State Boat Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunjumper View Post
    Huge boat sale @ Troys... Whole trailer must go, A's, C's, motors, props, gear, everything must go. Racing in Region 3 is becoming too difficult, going swimming at Troys, need beer money!
    Everyone is welcome.

Pubilc Service Announcement:

Please do not buy Greg's life jacket, it is not coast guard approved!

Comment

multiple registrations

Now I'm going to bring up other cost problems. Will mandatory registrations for race boats be affordable to the guy who runs 3-4 different boats? It almost seems like you would have to stagger your registration dates to try to avoid that big lump sum you would have to pay out every three years. I think it would be better if racers who would be only driving one boat at a time had a blanket type registration number to cover all of their boats. In a way it would be like auto dealers having a dealership tag that they obviously pay more money for but are able to just temporarily attach it to the vehicle for test drivers.
      One of the biggest rip offs in the north is boat and boat trailer registration. You pay for all year long use, but who goes boating in January? Oh yeah, they tell you that there is an adjustment in the rate for the winter, but I don't see it. In Ohio, your boat registration always expires in March of a year that is I believe 30 months from the previous March. In other words, if I registered a boat in the fall of 2009 my expiration date is March of 2011. I usually go yellow perch fishing in the fall months. I didn't register my fishing boat in the spring. Call me cheap, but I said the heck with it and decided not to register, because I would be paying for 4-6 months of non use of the boat.
      Bottom line, it is coming down to money in the state coffers. This year is the first time I ever received a mail notification that I didn't have my boats registered. They want my money. I have taken newly built boats to an inspection station and had to have all of the necessary safety equipment in the boat, but it is understood that during a racing event I don't require the equipment on board. They want to title both the boats and the motors so they can get tax money from you. They say it is to safeguard stolen property from being sold illegally. But, I believe they really want the tax revenue from selling and titling. We also have to show receipts and photos to get registration for the first time.
      We have to apply to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for water use permits. Mike Marshall will confirm that this is becoming more difficult. Our Akron Ohio race is exempt from ODNR registration because the local community has the right to schedule any event on the water that is located within the boundries of the community. And because of this, we are not required to have all the safety gear on board. This is also true of ODNR approved events. Will it change in the future. It just might. There was a law on last November's ballot that gives residents living on waterways specific rights to contest the waterways usage. I don't know if it passed, but keep an eye in your state. It may soon be on your ballot.

Comment

I would like information for regions 1, 2, 3, 4 if you have in you state boating laws have statement, exempt clause for boats used only for racing. Example NJ has boats under 12 ft and used for racing only do not need state # during a sanction regatta. Pa has a test permit which allows owners, racers testing for a sanction regatta are exempt, but does not mention the regatta itself. Just special marine permit which does not mention exempt state registration reg # during the regatta. Infomation needed.

Jim Tower 118P

Comment

Here is a portion of Missouri law:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to motorboats registered and actually participating in a racing event or tune-up periods for such racing events or to a motorboat being operated by a boat or engine manufacturer for the purpose of testing or development.

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
            I remember back in the day some outboard motors had to be spun 180 degrees to get reverse. That was back when we sucked on lead paint as kids and never used bike helmets.
            You mean like my 3.3hp Merc I use on the dingy .

Comment

NJ Law as Pertaining to Registration:

"12:7-34.38 Numbering of vessels required; exemptions

...A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this act if it is:

...(f) Any vessel used exclusively for racing while actually competing in or tuning up
              for an authorized race held under the auspices of a duly incorporated yacht club or racing association in accordance with the rules and regulations prescribed by the Division of State Police and pursuant to a permit duly issued by that division;"

Which is saying that if you have permission to have an event in NJ this law does not apply. Also, the only thing that we as racers are not exempt from in NJ is the boating safety requirement laws.
              sigpic

Comment

Another example of exemption:

"13:82-1.3 Equipment...13:82-1.4
                (a) No person shall operate or allow any person to operate any vessel in or on the waters of this State unless the vessel is carrying on board the minimum equipment required by Title 33 and Title 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations, amendments thereto and as may be amended, for the size and type of vessel.

...13:82-1.7 Speed
                ...13:82-1.16 Exclusion of racing events
                The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to any vessel or to any operator while actually competing in an authorized race as in N.J.A.C. 13:82-4.6, held under the auspices of a duly incorporated yacht club or racing association.

...13:82-4.6 Racing events
                (a) Every incorporated yacht club or racing association, before holding or conducting races or regattas, whether for inboard or outboard motors, or both, shall first secure a permit to hold such races from the State Police.
                (b) Application for such permit shall be made in writing to the State Police at least 45 days prior to the race or regatta, and no such race or regatta shall be conducted unless a permit has been received.
                (c) Any such permit shall include such requirements as will tend to insure the safety of those 16 competing and the safety of other craft, during such regatta or race, including the tuning-up period before, as shall be prescribed by the State Police. All boats not competing, except official boats, shall remain anchored during the running of the events of the race or regatta."
                sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, pesky registration fees . . .

Boats in NC get renewed every three years - for $8 I think. Cheap. But the dang trailer has to be reuped every freaking year! PITA. One of my trailers has a VA tag - permanent - costs $50, never expires. I'm running that puppy until it rots off the trailer or vice-versa. NC won't issue a permanent tag unless you are a "business" enterprise. More paperwork - I hate paperwork . . .
                  carpetbagger

Comment

I registered one boat, said I built it. We then put CF numbers on piece of plastic which can just be screwed into side of boat. I then interchange between boats as I test. Inexpensive and at least half way legal

Comment

Originally posted by jtower3941 View Post
                      Hi Scott:
                      The Fish & Game Commission has written me a letter about the Dam Race in June. The letter states that state registrations will be checked. Last year the officer said it is necessary. We had stated that APBA national registration during the sanction hours made it not necessary for us to have state registration. Officer did not except this explaination but said he would not shut us down. Talked to Mark Weber about this and he said they would discuss this at the next meeting.

What is the answer. Are we exempt from state reg. during the APBA Event. If so we need paper work in hand to present to officer before the event. Racing is getting harder with NJ Pa marine police. As you know this was the first race in White Haven and got the attention of Fish & Boating. Fist time that officer had this problem. Did not know any exemption and stated this is in my book that your need registration.

Sorry to bring this problem.

Jim Tower 118P
                      Good news on Pa. boat registration for race boats. The Pa Fish and Boat for the Dam District has given White Haven an exemption for hours of the sanction. It will not be necessary for race boats to be registered for this race. All supporting boats, rescue, tow, or testing outside the sanction will need state registration.

Jim Tower 118-P

Comment

Mill foil boat sticker

Yes, you read it right. Just add this to the list of expenses that will show up in your state to. Idaho just invoked a new law where any boat over 10 feet and is motorized must pay $20 dollars per boat for the elimination of mill foil. You don't have to wash your boat off, just pay the money. We were just notified we must have a receit of payment for our race next weekend or don't bother getting the boat off the rack.

We love the way notification by these states are the last minute. I just know boater safety classes are next!
                        Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

I think the states are reading this web site!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X