Stock Outboard Questionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting on a show

yea, allot of three boat races at local races. Im not againts three boat races unless we string it out and the boats are not even close to the same speed. We fail in showmanship and it is boring. No wonder we have to sponsor our own races. This goes back to the rules, which no one is ready to change. In our rules, you must race for time,,go out and run the fastest time, so that in the second heat you have a cushion, if you run second. This forces guys to drive out as far front as possible. Boring... A two boat race for the front is exciteing to our audience so it is our rules that keep us from putting on a show. The consequence of just giveing points is that you have a tie...Not a big deal in the long season that have allot of tie breakers...You want to go to the next level, you must put on show, not a parade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard Hearn View Post
      First issue: Grant (13 yrs old) was 130# last year (he's smaller than his other 13 yr old friends), has an all carbon boat (read: light) and uses 5# to make weight in the AXH. If you lower the weight on the Merc for the A class you will only make the Merc in the A class available to 13 yr olds (btw, they can't race A until they are 14).

Second issue: There is a larger field in AX than A usually. What benefit is there for him to race A (same rig, less competitors) if he is just racing the same AX rig? We'll just stay in the Junior category. If you don't make a step between AX and A you won't have people jumping up to the A class. Let the A class get a little faster than the AX class (I agree the AXH times are the same as the ASH times).
      I have been following this thread from the beginning. The more I read the more confusing it is. What is the difference between A, AX, 20ss, 25ss, 25 xs, and a few more. It really need to be simplified. I have been involved over 40 years and understood stock racing until the last several years. Imagine a new driver trying to get involved and trying to understand stock racing. Now tell him he need to run special gas to be legal, white on black or black on white numbers, round off pickell forks with in 1/4 in. Please all get together and simplify rules. Sounds like our government, two years fighting and nothing accomplished. I thought this topic was discussed several years ago with some really good ideas. What happened? Just my opinion....Bob

Comment

• http://www.gorotax.com/

https://www.facebook.com/GoRotax

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6024187&type=1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nXgyLTkfU6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="660" height="340"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/10151532549998696"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/10151532549998696" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="660" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="660" height="340"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/10151531647663696"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/10151531647663696" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="660" height="340"></embed></object>
        Last edited by HRTV; 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM.
        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

• no need to eliminate..

there is no need to eliminate motors, classes, etc...............natural attrition will take care of that. What really needs to be done is STOP changing the rules, etc every couple years, so that a person can set a plan and not have to worry about what is changing, being eliminated the next year, etc. Pretty hard for a racer to maintain a certain set of goals if things are constantly changing.......things just need to be more simpler (if possible)........

and concerning motors for new racers, just tell them that the motor preferred (and of choice) is motor X, if that racer wants to start racing at a minimal cost, tell him motor Y is a good alternative and let he/she decide........ case in point a Yamato 302 at $2300 new or a Yamato 102 for less than $1500.......same as the other classes (A, B, D), all have new motors available and used ones at a fraction of the cost.....
          Last edited by mercguy; 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM.
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Good point

I agree 100% with Darren....natural attrition will take care of older motors....how many 102's are still around and racing? Not many...we need to have inexpensive stuff around for racers, like I was in college, that have little money to get started with. Just my 2 cents worth. Dave

Comment

• Could not agree more. You broke the code Daren. I also agree that the crux of the problem is the constant change of classes and or engines or the threat of it that slow down entrance into the sport and sends too many folks packing. Jack

Comment

• Im not charging enough to do Merc motors...lol
                Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

• I stated this when plan B came up before you cant run the current BSH and BSR classes with the 20ss boats they just are not compatible. They may be close in speed but you will never make it thru the turns with the holes the 20 boats make.
                  Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

• Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                    there is no need to eliminate motors, classes, etc...............natural attrition will take care of that. What really needs to be done is STOP changing the rules, etc every couple years, so that a person can set a plan and not have to worry about what is changing, being eliminated the next year, etc. Pretty hard for a racer to maintain a certain set of goals if things are constantly changing.......things just need to be more simpler (if possible)........

and concerning motors for new racers, just tell them that the motor preferred (and of choice) is motor X, if that racer wants to start racing at a minimal cost, tell him motor Y is a good alternative and let he/she decide........ case in point a Yamato 302 at $2300 new or a Yamato 102 for less than $1500.......same as the other classes (A, B, D), all have new motors available and used ones at a fraction of the cost.....
                    Well said !

Comment

• MIckey Schwarzenbach's Ideas

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...151#post127151

I haven't posted here on this topic, but I agree with the concept of not getting rid of any motor.

Mickey has a great idea, here it is:

WHAT MICKEY SAID TODAY WAS REALLY PROFOUND: Mickey said, "We have 6 OMC "A" motors in the shop here and one Mercury. There should be 2 classes: 15 SS for the Sidewinder and one for the OMC." (That is the profound part becasue that is what I said.) Then he said, "They should allow 'Step Ups', that way if there a two Sidewinders, the club could get extra entry fees by people stepping up. Let Mercs and OMC's 'Step Up' (and get points) but build th class. I might buy a Sidewinder, if they had a class."

Mickey added, "Why should the 302 be kicked out of 20 SS Hydro in 2015.......??? Allow the Yamato to 'Step Up" with the Sidewinder, if there are any in 2015."

Step ups would help a club to make money and allow a class to grow. So, you could race a Merc in AXS, A Hydro, 200 CC MOD and 15 Hydro.

Comment

• And what if there is no one that steps up.

Comment

• Why is this so hard?

Originally posted by 14J View Post
                          You are spot on and know that some agree.
                          My sons and me started racing two years ago. I raced DSR and 25SXR years ago and my most of my family raced. Why did I come back. I really missed the people, the good times and the racing and I knew it was a good place to raise my kids. I came back because or should I say was able to come back because I could justify the cost. ONE Merc 15 - J, AX, A. ONE Yamato 302, too many classes to list. When I bought the Merc I was told this would be the new A motor. We want new members, dads with kids. We need to keep this sport affordable. Bring in the Sidewinder, keep the OMC and the Merc. And make them equal. Less equipment and more bang for the buck.

Comment

• If no one steps up

Originally posted by G Stillwill View Post
                            And what if there is no one that steps up.
                            Well, if Region 12 has no Sidewinders and Region 11 has two, and there are no Step Ups they are SCREWED. If the Sidewinders show up and everyone races MOD 200 CC the Sidewinders are screwed too.

If the Sidewinders keep breaking cranks, no starting and crapping out, maybe a "Step Up" would end up High Point.....Kind like when we let the SE tunnels race in F Hydro, the tunnel was high point, so they ruled out tunnels.

If you don't have step ups, the Sidewinder will win.

Comment

• Ron you miss the point at some point a new available motor has got to replace the old motor in a class not by taking the old motor out but by letting it die on its own. How can you sell a new guy on a class when all he can buy is someone elses junk, race for a couple years and says piss on it and walks away. The new motors run very close in speed and dont have to be sent any where to make race ready its all been done. As far as the crank breaking in the motor out there it was the very first A motor sold and had the old style crank in it and that part has been up dated. Both of mine start right away and run just fine and I have gotten beaten many time this past year by the good OMC's

Comment

• Plan B

Well said George.To eliminate any motor is shear madness.I run CSH with a 102,(I HAVE SEVERAL) if I run last every race with 11 other 302's , that would be my choice.Many drivers come to the race for fellowship, or what have you , not nessesarily to run out front, but to have a motor eliminated such as the 102, just for the sake of "what" is insane.I have run stock on and off since 1963, and if the 102 is eliminated, I will do like George eliminate myself from stock outboard racing for good.SIMPLIFY THE PROGRAM AND PUT ON A SHOW AND SPONSORS WILL COME!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X