Quincy Welding pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quincy Welding pipes?

I was hoping that someone might be able to verify something for me. I have attached two pictures of exhaust pipes for an A or B deflector Mercury. If my fading memory serves me correctly, these are Quincy Welding pipes from the early 60s. They are steel pipes and there are two water relief holes at the top of the plate & two in the front of the plate. All four holes are drilled on an angle to spray water on the pipes and elbows.

"Fading memory" is an accurate description. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I bought these pipes just the other day. There is no evidence that they were ever used. However, they are old. They are not TIG welded. The welding appears to be 'old school' (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just hoping that someone would recognize the manufacturer.

Thank you,

Barry Rees
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Heliarc; 01-26-2007, 04:10 PM.

They sure look like Quincy stacks to me.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Thank you, David.

Barry Rees

Comment

If those aren't Quincy pipes they are copied from Quincy, They are exactly like a set I ran on my old A-Mod back in the 70's. I am from Quincy and used to help out down at Quincy Welding as a teenager as much as Chris would let me.

Is that a Marchetti Hydro copy you are building in the picture?
        Last edited by Steve Crabtree; 01-27-2007, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crabtree View Post
          If those aren't Quincy pipes they are copied from Quincy, They are exactly like a set I ran on my old A-Mod back in the 70's. I am from Quincy and used to help out down at Quincy Welding as a teenager as much as Chris would let me.

Is that a Marchetti Hydro copy you are building in the picture?

Thanks for the feedback on the pipes, Steve. That must have been quite exciting working at Quincy Welding as a teenager. I remember them coming to a race in Region 3 in the mid 60's. I think it was Forked River, NJ if I remember correctly. Quite an impressive rig.

The boat is actually being built for me by my Dad (RichCraft) and has race-proven ideas incorporated into it, but is not a copy of any other boat. It is being built for AOMCI meets. Just seemed to me for AOMCI meets that a conventional (non-picklefork) hydro would be nice. Unlikely the boat will ever be raced unless there is A or B Classic Stock Hydro on a schedule somewhere close. Actually, I'll be happy if I can just make a pass or two around the lake at an AOMCI meet.

Barry Rees

Comment

worth anything?

Is there any demand out there for those old pipes? Obvioulsly, they'd be for a nostalgia motor.
            I have a set just like those. About 30 years ago, my dad had a set cadium plated. They look pretty cool with that shiny gold color. I don't think we ever had much luck getting them to perform, but they sure looked cool!
            I never knew they were Quincy pipes, 'till now.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
              Is there any demand out there for those old pipes? Obvioulsly, they'd be for a nostalgia motor.
              I have a set just like those. About 30 years ago, my dad had a set cadium plated. They look pretty cool with that shiny gold color. I don't think we ever had much luck getting them to perform, but they sure looked cool!

Yeah, I don't know if there is any demand, really. I personally had an interest in them because they are from way back then. They fit nicely into the AOMCI stuff that I am getting involved with. Sometime I would like to build or restore a Quincy A or B deflector engine. And these pipes are NOS. Pretty neat in that regard.

The later Quincy 2-into-1 converging steel pipes. I would love to have a set of those.
              Last edited by Heliarc; 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Duh?!!!

Hopefully? you'll go to to the Quincy Racing site , before we lose it, it's pretty hard to do stuff there , but phone # work.
                RichardKCMo
                RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post

Jeff, there is a demand for this sort of stuff, especially if you have the filler block to go with them.......
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Barry,
                    Do you need a filler block for them? I have an extra I can send with Pistons If you like...$50....Can do Pay-Pal and return / destroy check when it arrives---your call... may be at PO today.......

.....The converg'n stacks take a dif filler---like a Commode / conversion........

If you scale / measure from the pipe open'n to the cover you will see difference. twin pipes center over top drill hole in exh port.....single pipes locate over center drill hole like a commode......

pics below..........

19P SEEEEE YAAAAA...... in the first turn.....IN MY WAKE!!!!!
                    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 04-12-2007, 02:21 AM.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Barry
                      Those look like quincy pipes about as much as the boat in the background looks like a old C-stock Hydro named "WINGS" wow i must be getting old to remember that one,or maybe remembering RICH-CRAFT out of Pottstown,PA maybe my memory hasnt totally gone.
                      Tim Lee

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH View Post
                        Barry,
                        Do you need a filler block for them? I have an extra I can send with Pistons If you like...$50....Can do Pay-Pal and return / destroy check when it arrives---your call... may be at PO today.......

.....The converg'n stacks take a dif filler---like a Commode / conversion........

If you scale / measure from the pipe open'n to the cover you will see difference. twin pipes center over top drill hole in exh port.....single pipes locate over center drill hole like a commode......

pics below..........

19P SEEEEE YAAAAA...... in the first turn.....IN MY WAKE!!!!!
                        Hey, Steve.

I don't need a filler block. I'm good. Need a flywheel and tight case though.

See your email. We''l have to do the PayPal thing, I guess, for the pistons & rods.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by mr2boats View Post
                          Barry
                          Those look like quincy pipes about as much as the boat in the background looks like a old C-stock Hydro named "WINGS" wow i must be getting old to remember that one,or maybe remembering RICH-CRAFT out of Pottstown,PA maybe my memory hasnt totally gone.
                          Tim Lee
                          Hi Tim!

We are all getting older. Some of us are even feeling older.

Tired of lugging 4 cylinder stuff around. This boat is a B boat - except a bit longer than a regular Classic BSH. It's for the willing, but aging driver. Side by side, this boat might look like a smaller version of my old RichCraft C boat to the casual observer, but other than general appearance, the two have very little in common. Dad was nice enough to build it for me and he did a great job IMO. It's for AOMCI meets, actually. Unconverted 20H, 20H Conversion, KG-4H, Quincy Deflector A Alky, early 60's A Konig. That kind of ride. Unlikely that it will ever be raced, unless there is a Classic SO event that I can go to that isn't 900 miles away.

Is Denton's Tim Lee still actively involved with racing?

Comment

Barry
                            Actually i am still involved in racing with the inboards as we have a 2.5 stock,i guess you could say i could be charged with abandonment to the outboard category as some of my buddies have told me,what they dont realize is i have purchased some more outboard equipment and am still looking for some other parts as this year hopefully will be our last in the inboards and then we can go back where i belong with the outboard category.I hope all is well and by the way i am gonna join the aomci shortly as well.
                            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by mr2boats View Post
                              Barry
                              Actually i am still involved in racing with the inboards as we have a 2.5 stock,i guess you could say i could be charged with abandonment to the outboard category as some of my buddies have told me,what they dont realize is i have purchased some more outboard equipment and am still looking for some other parts as this year hopefully will be our last in the inboards and then we can go back where i belong with the outboard category.I hope all is well and by the way i am gonna join the aomci shortly as well.
                              Tim

Well then, let me extend an early 'welcome aboard', Tim. Be great to have you as an AOMCI member. I do not know how long it will take me to get my act together. The first wet meet that I might actually take my stuff to may very well be St. Michaels, MD on 06/14-15. If you are not doing anything else, maybe we'll see you there. Even if I'm not ready, I will ride down anyway without the equipment. While I'm there I just might tear into some seafood at The Crab Claw.
                              Last edited by Heliarc; 02-22-2007, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X