OMC A carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC A carb question

In going through our OMC A engine this winter I found that the carb had a #56 jet. The old, broken carb had a #54 jet. Those are the only 2 sizes available from the dealer. Any concensus on which one to run?

Omc a

We run .056 jet....................

Comment

OMC Carb Jet

We always ran .056 jet. Performed well anywhere.

Don Graham

Comment

It depends on your fuel mix.
        53w

Comment

Originally posted by 53-W View Post
          53w
          ...elaborate...

Comment

More than fuel mix...

Originally posted by 53-W View Post
            53w
            Not to further obfuscate matters, but I have been told by those much smarter than myself that altitude and relative air humidity should also be determining factors as to which jet to run for optimum performance.
            Michael J. Mackey
            Lola Boatwerks Factory Foreman
            Pavlick Race Boats Factory Driver
            Yamato Aficionado
            21-V

Comment

About twenty years ago, I had experimented with all the jets which at the time were .052 to .060 I think. I had some success with using the .054, .056 and .058 on a stock J and A and the .056, .058 and .060 on a formula A. The .056 was the best all around jet. The others could be a bit faster when the conditions were right for them, but when I guessed wrong I lost a lot. I eventually went back to just the .056 for stock and .058 for a ported formula A.

Bill Rosado

Comment

OMC A Carb

Great explantion Bill Rosado. I agree with your thought process as we did the same except on the STOCK only. .056 jet worked best for us overall and could be raced anywhere in the country with good results.

Sincerely,
                Don Graham

Comment

fuel mix

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
                  ...elaborate...
                  If you run a lot of oil you need a larger jet because there is less actual fuel
                  in a given amount. Very simple.

Ex "A" racer.

Comment

These are all great answers. It sounds like 56 is the all around answer with 54 for the hot high density altitude races.

Any favorites on spark plugs???

Comment

54?

Don't use it.
                      Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

OMC J Version..................

Originally posted by BP125V View Post
                        Don't use it.
                        We experimented with the .054 on the OMC with the restrictor plate for J and found it was way off!!............same with the unrestricted version.

The OMC in my experience is a forgiving carb...........run your fuel mixture 24 to 1 with the .056 jet and rock on!!

Have fun...........

Comment

Originally posted by champhotrod View Post
                          If you run a lot of oil you need a larger jet because there is less actual fuel
                          in a given amount. Very simple.

Ex "A" racer.
                          What's a lot of oil (10:1-12:1 like I run in my 25XS)? I've tried mainly 25:1-32:1 with good results, any more than that and it's a slimey mess in the exhaust with no performance improvement. And I also have tried other jets, always going back to the .056

Comment

I'm have trouble getting my A omc to run. I thought it was a fuel pump and put a new one on. Still would not run, like no gas getting to the carb. Today, I put a new set and needle in the carb. but it still died after priming. Am I a bad mechanic are what? Getting the carb off is a real treat the first time, have visions of the recoil going Bong....

Comment

Put a nut on the threaded end of the long bolt that goes thru the recoil. Boing is BAD

Comment

Working...
                              X