Mint Merc 10xs on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint Merc 10xs on eBay

The description states it has never been raced and it is currnetly in show case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    Ken Kaiser
    Racing Member, Columbia Outboard Racing Association

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced"
    Frank Zappa

Wow ! thats not mint condition but one step better then mint ! Showroom ! what class would a 10XS be legal in ? nice motor all the same.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

No legal class to race the 10xs in. Merc made about 100 of them and scrapped 75 due to APBA not approving the motor. It is a stock 10hp fishing motor on a 25xs tower and lower.

Here is a old Merc P/R ad that never made it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is this motor the same engine that appeared in the "J" class in the mid eighties? We used to call them 7.5's. I know there were not many of those made and were about this size.
        Joe Silvestri
        CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
        JH/JR

Comment

No, there was another motor that was the 7.5J

Comment

The original intent of the 10XS

to the best of my recollection, was to be a stepping stone between J and A, thing was that it wasn't needed and everyone soon figured that out and they(along with the idea) were scrapped.

Comment

10xs

I believe that the Merc 10xs was a legal JPRO engine for awhile, but then the OMC became the motor of choice and the Merc was out the door.

Comment

Six days left and already going for over $1600 this might be an all time record high sale. Anyone know what the motor sold for brand new ? How high will someone go to own this toy ?
                HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Back in the day.............

I believe this motor was introduced to the SORC in the Merc Challenge days of the mid 1980's and was Mercury's attempt to outduel OMC for control of the J and possibly the A class.
                  I believe the commission saw the light and told Mercury the 25xs and 44xs were enough for now............
                  As it turned out it was a great call by the SORC who were having the major outboard manufactures throwing new motors at em left and right during those boom years. What a nice problem to have............

Dan.........A new 25xs in 1987 was $1700 and a 44xs was $2000 from the factory ready to go !!
                  Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 12-29-2004, 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding Info

Comment

Ah... $4176 with 9 hrs left and it's still not hit the reserve yet! Wow! Cool! So... Dad is in Florida for the winter... what's it take to convert a 25XS to this model??? LOL
                    Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 01-04-2005, 07:08 AM.
                    Fralick Racing
                    Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Rare! There was one 15XS made. I helped Ed Hearn test it, was a dog. The cowl had 10SX on it, we took the 0 off and made a 5 with some pinstriping tape.
                      Doc Collins was promoting J Pro. He had a trailer load of boats & 10SX motors. The class ran a lot in Region 11. The motors could be modified "under the hood". Saw one with a detachable head!
                      A number of the motors are now owned by a father of an unlimited driver in Washington. Remember when any bolt-on mods were allowed to the Merc A motor, to try to make it competitive? He had a lot of 10SX parts bolted on one.

Comment

Matts first ride was J Pro. We bought it from Doc Collins. At that time R J West was the guy to beat. Matt was growing so I had Lon Stevens work on it. That was the one with the detachable head. the Heads were padded and what looked like a detachable head was just reenforcement. Anyway. the motor blew up on the Dyno a week before the Pro Nationals. So we went to the nationals with a stock motor. Then Doc asked Matt to drive the boat I build for Doc and using the #4 10sx Factory Merc. Well, testing Matt was showing 57 mph. with that Doc said lets put it away till race day. On race day Matt won the the first and second heat going away. and got second the third heat as he went into the first turn last and passed them all on the outside.
                        later, Lon rebuilt it and i traded it to Tom Goldstone for a OMC A. Last i saw of the motor was at Lons under a work bench along some other Merc 10sx's.
                        Doc had 4 or 5 20sx motors and the Sorensen kit boat that i built. Wonder what ever happed to that equip after Doc Passed away?
                        bill b

Comment

I was away from racing when this all went about but the way I look at if a manufacture makes a racing motor you dam well find a place for it as if they have to scrap them they sure wont rush to make anymore for us that said look how many racing motors have Mercury made for us since then so who was the winner in the deal.
                          Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

No winner bidding over
                            HTML Code:

Comment

10XS What's it worth?

Originally posted by Admin
                              No winner bidding over
                              The last bidder was looking for reserve and didn't find it so bidding stopped (reserve too high???). If it was (reserve) over $5,000.00 I would doubt any wanted it (except the seller). Also I doubt he really found out what it may be "worth". But it was an interesting excercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X