Tohatsu Cowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu Cowling

Having recently noted the technical rule change for the Tohatsu D I have added flotation to my cowling. As I am using the electric starter option, I have elected to remove the recoil starter, block the starter handle opening and pack the top inside cowling cavity with 2 inches of closed cell white "ethafoam". Having now run the motor, the flywheel just clears the foam. I then went to my local lake and with rope firmly attached tossed the cowling in the water. As it slowly filled with water it eventually turned over and bobbed on the surface ! Success ! And a note: one saved engine cowl will pay for the electric start option. Also as a side comment, I've built a digital electronic tach that also runs off 12 vdc starter battery. Let me know if anyone is interested in a tach kit ? Let's go Racing ! J Glen Wesanko

[QUOTE=glen wesanko;n443126]Having recently noted the technical rule change for the Tohatsu D I have added flotation to my cowling. As I am using the electric starter option, I have elected to remove the recoil starter, block the starter handle opening and pack the top inside cowling cavity with 2 inches of closed cell white "ethafoam". Having now run the motor, the flywheel just clears the foam. I then went to my local lake and with rope firmly attached tossed the cowling in the water. As it slowly filled with water it eventually turned over and bobbed on the surface ! Success ! And a note: one saved engine cowl will pay for the electric start option. Also as a side comment, I've built a digital electronic tach that also runs off 12 vdc starter battery. Let me know if anyone is interested in a tach kit ? Let's go Racing ! J Glen Wesanko [/QUOT

electric start is for wussies.......
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

And old guys........

Comment

And those with bad rotators..

Comment

It works great and the foam also makes the powerhead less noisy as well. I put in a Shorai lithium 12 v battery that is light as a feather ! Just push the button and go !

Comment

Can you add floatation and keep the recoil starter?

Comment

• kampenracing
              kampenracing commented
              Editing a comment
              We had flotation in our cowlings along with the recoil starter

Not sure if there is enough room anywhere inside the cowling with the recoil installed. I tried putting flotation in the back but didn't have enough room....

Comment

Originally posted by glen wesanko View Post
              And old guys........

and Canadians.....hahahaha..............

get in mind though, that a LOT of heat builds up under the cowls during race mode..............the motor needs lots of air for proper cooling...

don't forget the rubber hold downs that Alex sells, like the 44XS ones...............they are critical for saving cowlings...
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Wondering how confident you are that the foam will stay away from the flywheel... I've seen several fishing engines wrecked from sucking shredded cowling insulation thru the carbs, and those engines likely didn't get as much bouncing & shaking as your Tohatsu racer.

Comment

I tried (after losing cowling at a race) all sorts of flotation options for cowling....these things are pretty heavy and could get nothing to work. I wonder if a self inflating device from West Marine would work.....Dave

Comment

• kampenracing
                    kampenracing commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We use spray in foam in ours and it works well

Why not figure out why they are coming off fix that

Comment

Unfortunately although we have two additional rubber hold down straps and the original factory closure these cowlings being large still seem to come adrift when subjected to a "sudden stoppage" or other violent event. In stock form they will float for about 30 sec then sink. For those speculating what might work (Dave) please refer back to original post...........

Comment

I re read the original post....West Marine has a self inflating thing that might work for cowlings. Sometimes the side tie downs do not hold....when a D stock crashes it is usually pretty violent.

Comment

Working...
                      X