SO Promotional Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO Promotional Suggestions

Let's here some suggestions about how the SORC might consider spending the promotional fund. Last year we paid for the promotional video that is really directed to a general audience. We can, relatively inexpensively, produce one directed to race sponsors as well. Other suggestions recommended here. Let's hear them. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Promotion

Ed - I would like to see if we could put together a project simlar to the HARM project currently being done on the West Coast for new "J" drivers wanting to get into the sport. I have had some of my sons parents ask about getting their kids started in racing that have never done it or have any background in the sport. I think this would be a good way to get new blood in SO racing. let me know your thoughts. I am willing to help with this. Sincerly- Tom Low

For those living in a cave this is the link to the HARM project on the west coast. http://www.thunderboats.org/news/news_20060915.html
    Last edited by Tomtall; 10-19-2006, 06:57 PM.
    Tom L.

Comment

HARM Project Region 6 style

You know what? That is an absolutely spectacular idea. We just need to locate a place to build the boats and to secure some funding for the kits. You guys in Region 6 should be talking about this at the Region meeting rather than Region High Point versus Top Gun Awards. This is a project that can really make a difference. Tom: You're in charge! Let's put together a proposal to the Historical Society for a grant to buy the kits. Ed.
      14-H

Comment

Harm project

Dan - I agree. This is one thought that comes to mind on a project of this magnitude. First I think that clubs across the U.S. should submit an interest in doing a Harm project with the S.O. commission. Those clubs that respond would be put into a lottery drawing that would take place each year at the National meeting. The winning club would work with individules heading the program and secure locations in their area to carry out the project. We could also take bids from boat builders to get the best possible pricing on kits to build. The selection process for children interested in doing it could be selected in a similar maner of that their doing in Washington. We may be able to secure grants thru local buisness and community orginzations to help defer costs. Just some ideas.
        Last edited by Tomtall; 10-19-2006, 07:31 PM.
        Tom L.

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H
          Let's here some suggestions about how the SORC might consider spending the promotional fund. Last year we paid for the promotional video that is really directed to a general audience. We can, relatively inexpensively, produce one directed to race sponsors as well. Other suggestions recommended here. Let's hear them. Ed.
          I'm going to need some real serious time to post a reply on this topic so please stand bye more to come once I get my thoughts together. I would also encourage everyone else to really think about your reply first before just shooting from the hip.
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtall
            Dan - I agree. This is one thought that comes to mind on a project of this magnitude. First I think that clubs across the U.S. should submit an interest in doing a Harm project with the S.O. commission. Those clubs that respond would be put into a lottery drawing that would take place each year at the National meeting. The winning club would work with individules heading the program and secure locations in their area to carry out the project. We could also take bids from boat builders to get the best possible pricing on kits to build. The selection process for children interested in doing it could be selected in a similar maner of that their doing in Washington. We may be able to secure grants thru local buisness and community orginzations to help defer costs. Just some ideas.

Sorry Tom I was not replying to the Harm project its a great idea
            HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

OOps

Got ya.
              Tom L.

Comment

Ed, et al,
                I haven't had time to think this through completely but ......
                With the help of some racers, builders, suppliers and others I'd like to pursue the idea of "J race camp". I think we could get enough young drivers and support personnel to have a couple of 1-week race camps at various locations around the country. My extended family has 3 side-by-side cottages and 400 feet of shoreline on Lake Cayuga near Ithaca NY that might be a great location for hosting an east coast/midwest camp. All combined I think we have accomodations for about 20 people. With the help of racers, boat owners, suppliers and some interested racers I think we could offer a one week training program/summer camp to teach young racers about our sport. There are dozens of specialized, theme summer camps around the country. Why not "APBA J Race Camp" ? I'll donate our cottages and beach if others will help. Mike Marshall, Raceboat61-S

Comment

Mike: Great idea. Would this be something that could be scheduled in the spring? Ed.
                  14-H

Comment

A primary limitation in the Spring is "J" driver availability. It would not work as a Spring break event. It is generally too cold up there until mid-May. I was thinking of a more traditional Summer camp idea. The lake never freezes so water temperatures are still in the 50's until almost the 1st of June. I'm open to ideas, though.

Comment

Originally posted by raceboat61-S
                      Ed, et al,
                      I haven't had time to think this through completely but ......
                      With the help of some racers, builders, suppliers and others I'd like to pursue the idea of "J race camp". I think we could get enough young drivers and support personnel to have a couple of 1-week race camps at various locations around the country. My extended family has 3 side-by-side cottages and 400 feet of shoreline on Lake Cayuga near Ithaca NY that might be a great location for hosting an east coast/midwest camp. All combined I think we have accomodations for about 20 people. With the help of racers, boat owners, suppliers and some interested racers I think we could offer a one week training program/summer camp to teach young racers about our sport. There are dozens of specialized, theme summer camps around the country. Why not "APBA J Race Camp" ? I'll donate our cottages and beach if others will help. Mike Marshall, Raceboat61-S
                      That is an awsome idea and would be cool. As a kid, I spent at week a wrestling camp. They brought in Olympic Gold Medalist Randy Lewis to teach. Would have jumped at boatracing camp big time. You could bring in guys like Allen, Giles, Wartinger, etc.
                      Last edited by DougMc; 10-20-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Cool BUT...

Promotions first means you find Interested party's . Last time I looked we were far from turning people away at the door. My kids are already involved.
                        Now maybe sell this idea to your local youth groups, or at hockey camp, 4-H Rotary, Kiwanis ...... WE MUST FOCUS ON PROMOTING TO NEW MARKETS. ours is worn thin and we can only breed so many.
                        Steve

Comment

yep. Steve you hit the nail dead square....

Comment

steve you are absolutely wright. we must first line the beaches before we can fill the pits .
                            Jeff Griffin
                            44V DMH

Comment

The thrust of my post and the purpose of "APBA J race camp" as I envisioned it was to make the big transition from spectator-to-racer safer, more affordable, and provide an entry point that doesn't require the aspiring racer the obligation to find equipment, training, and opportunity.
                              We all know the problems getting interested spectators to come to a race. That problem hcontinues to be addressed on this thread and many other over the past few months. Steve, I think you are wrong about "turning people away from the sport". Our sport HAS created some barriers to those who are interested. It's too easy for those of us who have been around the sport for many years to take our knowledge and experience for granted. We all have many resources for training, equipment, and opportunity. It is intimidating to the "new guy" to get these things. If your child wants to start 4-wheeling, BMX, motocross, wake-boarding, jet-skiing, etc he can find other kids and dads within 5 miles of his house and a dealer within 10 miles that will sell him the equipment. Can't be done with outboard racing. Dad's don't want to spend $3000-$7000 just to see if the kid likes boat racing. I guarantee the kid's mom will resist any sport that has the race word associatied with it unless she grew up in a race family.
                              "APBA J race camp" is just an IDEA envisioned to offer a partial solution for some of these barriers. Please keep the thread going. There are hundreds of good ideas and hundreds of potential educators, builders, racers, enthusiasts out there that might want to help. I'm just offering one piece of the pie........I can't solve the WHOLE problem. Tell me you'll help ! Mike Marshall, Raceboat61-S

Comment

Working...
                              X