This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of OSY - Pro or Stock

A couple of people from the J. Michael OSY Record thread suggested starting a new OSY thread regarding whether OSY should be reassigned by APBA from Pro to Stock. So, here is the thread.

OSY is the largest Pro class by far and in the world - OSY is run from Lakeland to Seattle to China to Germany to Sweden. However, OSY seems to be a lightening rod for controversy in the Pro Division - from being excluded from running the Pro Eastern Divisionals with most of the other Pro classes to the recent record being tossed due to approved Pro inspector issues.

What is your opinion on the subject? What are the pros and cons of OSY in Pro? If the Pro Commission wants to take a pass on OSY is the Stock Commission interested? What are the pros and cons of OSY in Stock? Could it be moved even if APBA agreed due to UIM rules? Should this class be done away? Should the 202 motors be legalized in CSH or in 20SSH with a restrictor?
    Last edited by DougMc; 06-04-2006, 08:33 PM.

Just to Clarify

PRO Eastern Divisionsals:

1) Antiques' event will be held at a race in region 7. Probably only PRO classes at that event (with the exception) of OSY 400.

2) USTS June Race in DePue - All "normal" USTS classes on schedule. This race will serve as Divisionals for these classes.

3)USTS race in Constantine - Divisionals for OSY 400 and 1100cc Runabout.

4) 2 classes without a divisional race, so far, are 175cc hydro and 500 sprint hydro.

In my opinion, "lightening rod for controversy" is an exageration. The situation in Pineville would have been the same whether the class had been 250cc hydro, antique C service or K PRO. With regards to the divisionals, only 1 bid was made for all the classes and there was concern regarding the particular race location and date to draw a sizeable field of boats in most of the classes. The Spring DePue race will draw a good field of baots, but the USTS did not want to race from sun-up to sun-down. Constantine has run OSY 400 and 1100 runabout for a number of years to give our west coast friends a chance to race a week before the nationals and get more bang for their travel buck.

Stock Outboard would appear to have more than enough classes. Wht re-introduce a C2 Hydro again??

The PRO Category enjoys OSY 400. It brings a lot of drivers into the category and has resulted in a number of these capable drivers trying other PRO Classes.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM.
    David Weaver

Comment

OSY-400 at USTS

Is OSY-400 part of the US Title Series or is it only being run at the few races you mentioned due to a Divisional Championship also being run?
      Ed Hearn.
      14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Apba Osy-400

Neither APBA's Pro OSY-400 nor Stock CSH class rules comply with UIM's rules for OSY-400. Most especially, under the UIM rules, it is not legal to do the work on the lower unit nor the cylinder head that is legal in APBA. Additionally, UIM's rules require a minimum weight (unlike APBA's OSY-400) and also require that the hull have a reinforced cockpit (not required in either APBA class).

Interestingly, however, UIM's J Class uses a restrictor in the Yamato engines similar to NBRA's Novice class. UIM calls this OSY-R. I assume that refers to the restrictor. Ed Hearn.

Add: It is also interesting that, under the UIM rules, the hull without the driver has a minimum weight. EWH.
        Last edited by 14-H; 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM.
        14-H

Comment

OSY400 is not run at all USTS races. It has been added to the schedule of selected events over the past two-three years. The class was included on the schedule regularly several years ago until the participation dropped-off. OSY400 and 1100 runabout would have been included at Constantine regardless of the availability of a divisional championship.
          David Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver
            OSY400 is not run at all USTS races. It has been added to the schedule of selected events over the past two-three years. The class was included on the schedule regularly several years ago until the participation dropped-off. OSY400 and 1100 runabout would have been included at Constantine regardless of the availability of a divisional championship.
            Isn't it true that there was a push from Region 5 recently to add OSY-400 as a full Title Series Class and that request was rejected? Ed.
            14-H

Comment

Pease, Please, Please take OSY-400 from the PRO category. We have a few more classes to shed as well!

Chris

Comment

[QUOTE=14-H]Neither APBA's Pro OSY-400 nor Stock CSH class rules comply with UIM's rules for OSY-400. Most especially, under the UIM rules, it is not legal to do the work on the lower unit nor the cylinder head that is legal in APBA. Additionally, UIM's rules require a minimum weight (unlike APBA's OSY-400) and also require that the hull have a reinforced cockpit (not required in either APBA class).

UIM rule book section 525 - weight 100kg boat only, 170kg with driver, compares to CSH. Motor differences are similar with Yamato only replacement parts. 102,202,302 only for permissible motors, 80 not permitted as in APBA.

Hull design is hydro only with 60% maximum sponson length.

All of the motors that come over need the head and gearcase done showing they dont permit modifications too them.
                nightmoves

Comment

I also forgot UIM requires kevlar reinforced cockpit sides. Not a bad rule to be observed by all.
                  nightmoves

Comment

Originally posted by nightmoves
                    UIM rule book section 525 - weight 100kg boat only, 170kg with driver, compares to CSH. Motor differences are similar with Yamato only replacement parts. 102,202,302 only for permissible motors, 80 not permitted as in APBA.

Hull design is hydro only with 60% maximum sponson length.

All of the motors that come over need the head and gearcase done showing they dont permit modifications too them.
                    I did not know this.

These numbers convert to:

100 kg = 220 lbs
                    170 kg = 375 lbs

A Yamato 302 weight 91.27 lbs, which means their boats must weigh no less than 129.19 lbs.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm
                    Last edited by DougMc; 06-05-2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DougMc
                      I did not know this.

These numbers convert to:

100 kg = 220 lbs
                      170 kg = 375 lbs

A Yamato 302 weight 91.27 lbs, which means their boats must weigh no less than 129.19 lbs.

I think the without driver weight includes motor.
                      nightmoves

Comment

Take it a way!!!!!

Originally posted by ChrisH
                        Pease, Please, Please take OSY-400 from the PRO category. We have a few more classes to shed as well!

Chris
                        I must becoming mellow in my old age. I agree with ChrisH, and while we are at isn't time to put to rest some of those 70 year old engines?
                        ProHydroRacer

Comment

?????

Originally posted by 14-H
                          Isn't it true that there was a push from Region 5 recently to add OSY-400 as a full Title Series Class and that request was rejected? Ed.
                          Perhaps, but the USTS is not affiliated with any one region. We are fortunate to draw club members from all over the country. With that said, the majority of the members and (therefore the events) are east of the Mississippi.

Changes to our class structures are considered routinely. And from time-to-time, we add a class(es) for specific events.
                          David Weaver

Comment

We are not adding anymore classes to the USTS. What we have works. We add OSY to a few races as a good will gesture and in hopes of bringing some of those drivers over to other PRO classes. The majority know and understand this.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                            Tomtall 06

Comment

Speaking of OSY-400, when will it be run at the Pro Nationals? When is the latest one running the OSY-400 get to the Pro Nationals? I am thinking of stopping by there on the way to Wakefield.

Rick Miller
                              34-0

Comment

Working...
                              X