merc that is only good for AXS. Wait, there are 8 classes you can run that Evinrude in and it has not been produced for a long time....

Seems like this objection to new engines sure is working.......
            It has nothing to do with being closed minded to something new, it's about making intelligent decisions.

Problem is, this isn't an outboard , IT'S A LAWNMOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is used it will take MORE modifications than most engines to keep it in one piece, if it's ran over 4,00 RPM's

See my earlier post on bearings.

Mike Bartlett
            Bartlett's Marine & Mower
            Briggs & Stratton Master Sales and Service Dealer
            Certified Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician

Keep the rev limiter on and the speeds under 20-25 and it will work for a little while.
            There's a reason MSRP is $849, it's disposable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by ricochet112; 03-21-2007, 09:29 AM. Reason: ADD

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
              PLEASE?!!! You buy a $2500 Merc, OMC or Yamato and you MUST tear the thing apart, you have to bore it, new pistons, hone the rods and the crank, tear the lower unit apart, shape it, shim it, plug all the holes in the block, adjust the carb and they still snap pipes, burn pistons, break cranks (and throw the heavy Merc flywheel around), throw rods, blow head gaskets (I could go on and on).

None of the stuff we race was built to do what we do with it. I will assure you of this, though: if it has limits and can break, we're gonna figure out where that line is. Stay tuned. Eddie.

See my post on bearings, the entire engine has bushing bearings.

Air Cooled, AIR COOLED, if it ran on 65 degree days it would be OK.

Buy any off the shelf REAL marine outboard, seal it and use it completely STOCK. A 10hp doesn't cost $2500.

I'm done , if an experts professional opinion means nothing to you, then good luck you'll need it.

It may work for a little while, IF you keep the speed low AND IF the rev limiter stays hooked up.

Comment

I knew it.....

I knew that would set you off!
                17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Expert Opinion

Mike: I do appreciate the opinion. Even if the thing doesn't work and blows up, we're gonna have fun doing it. I already had half a day of fun with Carl Staron and got to know the Mackrells from Florida doing it. Good people (and fast, too; watch out for the kid). Eddie.
                  14-H

Comment

Originally posted by BP125V View Post
                    What would be wrong with running it bone stock and having a 25 mph class for 9-10 year olds? **Bill
                    Maybe we should have that as the J class; use the current J as AX; use AX as A; use sidewinder 15 for B; use sidewinder 20 for C and use the Yamatos for D and the Mercs/Tohatsu for E? Ed.

17-W: I just one-upped ya'. Watch this...
                    14-H

Comment

Neat Engine...............

It was fun watching the 5hp Briggs & Stratton engine do it's thing on a small hydro. The neat thing is you could race the motor on a weekend and go home and put the powerhead on your lawnmower and cut the grass!!! Talk about versatile.

All kidding aside, Carl did a great job putting this presentation together. It appears to have real merit.

Later

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                        The neat thing is you could race the motor on a weekend and go home and put the powerhead on your lawnmower and cut the grass!!! Talk about versatile.
                        Tad Olson was doing that a few years ago... HAHA
                        Attached Files
                        Fralick Racing
                        Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Thanks Ed

Mike: I do appreciate the opinion. Even if the thing doesn't work and blows up, we're gonna have fun doing it. I already had half a day of fun with Carl Staron and got to know the Mackrells from Florida doing it. Good people (and fast, too; watch out for the kid). Eddie.
                          As long as you keep the expectations realistic, ENJOY!

Please post pics of the block with the rod hangin' out the side

Comment

A better solution

All outboard manufactures make 9.9hp motors for under 10hp lakes. Use them, not some throw away lawn mower motor.

Here is what I propose:

Any 9.9 hp standard manufacture outboard motor no older than 25 years (motors older than 25 years that are essentially the same may still be used) They can be 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

Allowable modifications: Steering & throttle controls, kill switch and solid motor mounts. Thrust bracket may be added.

Propeller: A spec. Racing propeller that will adapt to the motors.

Boats: Find a boat that works well with this kind of motor. I could be a Hydro, Runabout, or Deep V.

Advantages:
                            Motor supply, almost endless with a price range from $200 to $2500.

I am sure there will be some opposition, like, too easy to cheat since they can be easily change to a 15hp – that’s what we have inspectors for.

Will one prop work for all the motors? Since they all turn the same way, I am sure some sort of sleeve or adaptor can be made. We will not be trying for the world’s fastest prop, just one that will run 25-30 mph and gets on plane easy.

I would be glad to help with developing a boat design that would work. After it is developed I can sell kits.

Darrell Sorensen

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 4CE View Post
                              Tad Olson was doing that a few years ago... HAHA
                              OMG! I was going to mention the ONLY air-cooled engine that is FULLY needle and ball bearing'd is the Lawn-Boy. Get rid of that old "F" engine, 4.5hp, and stick a 6.5hp Dura-Force Lawn-Boy powerhead on it and it would work.

But sadly it's out of production
                              Last edited by ricochet112; 03-21-2007, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Get it done.....

Maybe we should have that as the J class; use the current J as AX; use AX as A; use sidewinder 15 for B; use sidewinder 20 for C and use the Yamatos for D and the Mercs/Tohatsu for E? Ed.

17-W: I just one-upped ya'. Watch this...
                                Make it happen, I will put Sara in one (2yrs to go).
                                17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Working...
                                X