Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reprinted from Propeller june 2007:

By Mike Johnson, Stock Outboard Steering Committee
    In January of this year, Stock Outboard Chair Ed Hearn formed a Stock Outboard Steering Committee chaired by John Runne. Members of the committee are Bob Trolian (Region 14), Dave Schubert (Region 5), Gary Romberg (Region 14), Mike Johnson (Region 10), Scott Reed (Region 2), and Dana Holt (Region 6). The committee’s function will be to generate proposals and rule changes to the SORC to achieve the goals set forth below.
    John Runne has established an ambitious set of goals for the committee:
    • Create a philosophy for Stock Outboard—what classes, what structure, what kind of plan?
    • Develop class standards—not necessarily for elimination, but for the evaluation and planning of classes.
    • Lay out short-term and long-term class structures, and a system to transition from where we are to where we want to be.
    • Create a finite method for the phasing in and out of motors specific enough for the membership to prepare for their future.
    • Encourage the Stock Outboard Racing Commission (SORC) to become a proactive decision-making body rather than a reactive one by encouraging planning.
    • Create a strategy for the growth and promotion of Stock Outboard.
    • Find ways for struggling clubs and regions to reduce the cost of putting on events.
    • Create a network of mentors to help new members, and a way to funnel used equipment to a single marketplace.
    • Suggest changes to the APBA Board of Directors to improve communications and decision-making processes in order to fully develop proposals and get clear direction from the membership to commissioners.
    The committee has already come together around some philosophical building blocks:
    • Local racing is our key to growth.
    • Every successful organization has a business plan; Stock Outboard needs one.
    • The future of Stock Outboard is more important than the present or past.
    • Focus on attracting new racers.
    • Old motors need to fade away.
    The committee presented a report to the SORC at the 2007 National Meeting. It included the following basic elements:
    • A class structure with a four-year transition plan for motors (see table).
    • Specific goals for each class with proposals to achieve these goals.
    • Minimum class participation standards for national status.
    The proposed class structure is an effort to work back to a simpler structure consisting of 12 Stock Outboard classes: A, 15SS, B, C, and D (Runabout and Hydro), 25SSH, and 45SST.
    A key component of the plan is to transition the A, B, 20SSH, and 25SSR classes to the new Sidewinder motors being produced by Racing Outboards LLC over the next few years. These four would morph into the A, 15SS, and B classes, with the Sidewinder 15 and 20 motors eventually becoming the favored motors. The current primary motors in these classes are 15-30 years old. The intention is to avoid prolonging the life of out-of-production motors if there is a viable alternate available.
    A critical part of this transition is Racing Outboards being able to deliver motors. They have made great progress and expectations are high. We feel that if they can maintain the schedule that they expect, than these motors should have the opportunity to move into our class structure as soon as possible. The future of these classes is reliant upon the success of the Sidewinder project.
    Since we are not likely to see a return to the days of motor production for Stock Outboard at a major corporate level, we depend on small endeavors like Racing Outboards and others for new motors. Success for them is success for us. This means that the transition to new motors may need to be handled in a different manner than the SORC has handled it in the past.
    New motors like the Sidewinders need to be given the opportunity to be competitive out of the box and to become the dominant motors in their classes. We can only recommend new motors to new racers if they can be expected to do well with them.
    Current racers will certainly not buy the new motor if they are still winning with their old motors. The idea is to create a situation where the class will naturally drift to the newer motor, and the old one will phase itself out.
    The final basic element presented in Los Angeles was a new set of rules for class eligibility. The intent of these rules was to clearly identify when a class is not meeting a National level of participation, and the process for the class when it drops below that threshold.
    The proposed rules automatically reduced classes to local status if they failed to meet the requirements. It did not identify specific classes—as long as a class meets the minimum participation standards, it maintains a National status. By establishing minimum participation class standards, we allow the market to determine which classes need focus to remain viable. This would relieve the SORC of the responsibility of eliminating classes.
    The SORC approved the overall report in principle at the 2007 National meeting, and put the class eligibility rule changes on the ballot. This particular rule has already been voted down by the Stock Outboard membership.
    Change is a difficult process. There are a number of big-picture questions involved. Do we keep both older motors and newer motors, to avoid potentially turning away existing racers? Do we make newer motors dominant in order to create a market for them? Is the cost of equipment going to turn people away? How should change be managed—from the top down or the bottom up?
    The Steering Committee is in the process of writing rules to implement the basic elements contained in the article. As rules are formulated, they will be sent to the SORC for approval. The Steering Committee welcomes discussion of these issues and encourages you to contact your region Stock Commissioner(s) with your opinions.
    The changes approved by the Stock Outboard D Parity Committee were also approved by the APBA Board of Directors on April 17th, 2007. They take effect 30 days thereafter, on May 17th, 2007, and are in effect for the current racing season. The changes were published on page 5 in the May issue of Propeller and online.
    The first listed motor in each class/year (exception - DSR/DSH) is considered the “motor of choice.”

Class 2007 2008 2009 2010
    ASR/ASH
    OMC “A”
    Mercury “A”

OMC “A”
    Mercury “A”
    Sidewinder “A”
    (probationary)

Sidewinder “A”
    OMC “A”
    Mercury “A”

Sidewinder “A”
    OMC “A”
    Mercury “A”

BSR/BSH
    (becomes 15SSR/H)

Hot Rod 15
    Sidewinder 15 (probationary)

Sidewinder 15
    Hot Rod 15

Sidewinder 15
    Hot Rod 15

Sidewinder 15
    Hot Rod 15

20SSH
    (becomes BSH)

Yamato 80
    Yamato 102/302 (res.)
    Sidewinder 20
    (probationary)

Yamato 80
    Yamato 102/302 (res.)
    Sidewinder 20
    (probationary?)

Sidewinder 20
    Yamato 80

Sidewinder 20
    Yamato 80

25SSR
    (becomes BSR)

Mercury 25XS
    Yamato 102/302 (res.)
    Hot Rod 20
    Sidewinder 20
    (probationary)

Mercury 25XS
    Yamato 102/302 (res.)
    Hot Rod 20
    Sidewinder 20
    (probationary?)

Sidewinder 20
    Mercury 25XS

Sidewinder 20
    Mercury 25XS

CSR/CSH Yamato 102/30 Yamato 102/302 Yamato 102/302 Yamato 102/302

25SSH Mercury 25XS Mercury 25XS Mercury 25XS Mercury 25XS

DSR/DSH Tohatsu/Bass “D”
    Mercury 44XS

Tohatsu/Bass “D”
    Mercury 44XS

Tohatsu/Bass “D”
    Mercury 44XS

Tohatsu/Bass “D”
    Mercury 44XS

pav225

Question on Yamato motors....
    Why would the SORC, and racers, ever consider removing a Yamato motor from a class?

Speaking from experience, they have been the most reliable and least expensive motors in APBA for the last 25+ years. These are both attributes that new racers tend to find appealing.

- Mike Pavlick

This should be the model. Same goes for 20SSH and CSH, buy a 302, a restrictor plate, and one boat. Racing 2 classes equates to water time, more bang for the buck and everyone is happy (at least I am).

Sounds like most people want to leave the Merc in the A class, has anyone kicked around the idea of a detuned Sidewinder in J? This way you can transition from J to A at no additional cost. It follows Mike's thought process...............

I have been concerned about the DOMINANCE of one manufacturer (Racing Outboards) being projected for stock outboard racing. I have a purchasing background and the idea of projecting one manufacturer to supply motors to 6 out of 11 classes while the best supplier (Yamato) we have had over the last decade has only 2 classes projected would be unthinkable.

The 20 SSH class is a very viable class with used 80 motors available on the internet and in the racing community plus parts available from one or more vendors. Also, with the 102 and 302 motor able to compete in the class and new 302 motors available, it just does not make sense to me to put the Sidewinder into that class and to remove the 102 and 302 from the class.

Some people are indicating the 302 cannot compete on the national level with the 80 motor. I disagree with that conclusion. With the proper setup, our testing indicates the 302 is competitive with the 80 motor.

I do believe a lot of time and discussion has gone into the suggestion put forth in the last Propeller and I appreciate the hard work of the people that put the suggestion together. I just hope the comments above are taken seriously.

Charlie Pater
    Last edited by drbyrne55; 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM.
    BOPP

Comment

Well, I am going to marinade on this for a little longer and then I will deliver one of my post ending rants. Weeeeee!!! Now we are having fun!
      sigpic

Comment

Hey,

We had 15 days of racing minus one for a blow out between the borders of Ill/WI. A SO and Pro Divisionals also.

With economic environment today local races are the growth engine to generate people to enter the sport and stay in the sport. Those are tough club and Region decisions.

We polled our membership and they wanted more local races. We did what they asked and my first line statement is the result. We don't have to go thru CHI-town to get points unless you want to. Altough we do like racing with our R6 friends.

Over the years in discussion between R6 and R7, they too are expanding their local programs with great sites. They will develope new members and current members will most likely increase their participation.

Local racing opprotunities is part of the membership equation, not the solution.

Warbs
        I think it has been well proven that Stock Outboard has no problem GETTING new members.........it has a problem KEEPING new members. The SORC of the last several years has identified that motors in current production are a key element to the growth of SO. I hope the new leadership agrees.

BW
        302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

As I look at history I would have to say Scott was a Millard Fillmore or Franklin Pierce as our SORC chairman.

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
            I think it has been well proven that Stock Outboard has no problem GETTING new members.........it has a problem KEEPING new members. The SORC of the last several years has identified that motors in current production are a key element to the growth of SO. I hope the new leadership agrees.

BW
            If you follow Wartinger's theory about complicated multi discipline jobs, it takes at least 5 years to become proficient at something as complicated as boat racing. That is why you see so many ads looking for tradesmen with more than 5 years experience.

The idea of mentors has been discussed before and I think it is a good idea, but maybe more people would stick it out if there was a bigger incentive ...

How about something like free membership for all newbies 5th year if they race at least 7 or 8 days (just 3 or 4 race weekends) in 4 consecutive years?

Comment

timeline for changes...

maybe the commissioners and chairman terms need to be made longer, so that a process can be made...........constantly changing these people defeats a long term goal...........
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Like 29268012

Daren,

The reason we have it with the short terms is to prevent a lame duck chairmen. Which in over half of the membership we had. Not saying Ed was the answer, but rather an improvement from the current situation.

For example OPC elected a chairman that hasn't been in a boat since 1994 maybe 1996. Then has never even been in an OPC style boat. Is that an improvement from the former? Probably not, but its change.

Other categories require the past chairman to be on the new commission to ensure continuity.

We probably would be where we are now if way back in when OMC came out with the looped charged 15 our contact, Fred Miller, denied the motor exist. Other instances have been the same.

We wouldn’t have to try to railroad projects of new motors in. Other motor sports are successful because they upgrade equipment with a 5-year phase out plan for old equipment.

Use moto as an example. When a new motor comes out the big teams upgrade, yesterday. The small teams have 5 years to conform. So they aren’t looking to buy a new motor today. But they have competition committees to ensure the new motor wins, but the old motor, well could win.

Implementing a motor into 3 classes at once when they can only sell 5 in a year in the current class its legal isn’t the right plan.

SpeedRacr223

Side Note
                Scott claimed on a post here on hydroracer that he broke the Merc out of “A” because it was to fast. Yet it has always been slower than the OMC. Yet if what I hear is correct, the new sidewinder “A” is slower than the OMC. So the merc and the Sidewinder would be prefect together.

Also if I was a J parent that paid for a Merc and I only own a merc, 70% of J parents. I would keep my kid in AX since my motor is no longer legal in stock. Dumb choice. Please allow the Merc in ‘A’ and slow down the OMC with a date to replace by date. 5 year plan.
                Last edited by speedracer223; 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer223 View Post
                  Daren,

the reason we have it with the short terms is to prevent a lame duck chairmen. Which in over half of the membership we had. Not saying Ed was the answer, but rather an improvement from the current situation.

For example OPC elected a chairman that hasn't been in a boat since 1994 maybe 1996. Then has never even been in a OPC style boat. Is that an improvement from the former. Probably not, but its change.

but............the chairman is not the one that makes the decisions......it is the commission that does. The chairman is the one that takes the abuse from the decisions, even though the commission is the one that makes them. But, I have found that there is still "personal interest" in the way the commissioners vote, versus more so for the interest of their region they represent and the category as a whole.........do I think it is a KEY FACTOR for the chairman to have been in a boat recently or not...........not really......sometimes looking from the outside in has a better perspective???

all in all I really think the way the SO Chairman was just elected is pretty piss poor...........the members should have had plenty of time to discuss it with their SO commissioners and voiced there concerns, then a decision should have been made............did any of the SO commissioners contact the members in their region of whom they represent to discuss this?????????
                  Last edited by mercguy; 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM.
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

that was an amazing quick responds. I didn't even edit my poor post before you had time to rebut my post. I have watched former commissions vote for things that would slow their family down to improve the sport, example Don Hagerl. He would cost his son a mile and hour or two if would level the playing field. Not what most commission member actually think about when at the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer223 View Post
                      that was an amazing quick responds. I didn't even edit my poor post before you had time to rebut my post. I have watched former commissions vote for things that would slow their family down to improve the sport, example Don Hagerl. He would cost his son a mile and hour or two if would level the playing field. Not what most commission member actually think about when at the meeting.

oops, sorry.........I had to edit mine also.........
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I think that you and i are in agreement but we both have different ideas of how to get to the main goal.... For instance with the class names changing does that mean rules are open to be changed without driver votes. IE BSR is now 15SSR, does that mean that side fins are legal again. I sure hope not. It amazing to watch the pits when they are running. everyone, ok almost everyone is watching, since besides 20 and C its the most exciting class to watch.

Comment

SpeedRacr223

You have a lot to say, at least identify yourself.............

Regards,
                          TROY GLADKOWSKI

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
                            maybe the commissioners and chairman terms need to be made longer, so that a process can be made...........constantly changing these people defeats a long term goal...........

here's another idea, the members elect the commissioners correct, well have the elected commissioners elect a chairperson from within the commission as opposed to appointing someone who has not been elected by the members

Comment

Originally posted by 14J View Post
                              SpeedRacr223

You have a lot to say, at least identify yourself.............

Regards,
                              TROY GLADKOWSKI
                              Attached Files
                              BOPP

Comment

Originally posted by drbyrne55 View Post
                                Dan-

Thank you, I figured it was him

Comment

Working...
                                X