Lets Talk Epoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
    Doh, shoulda thoughta that, it makes immediate sense. In fact, it especially makes sense today, with the rather soft, punky, new growth boat wood that's available as compared to the gaboon and utile of 45 years ago. Probably a major reason to encapsulate today's wood with epoxy is the gallonage of sealer and varnish it would absorb if you didn't . . .

Thanks for your patience, Will. That's often what it takes to get through to the elderly.

Smitty, you nailed it there, it is difficult at best to locate and purchase a quality Okumme plywood in 3mm, 4mm, 5mm or 6mm. Sitka is eas enough but plywood..... better buy double what you need becasue you will find some bad sheets. Epoxy does not help you if the plys seperate.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Where do you get your Ocume from with bad sheets? I have used Ocume 3 and 6 mm sheets from World Panel in West Palm Beach with no issues.

Currently Noahs. Last batch had a couple bad sheets. Previously from a local source and just about all the sheets were bad.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

On our last 2 new boats we have used West on the build and coated the inside of the hulls and the back of the deck panels . On the deck , bottoms and topside wood I have gone with 2 part Auto clear . I can spray 2 coats , allow to kick . sand and spray 2 top coats- all in the same day - It would take a week to build 4 or 5 coats of varnish , Seems to be holding up well and repair or recoat is very easy and fast .. We have wrap ( over 2 coats of clear ) on 2 boats and it seems like the best solution for a fast job and easy repair - plus no UV problems.

Comment

Thanks. Dave, but the only part I nailed was about the elderly. The wood gets stapled.

Comment

Working...
        X