Dsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dt 01 View Post
    I'm looking to come back to outboards . WTB a race ready tohatsu anyone have one for sale? Thanks for any info. I'm in reg 10
    Welcome back Dave! DSH and DMH is a great place to return to!

Comment

Motor

Daren sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
        My first motor, which now belongs to Ron Magnuson, had a few things done to it. I had just the top journal welded. My second motor was purchased from Ric Keller...it ran identical speeds with first motor....and it had the second journal only welded. I took a bad hop at Eatonville...lower unit came out of the water at full throttle etc. I found after that that I had lost quite a lot of speed. Had Steve Benson mic everything out....the crank was all twisted out of shape...nothing he can't fix. I wonder if new Tohatsu owners should have all three journals tack welded? Just curious. Dave
        When you take the motor apart to weld the crank, why wouldn't you just do all three journals while you have it apart?
        I welded all three journals on my first one right from the get go. Once I learned how it liked to be started cold, I had absolutely NO issues with the motor... None for years.
        My second brand new one (thanks Alex) got about 30minutes break in time, and then I raced the mutha! (Against manufacturer recommendations haha) No issues, no worries. I'll pull the motor down this winter and weld all three journals just like my first one.

Comment

welding crank

I was advised that crank only needed to have the top journal welded. Steve Benson (my engine guy) and I have decided that if he can get crank back straight etc. that all three journals will be welded up. I learn something new every day it seems. Dave

Comment

Darren's motor

5000 for a complete Tohatsu is a good price.....I would jump on that Dave. Darren builds a good motor, and with the D mod Hemp you have you could be fast right out of the box. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
              I was advised that crank only needed to have the top journal welded. Steve Benson (my engine guy) and I have decided that if he can get crank back straight etc. that all three journals will be welded up. I learn something new every day it seems. Dave
              don't know why someone would just weld the top journal (other than the heavy weight of the crank on that journal).............think about the rotating forces and twisting happening on the other 2 sections also and keeping them INDEXED..........especially when the motor gets overloaded, either by sheering a pin or in the event it does get submerged....just my thoughts....
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Welding

Dunno...I am not an engine builder...I just build my own boats. I always thought that all 3 should be welded....but was told that was not needed. Ya....when the d tohatsu comes unloaded lots of bad things can happen which I am now finding out. Bleech. At least the weather is warm in Hawaii while I figure everything out. Dave

Comment

Gardner Racing Concepts (GRC), Ellsworth Maine, tack-welds all the pins after truing the crank. The tacks are nicely done and can be flushed off in the unlikely event that the crank needs to be disassembled. The charge for this is $125.

His shop is about a hundred miles up the coast from me. He specializes in competition crank work. If I have a Tohatsu race motor apart I put the crank in a specially made box and ship it up there UPS ($18 each way). Turn-around time is a couple days unless you need it sooner.... Stanley Gardner, (207) 664-0377.

Alex

Comment

Crank

Steve Benson has my motor along with the crank....when he gets everything correct on it he is going to wed all three journals, Dave

Comment

Dsh

Steve Benson is top a notch engine builder and machinist. He has all the tools and knows how to use them.

Comment

Benson

Yep...I know. My D stock career is in his hands right now. Dave. Lee....call me when u get a chance. 425 246 4710

Comment

Working...
                        X