No announcement yet.

APBA Rules At Winternats (esp. numbers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APBA Rules At Winternats (esp. numbers)

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING APPLICABLE RULES:

This event is a National Championship event for the Stock and Modified Categories of the APBA. APBA rules will be used at this event. All entries must comply with APBA rules including APBA General Racing and Safety Rules, SO,MOD & J Combined Racing and Safety Rules and all class technical rules.

Accordingly, ALL BOATS MUST COMPLY WITH APBA RULES INCLUDING THOSE REGARDING BOAT NUMBERS. Simply put, this requires that boat numbers either be black numbers on a solid white back ground or white numbers on a solid black background. THE BACK GROUND MUST BE SOLID-meaning that shadowed numbers or a partial background is NOT sufficient. The numbers must also be READABLE by the scorers.

THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS MADE AT THIS EVENT TO THE NUMBERS RULE- or any other rule for that matter. You will not receive a safety inspection sticker at this event unless your numbers comply with these rules.

To be clear, this announcement is not directed to any particular membership of any particular sanctioning body. In the past year, this writer has seen numerous violations of this rule by members of the only sanctioning body of which he was a member in 2008.
    Last edited by 14-H; 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

What if the shadow overlaps and the white is 2.75689in. larger than the outline of 9 in. numbers? Thus making a cloud of fluffy white surrounding the numbers and the border of the background parallels the number edges.

What if I bring a note from a scorer saying she can read them?

If I have legal numbers can I skip the drivers meeting?

Comment

Just accept the rule!

I'm in the sign business and I like to show off any artistic talent I may have with trick graphics and numbers on my raceboats. I had to tear off some nice stuff in the last couple of years to satisfy the rule. It was a nuisance, but I did it. Stick to the rule book and it saves a lot of silly arguments about what you think the scorers should be able to see.

Comment

4. Runabouts used in MO, SO, JR and AXSR classes must be affixed with numbers that are black on a solid white background or white on a solid
        black background. The figures and letters must be at least 6 inches in height and the stroke must be at least 1 inch wide, where space permits. There
        must be at least 1 inch of background around the number, where space permits. There must be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each figure
        and letter, where space permits. Numbers must be affixed to both sides of the boat.

1. Hydroplanes shall be affixed with vertical numbers on both sides of the boat. Numbers must be a minimum of six (6) inches in height and one
        (1) inch stroke where space permits and shall be black on white or white on black. The background must be solid. There shall be at least one (1) inch
        background border around each number and letter, where space permits. There shall be a minimum of one (1) inch spacing between each number and
        letter, where space permits.

Not the only rules, however these two points describe the actual numbers themselves, NOT the placement of them.
        sigpic

Comment

6" x 1"

I will tell you that if you put numbers on your boat that are only 6" tall and only have a 1" stroke, the numbers will not be readable by the scorers. You need to MAXIMIZE the available space you have. If the scorers cannot read your numbers, you will NOT be scored.

I'm really sorry to be a jerk about this, but I will not tolerate drivers screaming at the scorers because the scorers complain that they cannot see the driver's boat numbers. You think I'm making this up???

Thus, I will be the jerk! Eddie.
          Last edited by 14-H; 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM.
          14-H

Comment

Originally posted by MGallagher View Post
            4. Runabouts used in MO***Not the only rules, however these two points describe the actual numbers themselves, NOT the placement of them.
            To be clear, the numbers on the boat in Mr. Gallagher's Avtar are NOT LEGAL! Eddie.
            14-H

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
              What if the shadow overlaps and the white is 2.75689in. larger than the outline of 9 in. numbers? Thus making a cloud of fluffy white surrounding the numbers and the border of the background parallels the number edges.
              Maybe. You might want to bring some extra white tape just to be sure as you may be making some changes.

What if I bring a note from a scorer saying she can read them?
              Not if that scorer is your MOTHER! Can you say "biased"?

If I have legal numbers can I skip the drivers meeting?
              Not a chance, pal!
              14-H

Comment

Is there anything about the letter being before the number illegal??

Kevin

Y-44
                "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McAfee View Post
                  Is there anything about the letter being before the number illegal??

Kevin

Y-44
                  Kevin: Hear no evil, see no evil. If your numbers look like the one in your Avtar, you will get a safety inspection sticker. Ed.
                  14-H

Comment

Thanks,

Kevin
                    "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Don't just look at the writ of the rule book regarding numbers. It says what it says, but then you get to the scorers section and they toss a discretionary rule zinger in there with no warning it is there from the section regrading numbers.

Basically, any scorer can decide they can't read your numbers, and without notice, DQ you...It happened to us at the sectionals.

So, I made 12" numbers, 1.5" wide, legible at 1/4 mile with a naked eye. If they can't read them they need cataract surgery.

Mistake number 2 we made...Make sure you parade by the judges stand so they acknowledge your boat in that time frame before the one minute gun fires......
                      In our case, it could have saved allot of BS, cause there ain't one boat on the water that remotely looks like KT's.
                      Bill Schwab
                      Miss KTDoodle #62C
                      -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Who thinks the 14-h needs a hug?

Everyone fix your numbers or you will hear this from the number police, "If you can not afford numbers, no numbers will be given to you. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200's. Just pack your rig up and tell everyone you would have won the nationals but for .5 inches of white tape."

Oh,
                        If I bring a scorer can I skip the drivers meeting? And what is your problem with mothers? Are you saying moms can not be objective? You get scored by mothers all of the time.

P.S. My numbers are over 10in in height and the ladies will like the width as well.....

Ed, Thanks for all of the work on the race.

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
                          Kevin: Hear no evil, see no evil. If your numbers look like the one in your Avtar, you will get a safety inspection sticker. Ed.
                          Good. I'll leave my number as it is this time.....

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Ed,
                            According to the rules the are MORE than legal. They are legible, 8" tall, 1.5" apart at there closest point, and have a 2" solid black background. They also are placed from dash forward. The rule should be adjusted if they are NOT legible.

If we abide by the rules, or guidelines, and still get booted because a scorer can not read the numbers, giving them the power of interpretation, we must of missed bringing this up at the National Meeting.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MGallagher View Post
                              Ed,
                              According to the rules the are MORE than legal. They *** have a 2" solid black background. ***.
                              The rule does not say that they have to have a "solid 2" background". The rule says they must have a "solid back ground."

Your numbers are white and your background is black but it is not a solid one. Any print-maker would be pleased to explain that you have "outline" numbers, not solid numbers on a solid background.

Re: changing the rule: talk to you commissioner.
                              14-H

Comment

Working...
                              X