merc 44 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great site

thanks for the info. great site. i feel like i missed my opportunity because i spent $1800 to put my 4 cyl back to stock, and i could have spent a little more and got some performance increases.

thanks again

Comment

exhaust baffle plate

crank,

i have a 92 4 cyl 44 ci merc that has been bored 15 over. did the bore have any affect on port size and height?

thanks
      outboardjetboater

Comment

It shouldn't effect the port timing at all. The wrist pin location on the piston is adjusted for this very concern.

It was thought in some circles that you had to bore a block 30 over to get it go but we never found this true with a D. I think this was more so for the old KG-4 and 30H.

Tim
        Tim Weber

Comment

port height

Hi,

Tims right, it should not effect your ports at all - BUT - I think I know what you are talking about the later 4 cyl blocks after 1990 I believe were lifted .050" on the exhaust side. These are not legal for DSH anyhow.. They should be I think that it would be the same in the rule book as the 55 - 55H block difference..

What skirt clearance did you leave and what pistons are you running.

Regards,
          Dave Scott
          Aim Marine Inc.
          613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
          Ottawa, Canada
          http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
          DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

pistons were american marine 3-ring. skirt clearance, i don't know. the rebuild was done by local merc mechanic. i wanted to add some horsepower, but nobody around here said that it could be done.

Comment

Added Power

Too late, but the two-ring pistons would have been a noticeable improvement!
              Fred Hauenstein

Comment

yes 2 ring

Fred is correct you would have noticed a lot with the two ring pistons change. Wiseco would have also been an alternative. I hope your mechanic at least loosened things up a little around the crank..

Regards,
                Dave Scott
                Aim Marine Inc.
                613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                Ottawa, Canada
                http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
                DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

i asked about wiseco and he said they were great for high performance, but had no longevity. anyone have experinece with this.

Comment

I thought from the national meeting we only approved aftermarket pistons from Sierra and Vertex. I thought Weisco was not approved for some reason. Dave Scott or Mark Wheeler can probably correct me if I am wrong. Just looked it up and that was what we approved. I know Weisco makes pistons for the 44xs but maybee its just the oversized pistons that need to be Sierra or Vertex brands. Mike
                    mike ross

Comment

This is a stock rule for the 44xs and if your doing a d mod then the pistons might be interchangsable.
                      mike ross

Comment

Mike,

The SORC approved Vertex and Sierra pistons for the merc 44XS. These pistons, and Wisco, are fine for D mod.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X