No announcement yet.

321 Yamato in 302SSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I as well as a few others agree with Don. The 321 should be the only motor in the class but as said we don't know how many or when they will all arrive....
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Dean, and others. this is peaking on my own thoughts and not that of the 302 Advisory committee.

I agree that this should be only be a one motor class. Let's make that a very strong point up front.

However, you may not be aware that we did spend quite a bit of testing over the course of last year. In fact my boat was run half the time with a 321 motor and a 302 motor. GPS data that I have collected shows them to be very similar, so that is why I agreed to go with the recommendations for a temporary allowance of both motors. the idea is to phase out the 302 from the class but we can't leave the new guys out. For those entering the sport, this will bring down the price of existing sealed 302 motors, and the recommendation was that there will be no more sealing of 302's moving forward, just 321. Of course if you have a sealed 302 (as I do) you can get it tuned and resealed. I might not this year, and run it in other classes.

To show you I'm not talking hypothetical, take a look for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_I9SHm7UU

and I (302) and Elek (321) in race conditions (one day with 302 and one day with 321, same weight and setup) Fall Grass Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dh0UtfERrY

Last edited by DtwSailor; 12-09-2015, 03:06 PM.
      When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

I have a dog in the fight - a 302 used in 3 races this past season / what happens if the 321 is slower than the 302 ???

Comment

Who sells the 2 bld. props used in this class?
          Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

Chris,
            I believe Vic Brinkman makes the prop that you get when purchasing an engine.
            444-B now 4-F
            Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Fastjack View Post
              I have a dog in the fight - a 302 used in 3 races this past season / what happens if the 321 is slower than the 302 ???
              Based on the so-far published specs/data, the comparative videos, and tests, it looks as though the two are very, very closely matched (they are both rated at the same HP, the only real difference being the RPM/torque curves). I have to wonder if other factors with the boat will make more of a difference. Weight, shape/design, engine tuning, etc.

I don't recall seeing any tests posted where a 302 and a 321 were both put on the same boat with the same drive and tests done to compare average speeds/lap times. That might be interesting to see and it would need to be several series of laps with each to get a decent average sample.
              Dane Lance
              700-P
              CSH/500Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 75F View Post
                Who sells the 2 bld. props used in this class?
                The propellers are sold as part of the sealed engine package and not sold separately.
                http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ram4x4 View Post

Based on the so-far published specs/data, the comparative videos, and tests, it looks as though the two are very, very closely matched (they are both rated at the same HP, the only real difference being the RPM/torque curves). I have to wonder if other factors with the boat will make more of a difference. Weight, shape/design, engine tuning, etc.

I don't recall seeing any tests posted where a 302 and a 321 were both put on the same boat with the same drive and tests done to compare average speeds/lap times. That might be interesting to see and it would need to be several series of laps with each to get a decent average sample.

Here is what you are asking for. Same driver, course, day, boat, fuel and prop. The 300SSH Committee and the SORC has analyzed this at length for several months now in preparation for their decision. (along with many other items of data and opinion)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_I...ature=youtu.be
                  (special thanks to the Lisius family, Elek Hutchinson and Mike Deck)

Comment

• seanp3
                    seanp3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting video seeing a side by side comparison. Just eyeballing both it almost appears the 321 out accelerates the 302. This could be due to a slight variation of positioning on the course - I don't know how you can match up each video identically. Top end seems to be identical which would suggest they perform at top end nearly the same using the same prop & setup. It will be interesting to find out if the 321 can possibly handle a bit more prop than the 302 for possibly more top end.

Originally posted by Jeff Brewster 59s View Post

Here is what you are asking for. Same driver, course, day, boat, fuel and prop. The 300SSH Committee and the SORC has analyzed this at length for several months now in preparation for their decision. (along with many other items of data and opinion)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_I...ature=youtu.be
                  (special thanks to the Lisius family, Elek Hutchinson and Mike Deck)
                  Thanks Jeff, I did go back and see this one from previously.

Very close overall. With the 302 not being made anymore and with them that close in performance, I think the decision was a good one. If resealing 302's is being stopped, it's only a matter of time before they fall out of the class due to attrition. The only question is, how long will a semi fresh sealed 302 last? One season, two, three?

Are there any thoughts on setting an absolute expiration date for running sealed 302's in the class?
                  Dane Lance
                  700-P
                  CSH/500Mod

Comment

My wife and I have run our motor a lot in two straight seasons and it has not lost speed or compression. I will not refresh it this winter. Heck, I still haven't checked the timing or touched the carb!
                    It has been discussed at length when the 302 should leave the class. The committee and SORC made a good choice to let a year go by before making any decisions ( and avoid a rash decision they would regret in the future)

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
                      Matt Dagostino commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would have to comment here and say that in my opinion the wife drives it much better than you Mr Chairman.....with all due respect..)
                  Working...
                  X