If I Were King I'd....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haüenstein View Post
    If I was King I would change the races to the famous Le Mans start, run five "classes" per day (J, 2-cyl. Hydro, 2-cyl. Runabout, 4-cyl. Hydro, 4-cyl. Runabout), and increase heat length to 15 laps. Boat design would gradually change and we would end up with boats that can run in all sorts of water, opening up more great race sites.

I would not put in a right-hand turn, though.

And for marketability, I'd require everyone to use a fresh new pillowcase! : )

Sounds like OPC...How they doing????

Pat

Comment

If I was King I would change the races to the famous Le Mans start, run five "classes" per day (J, 2-cyl. Hydro, 2-cyl. Runabout, 4-cyl. Hydro, 4-cyl. Runabout), and increase heat length to 15 laps. Boat design would gradually change and we would end up with boats that can run in all sorts of water, opening up more great race sites.

I would not put in a right-hand turn, though.

And for marketability, I'd require everyone to use a fresh new pillowcase! : )
      Best idea I've heard in a long time!

Comment

I would love to see some of these folks run down to there boats, jump in and take off. Very funny!!
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

By the way Mike Barrett has been trying really hard to get back on the site. I am sure he wants to run for president!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

)
            That sounds like a good way for a new motor to get a class Like the 20 SW. Leave yamato as 20SSH and make the sidewinder the only motor an endurance class with a modified lemans start.

Comment

Originally posted by raceright View Post
              Sounds like OPC...How they doing???? Pat
              Pat, I don't think LeMans starts are the cause of OPC's declining membership. If you don't like an idea, just say so.

I like Mike's idea and agree it would eventually lead to more seaworthy boats over the current kilo type boats.

"I found the perfect Menorah Christmas tree ornament"
              Last edited by sam; 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

If I were king of APBA....

...I'd make Waaaaaap the mandatory slogan/theme

Just kidding, of course.

But I liked the Mike Barrett idea.
                28-R

Comment

I like the combination of Dan's followed by Mike's. Perfect!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Marathon??

Nice to see posts with love for the marathon. Many of us are thankful that Michigan Hydroplane Racing Association has included marathon racing at their events. A post mentioned boats that can run on days we'd normally blow out. We bring those boats to all MHRA events, and pray, or at least I do, for some 'special' water for the marathon. SSOA has included a really cool and well run marathon to add to their schedule at Haverhill, and some of the regulars are starting to get into it and do the work, it's a good thing.
                    Bang for the buck? How does twenty minutes of endurance racing with your buddies sound? Even with a questionable start, there is time to get it together and get in a race with someone. I've had some great races within the race. Sorry boy's, the roll-ups still have the upper hand here. It can get rough out there, and at Grass Lake there is a sharp righty that commands attention. Some races feature a Lemans start, and some are clock, but ether way you can be assured of a good challenge.
                    I know three laps rules, and I understand why. It's the ball's and I love watching the most competitive classes run, mostly hydro's (20SSH, CSH,) were I race. I have never driven a hydro, but I've built a few that I'm told run well. I'm afraid to try one, actually, heard I won't want my runabout back, HAH!
                    I suppose what I'm wondering is: could marathon racing play a part in bringing in new members? I'm quite the Top'O head, so of course I have my own agenda, but I will continue to support any race that attempts to include the marathon format in the scedule. Does anyone else feel that way?
                    Also, Nice post Krazy Karl!

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                      Pat, I don't think LeMans starts are the cause of OPC's declining membership. If you don't like an idea, just say so.

I like Mike's idea and agree it would eventually lead to more seaworthy boats over the current kilo type boats.

"I found the perfect Menorah Christmas tree ornament"

Most Pro drivers know how much I despise Le Mans starts so that is a given.
                      But 15 laps--not Pro stuff. Membership problems are deeper than type of starts we have.
                      I do agree with limited classes based around engine size but no singled out MFG. let the best MFG win. A competition between MFG. I believe is desperatily needed in every Stock outboard class--we have it in Pro...Just take the worlds in FLA. 1100 hydro Rossi first konny second rossi third and the vrp that most though would run away with it did not reach the podium.

But I do not agree with long heats, this I believe bores spectators and hurts highly tuned engines.
                      Yes rivers run through large cities and more seaworthy boats are needed there and cities are where the money is---so as much as I hate a change like that in boat design it is a better idea for racing, but does it hurt membership????

Pat

Comment

Any good ideas?

Soooo Pat,
                        What do you like???

- Mike

Comment

It is suprising to me how many suggestions here address symptoms of the problem (if there is one) and not the underlying reasons for the mess the sport is in (if it is in a mess). Also, I cant believe there are people that actually think everything is OK in the sport.

Start growing the sport and most of the rest of these problems fix themselves.

This is an all volunteer do-it-yourself sport. If your waiting for HQ to do something your going to be waiting a very long time. There is tremendous flexibility in the rules at the local level to put on an event practically any way you want.

You want le mans starts....DO IT NOW!
                          You want more heats or laps....DO IT NOW!
                          You want promotion....DO IT YOURSELF!
                          You want a rulebook....PRINT IT YOURSELF!
                          Free entry fees for new drivers....DO IT NOW!
                          You want a Dash for Cash...DO IT NOW!

What do all these suggestions have in common? They all serve the current racers and would have little to no effect on growth.

APBA has been bleeding members one at a time for 35 years. Until the bleeding is stopped nothing else we do really matters. We have gone from a peak membership in 1974 of just under 5ooo members to about 480 in 2010 with further declines in membership projected in 2011.

Most of the country cannot put on a financially sustainable race. The southeast, northeast, and west coasts have "anchor" races that have significant numbers of out of region racers that finance the rest of their races that run in the red.

But still people are in denial that there is a problem.

BW

"If your not growing, your dying"
                          302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by pav225 View Post
                            Soooo Pat,
                            What do you like???

- Mike
                            What do I like???

All types of Power Boat racing.

Always loved the 55h but never raced one. Loved the idea of the Bass Tohatsu was going to get one when they first came out--kinda thought this would be a boon for stock outboard,but they ran into a brick wall so I scraped that one.
                            Loved and raced the cresent on a marchetti hydro.
                            Well thats not what you asked me but it might help you understand my following point.
                            All stock outboard classes should be open to any MFG meeting specified engine sizes (old a,b,c,d,f) run on gasoline as purchased at the pump.

Need more races on rivers in larger metropolitian areas.

Believe it or not I like stock outboard as it is the life blood of all boat racing,and has a responsibility to all power boatracing and refuses to help as it only can. I believe it is being messed up by the past commissions more than the chairman. Wait every year for a new commission to set policy to improve all of boatracing but it never happens.
                            This is why you might think I have a axe to grind with stock outboard but in 1982 I sat in on a commission meeting with Harry Pinner
                            and listened to the garbage and guess what `28 years later it is the same garbage.

All categories share some of this responsibility Pro,Mod,Inboard,offshore,OPC
                            all of them. But stockoutboard is where it use to be anyone could start and it was easy to do, now as pointed out in another post you have to know someone and hope you are a machinest.
                            Commission sets policy Chairman can advise but is not the king as some think.

I have a passion for Alky (pro) engines and boats mainly the larger classes.
                            I much prefer less rules and more freedom in what you do.
                            Much prefer racing around 100 mph and if speeds increase I believe this is what racing is about.
                            All these things you hear me say are pretty much what many pro drivers believe but because when it is said on this site to many get up set .

The pro's are out numbered and are tired of singing to a chior that does not listen. IF you ever want to talk in person YOU WILL THEN FIND OUT HOW I REALY FEEL.

PAT

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
                              It is suprising to me how many suggestions here address symptoms of the problem (if there is one) and not the underlying reasons for the mess the sport is in (if it is in a mess). Also, I cant believe there are people that actually think everything is OK in the sport.

Start growing the sport and most of the rest of these problems fix themselves.

This is an all volunteer do-it-yourself sport. If your waiting for HQ to do something your going to be waiting a very long time. There is tremendous flexibility in the rules at the local level to put on an event practically any way you want.

You want le mans starts....DO IT NOW!
                              You want more heats or laps....DO IT NOW!
                              You want promotion....DO IT YOURSELF!
                              You want a rulebook....PRINT IT YOURSELF!
                              Free entry fees for new drivers....DO IT NOW!
                              You want a Dash for Cash...DO IT NOW!

What do all these suggestions have in common? They all serve the current racers and would have little to no effect on growth.

APBA has been bleeding members one at a time for 35 years. Until the bleeding is stopped nothing else we do really matters. We have gone from a peak membership in 1974 of just under 5ooo members to about 480 in 2010 with further declines in membership projected in 2011.

Most of the country cannot put on a financially sustainable race. The southeast, northeast, and west coasts have "anchor" races that have significant numbers of out of region racers that finance the rest of their races that run in the red.

But still people are in denial that there is a problem.

BW

"If your not growing, your dying"
                              Billie
                              I agree with most of what you say here.
                              But as stockoutboard is harder and harder to enter there numbers will decline.

Much as Pro's numbers have decreased ,but I believe pro's numbers have reached a level that will be sustained for many years to come.
                              Great many races are financed by the financialy luckier team owners and this will continue as long as need be.
                              We have reached a point in Pro where most new drivers are grand childern and children,friends of fellow racers,uncles and aunts and so on.

So because of the type of entry required to race at the Pro level it is more difficult to get involved unless someone you know already is.
                              This going to be stocks future unless something is done. All boatracing's numbers will decrease to a know someone to do it level if we stay on the same course we have been on since ya can't buy a Merc off the shelf.

Comment

I just don't think it's going to change...Not in our lifetimes.

I think it will continue to decline untill it's just too difficult to produce races.

Some regions will last longer than others.

I don't think the problem is about rules, or classes, or motors, or costs, or anything that anyone can do anything about.

I don't think the problem is marketing or promotion....Sure, with good promotion a few new drivers can be added every year, but not in sufficient numbers.

And I doubt if the problem is about Ed Hearn, even though I don't know him. (This is intended to be funny)

I think that the problem is a changing zietgeist.

Americans have changed, and will continue to do so. The spirit of individualism, competitiveness, and personal achievement are not what they used to be.

The spirit that makes a man want to go through what it takes to build a boat, get his tools out, and make things happen, and then go out and compete, man to man (women accepted here) to put himself out there, to be willing to accept the outcome, and try again and again to measure himself and his accomplishment against others who are more like him than not...

Sure there will always be those few who will have it, but not in sufficient enough quantity to make a difference.

As a culture, we don't view individual achievement, competition, self reliance, as we once did.

There is a certain kind of animalness (if there is such a word), that is required to make a guy crave doing this kind of thing. It's no different than two stud horses in the wild testing each other, and doing battle to determine who should win the band of mares.

It is being bred out of us, public schools, not enough men teaching young men, a politically correct state of mind that believes everyone is a winner, nobody loses, or fails...

The individual is no longer held in high esteem, and so as a result, those activities that require a high degree of individualism, will go away.

Untill, the crap hits the fan one day, and then only the survivors will survive, then the zietgeist will change yet again.

Comment

Working...
                                X