No announcement yet.

Favorite Thing About Racing in DePue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my tennis pratice in,(dam fish) and watching some great great racing.

Comment

Riding in the back, or I should say holding on for dear life, in an 1100ccR, and taking the crown in 1992.

Comment

the racers

For me it would be all the friends(racers) I have made! Being from Depue and a part of the mens club, the racers are the greatest people! I can say that they are the best, I don't know what the last weekend in july wouldn't be the same without you guys! I just want to say thank-you for the great races u put on!

Comment

Free room and board, and the best fried chicken in the world!

Comment

Chew Your Corn

The late great John Riner Woods and his friend Hank Green used to give a high point trophy at Depue. It was 6 feet tall and went to the driver with the most points for the event.

1966 was my first year at DePue, and I met Johnny Woods for the first time. As we were eating our two ears for 50 cents corn, John reminded me to be sure and chew my corn. 44 years later, I never eat corn without reminding everyone to be sure and chew their corn.

In 1967, I was High Point driver at DePue, but Green and Woods didn't give a trophy...I forgave John later, but in '67 I was quite disappointed to get 5-2nds, 2 thirds and a first and not get the Green and Woods trophy...

As a native Calfornian, I LOVED TO WATCH DEPUE LIGHTNING. To this day, I feel DePue has the best lightning storms of anywhere in the world....and as an Arizona (NAU) graduate, we got some great lightening storms, especially in the summer.

DePue 2011 will be 50 years of racing at Lake DePue! When we had our 2007 Boat racer's Reunion we gave away $1,000 WORTH OF BEER AND $1,000 toward the TITLE SERIES Prize money fund. Both are worthy causes!

Comment

I'm using Zach's log in, this is his Old man "Dwight" Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 18.

My fav-or-right thing about DePue.
              You travel a 2000 plus miles going a through a butt load of different temperatures to get to De Pue. We are greeted by a butt load of freindly faces that need a trailer moved. You take that first step on the draw bar and swing your right leg over the seat. It's not just any seat butt a piece of tin formed to fit every seat (Butt) that comes apon it. So it's ignition on and hit the starter and the "M" comes to life. The Mickey Cup is loaded, and we're moven some trailers. Some to the water, some in the field, some just a bit closer to make some more room for their new neighbor. Then the testing ,the racers party, the racing, The Champions, The Champions that didn't get the win. There's, Holly buckets haulen the mail and it all gets there.

Then it's back on the M, the machine that makes it happen. To get the racers connected to there trailer and homeward bond they go.

We all win at DePue, PRO Nationals.

Team Tech
              Dwight Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 18

Comment

I have to admit that this may be a little bit biased since I was born and raised in DePue. DePue is the only place where the fans actually know the drivers in any particular class and have a pretty good idea of who the "top dogs" are. This is evident by all the wagering going on behind the fence. Many times I have been pulled aside by friends asking about Constantine results or who looks strong coming into the nationals. Particularly special and unique to a few of us, is the connection we have with family and friends here. Although it is difficult to find enough time to go around for family, local friends, and all the racing family, just having them all present is indescribable. The preparation that goes into this event is never ending. Being an "in the shadows" member of the Men's Club, I can attest to this. These people start planning for next year shortly after the beer wagon pulls away on Monday morning. No other place do locals and racers mingle like in DePue. Thanks to Steve Liztzell, I , like so many others, got to win a national title in DePue. I will always cherish that. I think we should all look back at our great times in DePue and anticipate many more. The reality is, without a major overhaul of this once beautiful lake, our days here are soon to be over. (sooner than you may think)

Comment

I like a lot of things...

...But coming early and having an ice cream social and a band concert in the pavillion on Thursday night, testing on Friday, and having a course where you can go as fast as you can possibly go on the weekend is good for me.

Comment

favorites

I can honestly say we look forward to the races each and every year. We are so thankful to have such great friends that we have made through boat racing. They have become more of a family to us and we have no idea what we would do without all of you!
                    It is quite amazing to be able to drink and only have to walk a block home... Thats a good part of the weekend for sure.

Is it racing season yet?!

P.S. I will never forget the time I met you Tommy... "O thats just Tommy, he will be ok" (as you were laying at the bottom of the steps.
                    Ab

Comment

I have been going to DePue since the late 1960's. I had a 15 year boat racing hiatus and was amazed to return to find it had not changed which is way cool in my opinion. My best friends and extended family are all in DePue and my Midwest vacation home (thanks Pal). I cannot imagine a boat racing season without a week in DePue sweating my .... off and drinking beer with Pal and cooking with Abbi!

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                      Tomtall 06

Comment

Sight lines

Coming from a fan , I would say the great view the spectators get. I have been to many race sites and DePue is a little unique in the fact that you sit above the lake and not even with the water. It really gives a full veiw of the race course and makes for great picture taking.

Comment

And, Racingfan1, your pictures are among the best I have seen over the years. I always look forward to the threads from you & your camera. I still look forward to a face to face meeting with you as I am not sure I really know who you are.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Pete and I will make it a point to introduce myself this year. I must admit that I am probably #3 in the PRO picture taking pecking order behind Teri and Jean , they have been at it alot longer than me and take some really great pictures !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X