• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point....

Originally posted by greybeard
    Its in da book...

Saftey rule 6 - Accidents/Flips
    3. If the driver of a non reenforced cockpit boat enters the water the heat shall be stopped unless the driver is clearly out of danger.

4. Turn Judges, Race Committee, Referee.... .... have the authority to stop a heat.
    My point ... heat should have stopped but was not in my opinion .... so how does SO facilitate such safety issues. Its in da book is a start (but in the end did not matter).... one suggestion was to mindfully put rookie types like myself in turn boats with experienced drivers.
    BOPP

Comment

Red Flag

It is the turn judges who have the initial responsibility to determine if a driver is in a dangerous situation. If you think it's dangerous, MAKE THE CALL!!! That's why we have a red flag. I don't know a single referee that will argue with that. If one does, maybe they shouldn't be responsible for our safety, ie. referee. Turn boat operators need to learn to get right up to the enterance of the turn and REALLY wave the red. If need be get right up to the downed/flipped boat and sheild the driver. If you're inexperienced, get in the front of the boat and do flags. It is up to the referee and race committee to make sure they have people who know what they're doing operating the turn and rescue boats, as well as the radios. It also wouldn't hurt for clubs to have little refresher on pocedures of safety equipment operation at they're first race of the season.

None of us make a living racing. IT'S A HOBBY!!! We all need to remember that and keep it both fun AND safe
      Kevin 37-J

Comment

Originally posted by DougMc
        Unless I missed it, no one has brought up helmet restraints.

Are helmet restraints good or bad? Would it break my neck or save my neck? Should they be recommended or required? Does the helmet get damaged when putting the rivots into the helmet?

What about neck colars?

What about flack protection in jackets?

Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...

Comment

my thoughts........

Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...
          Doug, I had the helmet restraints system installed on my new SRP helmet when I bought it a couple years ago. I found that in the "kneeler" classes, it was too much of a hinderance for me, using the system, as it greatly reduced my ability to turn my head quickly to each side, when looking for other drivers approaching me or me making a lane change. I did not have a problem with the setup when I ran my laydown hydro, as you really do not have the ability to turn completely around, like in a kneeler, so it was not a hinderance. I "think" the collar is a better solution in "kneelers" and the restraint system better suited for "laydown" type boats. But, there are several people using the restraint setups nicely in the "kneelers". But, I do not think it would be good to make them mandatory. Have you tried one?
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drbyrne55
            My point ... heat should have stopped but was not in my opinion .... so how does SO facilitate such safety issues. Its in da book is a start (but in the end did not matter).... one suggestion was to mindfully put rookie types like myself in turn boats with experienced drivers.
            usually the heat will not be stopped if the drivers waves his hands signaling he is OK and the race has become sort of spread out, where that driver can be seen by oncming boats. I personally do not feel the heat should be stopped EVERY time a driver has an accident in the turn or somewhere else, UNLESS all the other boats are still bunched up and the possible fin spray would hinder their site of the driver in the water. Hell, I have dumped a couple times in or real close to the turns (stupid mistakes on my part) and would not have wanted the heat to be stopped, knowing I was OK. Hell, one time I just climbed back onto my boat (which was already flipped upside down) and watched the rest of the race from a great perspective! Accidents happen and if the race was stopped every time someone goes in the water, well, it would be a LONG day. Now, all of this takes into consideration that the driver has signaled he is OK........
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

If a red flag is displayed, reguardless of where it is, it should be honored. This means if the turn boat or judges stand calls it, it is still a stoppage of the heat. And that could be for any circu*mstance. Call made, call respected, discussion of call between that turn boat and stand, decision made, nonissue. Move on.
              DAVEY 18w

Comment

Disabled boat

The current rule works if the race committee reinforces that anyone on the course that sees someone is in danger can call for a red flag. I would add a simple line. "If a driver in the heat gains a compettitive advantage from a disabled boat or driver the heat must be stopped."

Keeping in mind the safety is first..

Comment

Judgement calls

I recall a BSR elimination heat at Vandercook lake around 1970 with 7 or 8 boats where not a single boat made it out of the first turn. When the spray cleared most of the drivers were in the water. All signaled ok, and a couple drivers were trying to restart their engines. The heat was not red flagged and one racer was able to restart his engine and finish the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                    Doug, I had the helmet restraints system installed on my new SRP helmet when I bought it a couple years ago. I found that in the "kneeler" classes, it was too much of a hinderance for me, using the system, as it greatly reduced my ability to turn my head quickly to each side, when looking for other drivers approaching me or me making a lane change. I did not have a problem with the setup when I ran my laydown hydro, as you really do not have the ability to turn completely around, like in a kneeler, so it was not a hinderance. I "think" the collar is a better solution in "kneelers" and the restraint system better suited for "laydown" type boats. But, there are several people using the restraint setups nicely in the "kneelers". But, I do not think it would be good to make them mandatory. Have you tried one?
                    Haven't tried, but am taking a strong look at it. Have flack in my jacket. Was hoping people would be willing to share their experinces with all three and views on whether they are helpful, unhelpful or make no difference.

Comment

I have been using the SRP helmet restraints in my 250-350 ccr, and have had no problem seeing around me.

Speaking of flack in the jackets, why is it mandatory only in the Pro category?

Joe

Haven't tried, but am taking a strong look at it. Have flack in my jacket. Was hoping people would be willing to share their experinces with all three and views on whether they are helpful, unhelpful or make no difference.

Comment

Using a collar

We had one driver that stoped in the middle of a heat ( was coming in second) because the the collar rotated and was depriving the driver from getting air.

I havn't tried one but am thinking about it.
                        I guess just make sure it fits and stays in place.

Gene
                        Gene Schertz 26V
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll
                        Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Impact Material - FLAK

I had impact material, FLAK, added to my SRP capsule jacket. I received a call from SRP wanting to know why I wanted FLAK in a capsule jacket. I told them that I wanted all the protection I could get, they ask again if I was sure, I stated that is what I wanted.

You just never know, more protection the better, for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                            Daren, my driver would disagree with you. He says he can turn his head fine, and is sure it stopped a sore neck at Cullaby. Are you sure you don't have the straps cinched too tight?

I think Stock should take the same approach that PRO did with helmet restraints - strongly recommend them, but not mandate them (yet). The same for the flak insert.
                            Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                            sigpic
                            Portland, Oregon
                            Johnson Racing

Comment

Chad Hill Says...

At Parker, last weekend, the patrol boats had that "FLASHING LIGHT" and Chad said he saw that MOTHER long before he saw in flags...If you noice, much emergency vehicles have BIG TIME flashing lights...

Require a side height on runabouts...

Allow a one inch tunnel in runabouts, to allow boats to run in rougher water...

Require telescopic pick forks on hydros...

Look at Sport C and Fat C cockpit reinforcement rules...Kneeldowners could have stronger sides on their cockpits with the throttle inside the reinforced cockpits...
                              Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-26-2006, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Maybe not such a good idea..

Originally posted by SunRiseRacing
                                Turn boat operators need to learn to get right up to the enterance of the turn and REALLY wave the red. If need be get right up to the downed/flipped boat and sheild the driver. If you're inexperienced, get in the front of the boat and do flags.
                                Let's not get carried away Kevin, the last thing we need is a bunch of cowboys out running turn judge boats on the course in the name of safety
                                Moby Grape Racing
                                "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

Working...
                                X