Wondering about valuation of these pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about valuation of these pieces

I have four old style (Gen 2, I'd call them) Konig lower units, the kind with the square exhaust outlet cast integrally with the lower unit, and with the water pickup hole(s) just below the pointy end of the gearcase (rather than right on the pointy end, as with the Gen 1 style).

Two are the A/B size, with 12:15 gears. Two are the C/D size, with 15:16 gears. All are used, have some heats on them, but are complete and raceable.

The question is, should these be raced, or is their value to collectors such that they can be sold and replaced at similar cost with more recent, but used, gearcases. I have no clue as to the value of the old racing gear, and so many ads offering for sale refuse to include a price that the seller would accept, and maybe say, "Serious buyers/collectors only."

For the time being, and until I learn more, these lower units are not for sale.

Don't know....

Have not seen any one racing one of these in years. Old outboard collectors are on the "thrifty" side.....

Maybe $200 each

??????????

Michael D-1

Comment

These are hard to repair if you can find gears for them. I have one on a 250 Quincy Looper on display. I will not run it for fear of blowing it up. I use to run one on a "B" Looper and later on a FA Konig. Went to newer style so I could repair them. There should be a market for them to the Konig collectors.

Comment

Put them on ebay with a stupid high reserve and see what kind of interest they generate.
        kk

Comment

Originally posted by krazy karl View Post
          Put them on ebay with a stupid high reserve and see what kind of interest they generate.
          kk
          Watch the reserve, it cost a lot to list with the reserve. Best way is a buy now as there is no listing fee.

Comment

units

These units have little value as they are only for collectors. Bearings for these were discontinued in the 70's and gears were change as well. Zero parts for these. Steve

Comment

Thank you for the information, gentlemen. Since they aren't worth much, I'll keep them for my own purposes. Probably I shouldn't be surprised that they have entirely disappeared from the races, but in Reg. 10 these units were used not only with the Konigs they came on but were used under the better Anzanis and some 2-cyliinder loopers as well, with homemade pipe towerhousings. That cast-in exhaust alway looked sort of dorky on an alky motor, but the units served their purpose well.

Again, not selling, and again, thanks.
              Last edited by Smitty; 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X