What's Great About Stock Outboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Great About Stock Outboarding

Over the last month, I've received numerous calls and emails in response to a lot of the banter on HR about the state of our sport. Rest assured, there are many boat racers out there who make up the silent majority and who don't see things in the "doom and gloom" lens often portrayed here. So, in that light, I thought I'd mention just a few of the things that I think continue to be great about Stock Outboard Boatracing. I would invite all of you to share your thoughts in this thread as well.

First, kneel-down outboard racing still continues to be the starting ground for most of the "super stars" of powerboat racing. No one can argue with the fact that some of the most competitive drivers who go on to race in other categories get their start and learn their skills in outboard racing. Indeed, learning to start and drive in one of the A or C classes will give a powerboat racer an education and advantage in driving bigger boats that cannot be "learned" elsewhere.

Second, outboard racing is one of the few sports that requires both mental and physical abilities to compete. While many sports take strength, stamina and endurance to compete, the planning, ingenuity and strategy are not as necessary. Not in stock outboarding where design, set up and driving strategy are very important skills needed to be successful.

Third, outboard racing is a true family sport. The entire family participates and must help each other in order for the driver to succeed. This not only makes it fun, but it also makes the boat race an opportunity for the family to be together and work together. The result is that family relationships are strengthened because of participation in our sport.

While the economy in general has made a turn for the worse, boat racing participation has really not been affected to the same extent. I personally believe that it is for some of the reasons above. We can debate for years on end whether one class or engine should be combined with another or whether it shouldn't. In the grand scheme of things, however, our efforts really must be focused on preserving what is good about our sport. After all, that is what will attact other people to it and keep them racing.
    Attached Files
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Well said. That's a great reminder!

Comment

Agree as most will. But what is good for the sport is where the road is split.

Pat Wright

Comment

Ed, thank you for saying something positive for a change. To many folks focus on the negative. When we go racing it is a team effort and we love meeting everyone again just to catch up. We love our extended family!!
        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

A Good Sport

I started racing in 1961 and have been an enthusiasts ever since and raced last in about 2000 when we adopted a bunch of foster kids. I have run stock, mod and pro. I never set a record, did not finish a bunch of pro-class races and always had fun. I mostly enjoy technology and racing is a test of what was done in the shop. All to say, boat racing has been a great journey and I hope the sport will hang on through the bad economy. Ed, I hope you can further the sport.
          Thanks,
          Neil Bass

Comment

The best thing about Stock Outboard (Mod and PRO too) is the comraderie.

Comraderie is the intense feeling of brotherhood felt by most racers that have extended the gift of trust to the driver beside them. The trust that they will not screw the pooch and do something careless and stupid that will injure or kill another person. This level of trust allows the highest level of competition and creates lifetime relationships that are extended throughout multiple family generations.

The only other place I have felt the same level of comraderie as powerboat racing was for the people I worked with when I was in war zones in the US Navy.

There are a lot of current and former miltary in outboard racing for a reason.

In the grand scheme of things, however, our efforts really must be focused on preserving what is good about our sport. After all, that is what will attract other people to it and keep them racing.
            Ed, I agree with you that those three points are some of the greatest things about Stock Outboard racing. To be fair though those three things are consequences of the nature of the sport. Not results which may be changed by a rule or at the whim of the SORC. In other words, we can focus on preserving it but that wont fix anything.

The three points you have made have been true about Stock Outboard my entire life but I have watched the membership slowly decline over the last 35 years.

If we are not growing, we are dying.

Any predictions if there will be an increase or a decline in the membership for 2011?

I appreciate the attempt to change the tone but good feelings and good intentions will not fix what is broken in this sport.

Brad Walker
            Last edited by B Walker; 10-27-2010, 01:48 PM.
            302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Perspective from a Racer Finishing His Third Season

I realize I am probably not typical of most racers, or even typical of newcomers to the sport, but here is my story and why I race:

http://sorracing.yolasite.com/living-the-dream.php

I believe we have to build on the positives and work toward the best solutions for the sport. I lack the experience to offer many opinions on the issues of the day. I have met many great people with decades of racing experience, and have come to believe they have the best interest of the sport at heart. In the end, I trust the collective judgment of the racing community, and offer support to those interested in building a strong consensus to move forward in a positive direction.
              Tom Burwinkle
              11-K
              sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

Kneel Down Boating Racing is Great

I have been the benefactor of all things good about boat racing. I have seen my family enjoy everything about the sport and even though many family members no longer race, it always enters the conversation at family gatherings. Always sharing stories about all of the positive things.

I watched this sport mature my nephews into boat racing family members, helping in the pits and learning some valuable life lessons from a broad spectrum of participants and through the victories and defeats ready to face them in the real world.

Because I left this sport from 15 to 30 years of age, I came back to the sport as a virtual newbie. Some of the names were the same, one of the classes was the same 20SSH. All of the other classes had different motors. So, much of my passion in debates on this web site are surrounding the experience of being that newbie coming back to the sport, trying to get the right information and the right equipment to be competitive.

I wanted to race BSR because that was the most attractive class to me as a kid. It was full fields of arguably the best racers in the sport. In 1992-93 that class was the 15 cubic inch Hot Rod. So that is what we got. We struggled for years and much of that was our own fault.

Scott Clark on the other hand didn't care what class he raced. He entered the sport at the same time on the East Coast and bought the only 25XSH that showed at many races. He likely would have quit if it was not for Bob Goller and Charlie Gonyea tutoring and helping him get into classes that had lots of boats.

Meanwhile back at the Reed camp we dug in for a long battle with the Hot Rod.

What is my point?

Everyone here that has stuck with this sport over the years has recognized the value and enjoyment of participating in our sport.

But for the new racer. Make our sport marketable to the small number of people we attract by having only good choices for these potential racers. A low number of classes with good quality motor choices that can be obtained new, that do not require a machine shop to maintain. Then we have the best of all worlds. Point to a National program and when some is attracted to some motor not on that platform let them race it a local races.
                Last edited by reed28n; 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reed28n View Post

But for the new racer. Make our sport marketable to the small number of people we attract by having only good choices for these potential racers. A low number of classes with good quality motor choices that can be obtained new, that do not require a machine shop to maintain. Then we have the best of all worlds. Point to a National program and when some is attracted to some motor not on that platform let them race it a local races.
                  I agree, the key is not to require the new to racing or new to the class to buy from the junk pile.

Comment

Originally posted by nbass View Post
                    I agree, the key is not to require the new to racing or new to the class to buy from the junk pile.
                    AMEN

Pat

Comment

Stock Outboard Racing Benefits

Ed: Well said. I generated the South Shore Outboard Association Boat Racing History Manual in May 2001. The following quote was used and I think it applies always - " WE WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE MAN OR WOMEN WORKING WITH US THAN THREE MERELY WORKING FOR US" By: J. D. Day

Also stipulated in this manual are the following benefits of outboard racing which helps to build one's character.

1. Camaraderie.
                      2. Dealing/complying with outboard racing safety.
                      3. Increases one's awarness and reaction time.
                      4. Following a structured set of rules.
                      5. Forms lasting friendships.
                      6. Provides an opportunity to utilize ones individual mechanical, woodworking,
                      and engineering skills.
                      7. Therapeutic value.
                      8. Family travel and activity.

Last, I always new where my kid was!

Sincerely,
                      Don Graham

Comment

Outside Looking In

Well, from years of racing along side the SO category, I would say that Yamato SO racing motors make SO great. C stock hydro is the most exciting outboard class in racing (I have said this before, so I am not trying to work any agenda). Pound for pound, the 102's and 302's are simply great racing engines (as is the 80).
                        David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Ed: Well said. I generated the South Shore Outboard Association Boat Racing History Manual in May 2001. The following quote was used and I think it applies always - " WE WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE MAN OR WOMEN WORKING WITH US THAN THREE MERELY WORKING FOR US" By: J. D. Day

Also stipulated in this manual are the following benefits of outboard racing which helps to build one's character.

1. Camaraderie.
                          2. Dealing/complying with outboard racing safety.
                          3. Increases one's awarness and reaction time.
                          4. Following a structured set of rules.
                          5. Forms lasting friendships.
                          6. Provides an opportunity to utilize ones individual mechanical, woodworking,
                          and engineering skills.
                          7. Therapeutic value.
                          8. Family travel and activity.

Last, I always new where my kid was!

Sincerely,
                          Don Graham
                          Don you said it all. When our daughter was growing up we did horses with her and had the same experiance. Plus we ALWAYS knew where she was. Much better than video games and texting

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
                            Well, from years of racing along side the SO category, I would say that Yamato SO racing motors make SO great. C stock hydro is the most exciting outboard class in racing (I have said this before, so I am not trying to work any agenda). Pound for pound, the 102's and 302's are simply great racing engines (as is the 80).
                            So true, In three years we have won a lot with a 102 and 302 and I have never been on the end of a tow rope at a race. Always go out and come back on my own except for one swimming adventure.

That goes for these engines in Mod also

Comment

Success Stories

Let me just add to this thread: what would be nice to hear are success stories. One of the best APBA national conventions I have been to was the one that took place two or three years ago where the Inboard Category put on a 1/2 day seminar about how to conduct a successful race. They had three race organizers from three of their most successful races give a presentation. It was very helpful and I have incorporated some of those ideas into my race at Dayton.

So I'll start it: At Dayton, the awards ceremony is very important. Anyone who has been to my Dayton race knows this. When we ran the SO Nationals in 2005, we had a qualifiers party and gave out fastest qualifiers awards. Our finals drivers meeting WAS the qualifiers party where we had our DJ call each qualifier up to the stage one-by-one with the music playing. That was our required roll call.

While we have cut back on giving trophies, we still consider our Saturday night party very important and give tropies to the J and AX classes as well as our highpoint and fast lap awards.

One other thought: One of our club members made center pieces for the tables that were wooden racing boats this year. We auctioned those off and made an additional $300 that helped pay for the facility. Great fundraiser and we had fun during the auction.
                              14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Working...
                              X