What's Great About Stock Outboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
    ***I appreciate the attempt to change the tone but good feelings and good intentions will not fix what is broken in this sport.

Brad Walker
    Brad: No one agrees with you more that "good feelings" are not a fix. No one disagrees with you more that there is something "broken" about our sport.

While there are certainly many things that can be done better, this sport still has many very good things to offer.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Stock Outboard Racing Benefits/Ideas

The following is taken from the manual I reference earlier concerning benefits of SO Racing. Looks like this thread may become very constructive so I would like to quote again. One paragraph taken from the 2001 manual is as follows and remember this actually applied to the South Shore Outbord Association membership but certainly can be adapted in principle county-wide. PARAGRAPH XII 2001 AND BEYOND

The following information pertains to some outboard racing issues and
      ideas that should be addressed by SSOA throughout the millenium
      years. SSOA has a membership with many talents and expertise to
      assist in deciding our future as outboard racers. With this in mind,
      we at SSOA invite the membership to supply ideas and most
      importantly "solutions"

* SSOA will generate a five year plan outling outboard boat racing
      items of importance and a means to get them accomplished. We will
      seek membership advice where required.

* Communicate with other Regions soliciting their input.

* OBTAIN MORE MEDIA COVERAGE - Get outboard racing out there
      where people will hear about it. I.e., newspapers, membership local
      towns, local town TV, word of mouth and any other way deemed
      necessary.

* Investigate new engine posibilities for outboard boat racing with
      technical folks, manufacturers and APBA.

* Investigate along with other Regions the possibility of locating
      two or three race sites that could be utilized alternating weekends.
      Under this scenario, racers would be able to have events throughout
      the entire racing season. The alternating sites could be highly
      publicized in the anticipation of attracting new racing members and
      spectatorship.

Remember that the above was generated for SSOA but can apply anywhere.
      Each racing club should have a plan. REMEMBER - IT'S EVERY MEMBERS
      RESPONSIBILITY TO PROMOTE OUTBOARD BOAT RACING. Go get em!!

I enjoy watching and you folks must ensure the enjoyment.

Sincerely,
      Don Graham

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
        Well, from years of racing along side the SO category, I would say that Yamato SO racing motors make SO great. C stock hydro is the most exciting outboard class in racing (I have said this before, so I am not trying to work any agenda). Pound for pound, the 102's and 302's are simply great racing engines (as is the 80).
        This is a joke right. (as ha happened before David I see red and you see blue lolololo)

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
          Brad: No one agrees with you more that "good feelings" are not a fix. No one disagrees with you more that there is something "broken" about our sport.

While there are certainly many things that can be done better, this sport still has many very good things to offer.
          I think I'll stop now as most of you know how I stand in reguards to this topic so good luck and you know what Ed maybe if you are up to it we should have a few beers in Detroit and I might be able to make you see a few things I believe you need to see. (I do have trouble believing you are a conservative)

Pat Wright

Comment

What are we celebrating

We are celebrating celebating! Nothing tops a good awards ceremony coommmmmbahhhyaaa...........

I think what Ed is trying to say, is people that race love to attend events. Not just back yard races. So let's just say that everyone that races loves racing. And it doesn't suck to get a trophy in front of your peers and hear the appplause. That is great fun!

How do we get more people to love racing? That is the debate.

And Ed I know you are a little to the right of the aisle .......but I have to side with Pat you sound a little soft....
            Last edited by reed28n; 10-29-2010, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Ed, I am honestly incredulous you think nothing is broken in Stock Outboard.
              Please put away your rose colored glasses before you read any further.

Here are a few things I think are broken:

1)No plan for motor of choice in every class that is available new or reconditioned.

2)No plan or process for sunsetting a class with poor or even no participation.

3)No plan for membership growth and retention.

4)No plan for promoting Stock Outboard.

5)No long term (more than 1 year) plans for anything of any sort

I am sure the gallery will chime in with more.

The decline in membership is the elephant in the room. There has been a gradual decline in membership scince the membership peak in 1974.

Increasing the membership base solves a lot of problems. It lowers everyones entry fees. It provides fresh ideas and leadership. It provides a higher level of competition.

A higher level of competition drives membership growth. It comes full circle

Membership growth is the key to the future of Stock Outboard.

There is a 30+ year history of decisions by leadership to "protect the trailerbox" that have driven away the "joe average boatracer". As Dana noted several years ago we dont have a problem getting new racers, we have a problem keeping them.

But it is all OK, there is "nothing broken in Stock Outboard"

BW

In the spirit of the original poster I tried to attatch a picture of a unicorn pooping a rainbow to give out good vibrations to the boat racing community.
              Last edited by B Walker; 10-29-2010, 02:44 AM.
              302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Mr. Walker, you have an option.

First I am trying to figure if you're angry, bitter, disappointed or just plain don't like Ed. Whatever it is I guess there is something that you are free to do and that is - have you figured it out yet? - quit racing and do something else! Find yourself an activity that is perfect in every way and immerse yourself in it. It should be easy to find because all you have to do is follow the huge throng of other people who must be already doing it.

Comment

research project

Stock Outboard membership: less than 1k

Jet ski racing members nationally 4.5K international: 32k

Lawn mower racing membership: 5K

Bar stool racing membership: 4K

Snow machine racing 6k

Dont even ask about Karting cuz it is over 100K internationally.

Bar stool racing has 8X more members than Stock Outboard?

BW

In the spirit of the original poster I tried to attatch a picture of stars and glitter but it got stuck in the scanner
                  Last edited by B Walker; 10-29-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pops67g View Post
                    First I am trying to figure if you're angry, bitter, disappointed or just plain don't like Ed. Whatever it is I guess there is something that you are free to do and that is - have you figured it out yet? - quit racing and do something else! Find yourself an activity that is perfect in every way and immerse yourself in it. It should be easy to find because all you have to do is follow the huge throng of other people who must be already doing it.
                    Angry, bitter, dissapointed, dont like Ed?

None of the above and sorry it came across that way. If you had ever met me you would find me one of the most postive people you had ever met.

I simply fundamentally dissagree with Ed on very basic issues regarding the future of Stock Outboard and to walk away from them would be taking the easy way out.

None of this is personal with Ed and I am sure he understands it but we have a very long history of dissagreement on most issues regarding Stock Outboard.

I am sure some of my posts come across negatively but in context and taken as a complete body of work I have worked hard and long to support and improve Stock Outboard racing.

BW

In the spirit of the original poster I tried to attatch a video of Cartman from South Park and his experiences with rainbows
                    Last edited by B Walker; 10-29-2010, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Snow machine racing 6k

BW

In the spirit of the original poster I tried to attatch a picture of stars and glitter but it got stuck in the scanner
                      Because you can buy the stuff at almost any local dealer in the neighborhood.
                      Pat Wright

Comment

No Joke

Originally posted by raceright View Post
                        This is a joke right. (as ha happened before David I see red and you see blue lolololo)
                        12 C stock hydro's abreast is as exciting as gets in my opinion. That's does not mean that other exciting classes do not exist (they do).
                        David Weaver

Comment

Hmm let me see , In the last two seasons I have had my fair share of problems trying to get back into boat racing but through it all the one thing that has kept my attitude positive is the willingness of fellow racers offer to lend their help to keep me going for that I am truly thankful and I hope some day I can do the same THATS WHAT I THINK IS GREAT ABOUT STOCK OUTBOARD RACING
                          PJ
                          118-P
                          If your not fast, your food
                          TEAM TOWER
                          RUNABOUT DIVISION
                          Suck it up buddy its only three laps (John Runne)

Comment

Snow machine racing 6k

BW

Just a question...or a statement
                            What were their memberships at in their heydays? Have they seen a steady decline?
                            BTW...I just had a long conversation with a guy who races stand up jet ski's...he was telling me all their problems...I could have swore he was talking about boat racing...my point, don't act like we are alone in our issues every hobby similar to ours has the same issues.
                            Briefly he said…
                            Sponsorship has steadily gone away for the local races
                            Insurance has skyrocketed
                            The new person getting into our sport want to win right away and not work at it, they wanted it handed to them
                            People don’t like to travel
                            They can’t justify spending the money for a top rig for the reward
                            He went on and on but I would have swore he was talking about boat racing
                            Does that mean we shouldn't try to get more members and figure out how to keep them, No we need to.

But I also agree with Ed there are a lot of good things about our sport it's not all doom and gloom.
                            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
                              Just a question...or a statement
                              What were their memberships at in their heydays? Have they seen a steady decline?
                              BTW...I just had a long conversation with a guy who races stand up jet ski's...he was telling me all their problems...I could have swore he was talking about boat racing...my point, don't act like we are alone in our issues every hobby similar to ours has the same issues.
                              Briefly he said…
                              Sponsorship has steadily gone away for the local races
                              Insurance has skyrocketed
                              The new person getting into our sport want to win right away and not work at it, they wanted it handed to them
                              People don’t like to travel
                              They can’t justify spending the money for a top rig for the reward
                              He went on and on but I would have swore he was talking about boat racing
                              Does that mean we shouldn't try to get more members and figure out how to keep them, No we need to.

But I also agree with Ed there are a lot of good things about our sport it's not all doom and gloom.
                              Sponsorship is one good thing about Stock Outboard Racing. I have stated in the past that SO is somewhat insulated from the sponsorship cut backs because we were just never good at getting them. SO is racer sponsored. You pay your APBA membership, you pay to get to the race and your entry fees typically pay for the event.

I am starting to see there is really not much reason to deabte the state of Stock Outboard. We have too many members that just want to leave it alone. They don't want change. Stock Outbaord is a club. We are not forecasters or planners. We are operations people and maintenance people. Maintain what we have. If someone wants to join let'em, if they don't we'll race anyway. And that will be our legacy.

Comment

Big Don, at least in my experience, is stating the obvious. Too many young people in this day and age are so wrapped up in themselves and into instant gratification. Any activity that does not yield fame and fortune is rarely considered as something they would like to do. Add the complication of a learning curve such as boat racing (or any serious racing) requires and it's a no go. Stuff showrooms with our type of racing equipment and I still think the main source of new racers is our own gene pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X