Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear lube

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
    I run a set of one to one gears for my Tohatsu D stock...just checked them, and they look brand new. I am running Mercury lower unit lube...should I think about changing to a synthetic blend? I think I have around 80 heats on them. Any help would be appreciated, David
    Just for reference what Merc gear lube are you using? They make Premium Plus and High Performance Gear Lube + (Plus). The latter is what the Merc formula 1 boys use. However what ever Merc lube you are using seems to be just great.
    Last edited by ZUL8TR; 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
      Just for reference what Merc gear lube are you using? They make Premium Plus and High Performance Gear Lube + (Plus). The latter is what the Merc formula 1 boys use. However what ever Merc lube you are using seems to be just great.
      I would have to agree why mess with success.. I also use High Performance Plus and have never had a problem yet.. And definitely not this year since I have not made it out for a heat yet
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Shop locally, think globally

Something to consider here. Sid Bass has produced some of the best equipment we could ask for. Basically, if you have really MAINTAINED your Bass gearfoot you have nothing to complain about. They are tough!!

Some lubricants may not be good for your gearfoot. Some lubes are too slippery and the small bearings under high loads SKID instead of rolling. Remember, we are not dealing with third-member center sections in NASCAR. This discussion could go on for ever. I will just say that I use Mercury Hi-Performance gear lube and it seems to work very well. I will admit that there are some other gear lubes out there that might work better, offering less rotational drag. Experiment at your own expense. But, please do not lose faith in Bass Machines.

Let me suggest that we buy our gearfoot needs from Sid Bass. We need to keep him in business. The relatively LOW volume of business we (NBRA AOF, APBA) represent is barely enough to keep anyone afloat. Bass Machines is a treasure we are fortunate to have with us. Give him a call 360-373-3839.... tell him the Mad Russian sent you.

Alex
        "shop locally, think globally'

Comment

Working...
        X