SO Hull, Safety and Racing Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO Hull, Safety and Racing Rules

Let's hear those suggestions in this thread. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

bannish the tuck rule in A

Comment

do not touch the tuck rule.... leave it where it is at. We raced A Hydro this year for the first time in years and there is nothing UN-safe with the current rule. Can't comment on years past, there is no need to change it again.
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

lol ok Don it just that the old hemp i got Loves a lot of tuck

Comment

Proposal #1 for 07 National Meeting

PROPOSAL TO THE MOD, STOCK, PRO AND Junior COMMISSIONS
          OR AS A GENERAL SAFETY RULE

FOR CONSIDERATION IN REGARDS TO COCKPITSIDE CONSTRUCTION

Proposal: To mandate that all new boat constructed after 12/31/09, must follow the UIM guideline rule 522.02 (pgs 180 – 182 in 06 UIM Rule Book) for the use of carbon fiber and Kevlar composites in cockpit sides.

Reason: To mandate the use of these proven safety products in the construction of new boats.

Explanation: These composite materials have increased the safety and protection of drivers in other parts of the world but have been meet with resistance here in APBA. This rule would bring our racing hulls up to the same safety requirements that the UIM has had for years. This is the next step to increase safety and much like Kevlar pants and sleeves were several years ago and must be taken in order to protect racings most precious resource, it’s drivers. It is a shame that only a few builders are currently using this technology.

Thank you for your consideration,
          Brian Williams
          APBA# 8135
          Brian10s@hotmail.com
          Last edited by Brian10s; 10-23-2006, 10:29 AM.
          Brian 10s

Comment

time to change

I'd like to see us start the process of moving the sport to 3 heats per race. We are in competition with so many other activities, including other categories of boat racing, one of the strikes against us is lack of boat time per race.

I realize that we have a LONG way to go before we can get our race days short enough to add heats, but this is something we should keep in the back of our minds. For the Nationals I would propose 3 heat elims and 3 heat finals. Should not cut boat time at the Nationals, should get more due to the travel and prestige of the event.

If we are unable to make this happen in SO, I think we should still pursue it for the J/AXS classes. These are training ground classes after all and what is needed most is boat time.

Bill III
            Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Bill,

I like the 3 heat format. I have run antiques at Depue where this format applies. It adds more strategy to the race from the drivers perpspective and it allows for more changes between heats on set ups.

Your correct in that the racing schedule would have to be changed. We would have to eliminate classes to do this and that's going to be tough. I can hear the complaining now.

Tim
              Tim Weber

Comment

Originally posted by Brian10s
                Proposal: To mandate that all new boat constructed after 12/31/09, must follow the UIM guideline rule 522.02 (pgs 180 – 182 in 06 UIM Rule Book) for the use of carbon fiber and Kevlar composites in cockpit sides.

Reason: To mandate the use of these proven safety products in the construction of new boats.

[/email]
                Can anyone post the research which tested the carbon fiber or kevlar compositis in cockpit sites? I would be interested in reading the test and test results.

I saw Burke's carbon side snapped in half at Raleigh. My new boat has kevlar. I like to know if it is actually tested and proven or urban myth.

Comment

test

I perform my own test and build my own carbon/kevlar/foam core panels. I can tell you that the same layup that I use in all of my hydros that I build is the same layup that I submitted for the APBA safety cell certification for the 2000 newton test that they perform. This 2000 newton number is for the boats that weight around the SST45 class. The higher test, which is the 3000 newton test is a different layup and is for heavier boats like SST60, SST120 and F1.

These panels are much stronger than just one layer of carbon or kevlar on plywood or thin foam core.

Comment

KEvlar vs Carbon

From my experience, which is no where near MJR's.

Carbon is very brittle, snaps easy. Very good tensile strength, very poor flexural strength. Adds good strength to stiffness of say bottom or cockpit sides. Needs additional materials to make up for the poor flexural strength. Laid at a 45 degree angle to the grain of the fiber results in very good properties for strength. Drawback - EXPENSIVE and not available for a couple more years until they get the new yarn factories built.

Kevlar is heavy. It does not cut easy, is harder to lay up. It has excellant impact resitence, and that is it's best use. Not very strong for adding stiffness to a panel such as a bottom or cockpit side unless laid up heavy.

Fiberglass - excellent stiffing properties, has great flexural properties, especially with the tri-axial weaves. Best use is to mix this into your layup with Carbon or Kevlar, or both.

This is what I have found in my years of playing around with the stuff in the boats I have built.
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

UIM Boat Nose/Point Rule

What about the rule that outlaws sharp pickle forks and sharp pointy runabouts?
                      14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Tips

I would recommend that we also use the UIM rule as a guideline to enforce the same thing for pickle tips or any sharp pointed tip on any racing boat.

Comment

Tuck rule should go

Aside from adding a massive amount of extra headache for inspectors, the fact that Ed Harrington crashed at nationals RUNNING ALL BY HIMSELF DOWN A STRAIGHTAWAY proves that the rules doesn't work. If a guy is determined to set up his boat in an unsafe way that causes him to crash, apparently you can't stop him. Let's give the inspectors a break, they have enough on their plates. Tony
                          Moby Grape Racing
                          "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

I shouldnt....but

I have a suggestion....how about getting rid of turn fins on runabouts? I am very sure I am in a minority position here but maybe I am just old fashioned in thinking that hydros have turn fins and runabouts dont. I have talked with a few other very good runabout drivers that share my feelings about this but because of the amount of drag fins out there they feel it is not likely to happen. I guess the more I think about this it really isnt a safety issue as much as it is getting back to the real "roots" of stock racing issue. I would be happy to listen too feedback from anyone on this. Thanks for allowing my suggestion...Nick.

Comment

This is a safety issue... they at least need to find a different way to mount them... they are an accident waiting to cut someone in two or paralise someone. They scare the crap out of me.

Originally posted by laddies
                              I have a suggestion....how about getting rid of turn fins on runabouts? I am very sure I am in a minority position here but maybe I am just old fashioned in thinking that hydros have turn fins and runabouts dont. I have talked with a few other very good runabout drivers that share my feelings about this but because of the amount of drag fins out there they feel it is not likely to happen. I guess the more I think about this it really isnt a safety issue as much as it is getting back to the real "roots" of stock racing issue. I would be happy to listen too feedback from anyone on this. Thanks for allowing my suggestion...Nick.
                              Fralick Racing
                              Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Working...
                              X