Should CSH be a Legal Pro Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Green!

GO COUGS! My boat will never ever be an color close to any sort of shade of Oregon green, Crimson and gray all the way. Sorry a little off topic.

Jamie was running at about 380lbs before nationals, but that was all boat.

Most guys around region 10 that are quick in OSY are running under 400 or close to it, but guys going to nationals and winning nationals are all smaller guys, Billy Allen for example. That body type you can't help, but if I had a choice between a Billy Allen 150lbs or a 14 year old kid at 150lbs (or smaller)running OSY i'll go with Billy. The difference is experience in this class.

Kyle
    20-R
    Kyle Bahl
    20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Common Threads among PRO Classes

I am thinking about the question Ed originaly posed, "Should CSH be a legal PRO Class?".

What is the most common thread among the majority of PRO Classes? While most racers utilize methanol for fuel today, this is not a mandate except for OSY 400 and K PRO. There is no reason that a driver cannot use gasoline or ethanol or any other liquid fuel. The pRO category has a long tradition of encouraging innovation with as few constraints on the imagination as possible.

No, the common thread is that the engines are specifically constrcuted as racing engines (K PRO being an exception with the Johnsons). Yamato 80's, 102's, 202's and 302's are built expressly for racing. 99% of the engines in 125cc thru 1100cc are constructed with the specific intent of being utilized as racing engines.

As this is certainly the case, perhaps we should expand Ed's original notion further. I propose that any outboard engine that is designed and constructed as "racing engine first" should fall within the PRO category. This would then clearly define what engines fall into SO and what engines fall into PRO. As the PRO classes are already defined by displacement, there would be no reason to add another PRO class. The SO category could then focus on the development and competition of true "service" engines that are made into racing engines via lower unit modifications and throttle controls (if necessary in either case). As most "stock" racing classifications strive for engine parity this seems like a potential solution that would allow each category to focus on its traditional racing mission.

DWW
      F-77
      David Weaver

Comment

Overlap and OSY

I think a few have agreed that the key to the whole overlap rule is the enforcement. We need to modify the stock rule just because we cannot consistantly enforce it from the turn boat at the vantage point our race courses provide. The offended driver always has the best view and still cannot tell you how far ahead the boat that "chopped" was. The offending driver cannot tell exactly the distance to the trailing boat is either and rather than have someone looking over their shoulder with a slide rule calculating distance, I would rather have him looking ahead to see where the hell he is going.

OSY vs C Pro=OSY C=Stock can't seem to figure out the conflict. I am a stocker and C Stock is the most consistant and healthy class year after year. Don't touch it, it is the best we have, next to CSR. Let the Pro category have their fun and vote on the improvements they want to make to their OSY class. It has helped the Pro to bring some stock drivers around and sometimes vise versa...... if local race committees want to race both go for it. We can't possibly legislate California from New York......so race what you need to locally these categories do not often conflict their are bigger fish to fry between Stock and Mod who run together more frequently.
        Last edited by reed28n; 10-24-2006, 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

So why do most clubs now run BOTH OSY-400 and CSH? I haven't heard this explanation yet. Ed.[/QUOTE]

In region 10 we discount our 2nd and 3rd entry fee's, it's usually $15 for a third entry. All it takes is a paddle and you have more time on the water.

For me it's a weight issue, I'm 390'ish in my new boat. (Dang I miss 25ssH)

And to answer your question, CSH "is" a legal Pro class it's called OSY400

Comment

The reason that we run both in Region 5, is that we have some lighter drivers( Joey Pinner, Joel Brown, BJ Tetro, etc.) that do not want to run a boat with 50 Lbs.+ lead to make csh weight. We also run both classes because the extra boats that run osy help pay for us to race.

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
              stay in college for a long time (Pat probably does not want to hear that!), so you get fatter and slower in CSH/CSR also!!!!!

as to the Cali driver, he is not even in his 20's yet, if it is who I think you are talking about (TL), but there is another Cali driver older that probably weighs the same and drives a lime green Dawe (huh, both drive Dawecrafts! and probably do not weigh 150 soak and wet! ).......
              He needs to add lead to make ASH wt. and 30 years old
              bill b

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver

<snip> ... perhaps we should expand Ed's original notion further. I propose that any outboard engine that is designed and constructed as "racing engine first" should fall within the PRO category. This would then clearly define what engines fall into SO and what engines fall into PRO.
                DWW
                F-77
                David ... what would we do with Ron Selewach and Racing Outboards LLC??
                Untethered from reality!

Comment

Put the first couple...

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder
                  David ... what would we do with Ron Selewach and Racing Outboards LLC??
                  ....on Jonh Boats and go fishing. Then claim that these were originally intended as fishing engines and get around the rule, in the best SO tradition!!

My post was in jest Dr. Thunder. I hope that Racing Outboard, LLC is very successful in its endeavors, as well as the rest of the SO category. I suggest that the SO Commission concern itself with SO matters and I assure all that the PRO Commission will do the same for PRO matters.

DWW
                  F-77
                  David Weaver

Comment

this is stupid , my son and I run C service, C racing, CSHand 20ssh.
                    If it was not for the old iron none of you would be racing now
                    I have stock stuff because I am not big budget race team. We do it for
                    the fun. When you lose the fun it becomes work. My famliy has been
                    boat racing for over 40 yrs. If you want follow UIM rules to the letter than all class should have too. But why ruin it is all for the fun of RACING!

Comment

Working...
                    X