What's Great About Stock Outboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love boats and boat racing . . .

What is great about our sport is even though we are in competition with each other, we help each other out. Example: One year at Camden my 15ssH was smokin' fast and I was winning every heat. 2nd day I loaned Brad Walker my son's best wheel and the dirty rat beat me with my wheel! I laughed - good fun.

Okay, that's my cheer for Ed. But I cheer for Brad as well. Our sport does need fixing. I don't have the answers, but a few suggestions: When I got into SO membership was dismal. In the next few years Region 4 more than doubled it's racer numbers when other regions were suffering a decline. What was different?

A. We put out a newsletter which sent to CVRA members and out of region racers known to attend our events. I seem to recall spending $40-$50 a month on stamps but it was worth it. Of course clubs could now use the internet to post newsletters, but I am a Luddite and prefer to sit in my comfy chair with a cuppa coffee and read actual paper with words on it.

B. Test rides! Yes, K&K would have pitched a hissy-fit if the knew about all our shenanigans, but we had fun! After the day of racing we would set up a few boats, ASH, 20ssH, CSH, and even a 500ccH PRO boat one time. Deal was if you wanted to try it out get in line. We'd fit them out with borrowed gear, give them quick instructions, fire it up and turn `em loose!

I believe those two things resulted in fielding lot of new race drivers and keeping them involved.

Oh yeah, now and again we would cut a little slack. Example: One time three guys showed up at Camden with CSH rigs. River racers. Our inspector (bless his dear departed soul) was convinced their engines had been worked over and was itching to do a tear down. Sez me - they've never raced with a full field, so let `em race. They raced. Did fairly well and had so much fun they became regulars. Steve Dunn was one of three and he is very active in our sport today, organizing races in Tabor City, NC and elsewhere.

My 2 cents. You go, Brad!
    carpetbagger

Comment

If Reed is giving up on change in Stock Outboard then why am I beating my head against the wall?

Bill, I got the numbers off that prop then called Dewald first thing Mon morning and placed an order. It was my best wheel in ASR, ASH, 15SSH and 15SSR for the next 5-6 years.

Thank you

I sure miss racing at Camden, NC.....

BW
      Last edited by B Walker; 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM.
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

What is Stock Racing

Stock needs to return to it's roots, off the shelf engines, at least for a couple of classes. Try racing off the shelf 20HP 4-cycle engines, fishing lower unit and all. Pick somthing where several manufacturers are available. I bet the membership would grow. I might even buy one for my 12-year old. Cooperation with manufacturers needs to improve 250%. Maybe the large manufacturers would get interested again. It is not that hard, just do it.

I started racing wildcat with a 16HP scot atwater, then a mark 15, and a KG7. Then I moved to APBA racing a KG4.
        Neil

Comment

Originally posted by nbass View Post
          Stock needs to return to it's roots, off the shelf engines, at least for a couple of classes. Try racing off the shelf 20HP 4-cycle engines, fishing lower unit and all. Pick somthing where several manufacturers are available. I bet the membership would grow. I might even buy one for my 12-year old. Cooperation with manufacturers needs to improve 250%. Maybe the large manufacturers would get interested again. It is not that hard, just do it.

I started racing wildcat with a 16HP scot atwater, then a mark 15, and a KG7. Then I moved to APBA racing a KG4.
          Neil
          This is a quote of a reply to one of my posts with a similar idea.

"Cost effective stock motor racing to attract new racers like most every other motorsport and boat racing country in the world has????

You'll likely get banned for mentioning such a thing... "

Comment

I thought the title of this thread was what you like about Stock racing. There is another thread or two going with all the negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please use it.
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
              I thought the title of this thread was what you like about Stock racing. There is another thread or two going with all the negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please use it.
              My son Silas has been racing for 3 years and I raced a little last year and more this year. The best part of racing is the people and I can't stress that enough. The first person we met at a race was Billy Allen. He helped set up Silas's CSH and gave him instructions on how to drive. I also want to thank Mike Cook for letting him try his CSR then letting him use a 302 until he can get his own. [anyone want a 25xs at a good price? It kept up with the best of them at Kingston with a rocky behind the wheel]
              Chris

Comment

Sorry

I think boat racing is great, but we need to make it available to others. I did not mean to detract from the message. I will make no further comments.
                Neil

Comment

Neil
                  DITTO DITTO if we are wrong we are wrong but with out trying ya will never know

Oh and just for the record outboard racing is great,but a future depends on leadership and growth. Am I wrong about that???
                  Last edited by raceright; 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
                    If Reed is giving up on change in Stock Outboard then why am I beating my head against the wall?

Bill, I got the numbers off that prop then called Dewald first thing Mon morning and placed an order. It was my best wheel in ASR, ASH, 15SSH and 15SSR for the next 5-6 years.

Thank you

I sure miss racing at Camden, NC.....

BW
                    Yep. Since Jeff wasn't racing I passed the wheel to Billy Z who used it on A & 15 hydro and runabouts as well. Dang good wheel for sure.
                    carpetbagger

Comment

Where would I spend my money?

If it were not for stock outboard i don't know what cool stuff i'd have? a morgage? overated! a newer car? overated! how about a girlfriend that will stick with you through one season of racing?! LOL

Point is I choose to spend my time and money is a sport that is unique, fun, family oriented, competitive, and also has great networking. If boat racing was not in my life i would not have the friends (even best friend) that i have today. I've been around SO for 15 years, growing up from J stock to D stock. And still can't get enough!

For the newer folks. It's just like any other sport...you put time and effort and wins, etc will come. I like to use basketball as an example, sure LeBron James is a gifted athlete, but how many hours upon hours did he perfect that jumper before he was even thought of as a great basketball player? He made himself an NBA player. J Michael Kelly, JW Myers, Chip Hanaur, etc. These guys have put years into boat racing before they got paid to do it. Where did they start? Stock Outboard. It's a great starting point for those inspired to become paid drivers. And also a great place for folks who just want to come out to the races, go fast for a few laps, then drink a few spirited beverages with fun people after.

It's an atmosphere we offer, an arena for folks to hone racing skills in a safe, competitive enviornment. Sure theres some things we could change to make it better, and maybe class consolidation is one, maybe it's another idea. The great part about the sport is you can have an input. Whether you think you do or not.

Tha's what I love about Stock outboard racing.
                      Kyle Bahl
                      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Neil
                        QUOTE=blueskyracer;169022]I thought the title of this thread was what you like about Stock racing. There is another thread or two going with all the negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please use it.[/QUOTE]

I think boat racing is great, but we need to make it available to others. I did not mean to detract from the message. I will make no further comments.
                        Neil
                        HEY!!!! NEIL/nbass.... I get it/what ya ment!!!!..............And it IS constructive!!!!!........

Ron Hill 19/C Prop builder has been hammer'n the same philosophy all along!!!!

Here's a..... "What's Great About Stock Outboarding" .............STOCK outboarding /OPC class very close to what you refer... https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8433
                        Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 10-31-2010, 05:07 AM.
                        100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH View Post
                          QUOTE=blueskyracer;169022]I thought the title of this thread was what you like about Stock racing. There is another thread or two going with all the negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please use it.

HEY!!!! nbass.... I get it/what ya ment!!!!..............And it IS constructive!!!!!........

Here's a..... "What's Great About Stock Outboarding" .............STOCK outboarding /OPC class very close to what you refer... https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8433[/QUOTE]

The time to race off the shelf engines is now. Believe me the outboard MFG. need the business,and there are quite a few around.
                          Ya might get them to compete with each other if ya start using there engines. Do not be foolish and make a class for a motor open it up to several MFG's. Won't happen over night--needs planning and time.

Comment

Yamatos

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                            Well, from years of racing along side the SO category, I would say that Yamato SO racing motors make SO great. C stock hydro is the most exciting outboard class in racing (I have said this before, so I am not trying to work any agenda). Pound for pound, the 102's and 302's are simply great racing engines (as is the 80).
                            I couldn't agree more!!! We been able to get many new people started in our Region because of high quality, low price Yamatos!

- Mike

Comment

I say focus more on the good!

There are so many great things about stock outboard. Many of those things have been mentioned in this thread. That's why I'm in love with it, the positive things! They far out-weigh the negative.
                              I've been a racing member for only three years, but have been involved at several levels since I first met Craig Bowman at the 'Piney' a few years before we had our first 'KampKurz'. I think I met Craig in '82', he'll correct me if wrong I'm sure.
                              As I am a relatively new member, I tend to let the veterans do most of the decision making. They are people that I admire and respect. Still, I find the negative attitude of some of these veterans, that I have yet to meet, rather disgusting. Sure there are a few things that could be fixed, but a large portion of the conversation seems to focus on the negative. If I strung all those negative comments in a row and was forced to read them back to back, I am certain there would be a large grey cloud over my head and I would be trying not to cry. Honestly.
                              I think this sport is the greatest, and we are all lucky to get together once in a while to race and hang out. Lets stick together, do what we can, but remember that we are lucky folks, indeed. I'm not afraid of change, and I still have hope. Can't wait for next season. Mark Kurz

Comment

Thank you Mike !!!

Ok, here's my two cents. For me it's about the whole package. By that I mean it's the sights, sounds, smells and noise. It's great paint jobs and some not so great. It's about testing and making improvements. It's about pitting next to your friends and making a mad dash to get each other’s rigs in the water and then having time of your life racing for 2nd or 3rd against your buds.

It's about pot luck dinners, thunder storms and nervous walks to an outhouse that's too far away. It's about sunburns, cold water and long drives. Ok I think you get the picture, can't wait for 2011 .

As as side bar note if you really want to find out how to attract and retain new drivers ...........why not ask them. It wouldn’t be too hard to develop a data base of every driver with five years or less time within SO racing. Just a thought.

Sam,

Comment

Working...
                                X