Y80 ignition points cam issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y80 ignition points cam issue

On the Y80 have any experienced the point cam cracking starting at the top where the key slot is ? The cam key slot was machined at the thinnest part of the cam so not much meat there, suppose that was a design flaw since the Yamato 102 moved the slot to the thicker part of the cam?
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

I've broken many a cam on both the Y-80 and 102. Tom Johnston (TJ) has them or at least had some.I got a 102 cam last year from him but don't have any idea about them for the Y-80. Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
      I've broken many a cam on both the Y-80 and 102. Tom Johnston (TJ) has them or at least had some.I got a 102 cam last year from him but don't have any idea about them for the Y-80. Jack
      Thanks for the reply.
      Any thoughts on why they crack at the key ? Where were your 102 cams cracking? Am I correct the 102 has the key slot in the thick part of the cam I know the Y80 does not and that's why I thought it was a design flaw with the key way in the thin area of the cam?
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Yes, they crack at the key slot. There are cams out there that have two key slots, one for y-80 and the other for the Y-102. They crack at the key way as you have noted that that is the weakest place. The Y-80 broken cams that I have broke at the key slot. The ones that have two slots are also cracked at the y-80 slot (the weak area).

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
          Yes, they crack at the key slot. There are cams out there that have two key slots, one for y-80 and the other for the Y-102. They crack at the key way as you have noted that that is the weakest place. The Y-80 broken cams that I have broke at the key slot. The ones that have two slots are also cracked at the y-80 slot (the weak area).
          Thank you, guess buying cams is a regular maintenance item.

Comment

Yea, the 80's are a bad design. That is why the 102 has the key way in the fat part of the cam. I found that many that cracked was because the key itself was exerting pressure on the cam. Solution one, make sure the key is flat. Solution two, rub the key on a stone and round the edges some, no sharp point.

Comment

Working...
            X