Y-80 lower unit maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-80 lower unit maintenance.

OK so I have zero experience with outboards.....there, I admitted it. Expert advice needed on any lower unit maintenance I should be doing over the winter to be ready for the 2021 season. Actually any Y-80 maintenance at all would be great. Thank you in advance.

Dave Cofone

drain the lower unit and clean it with wd40. that way there there will be no water in it to freeze up. one year i just put oill in it and both mine froze up and split the case. stay safe and hope to see you in 2021!

frank novotny
    52-E

Comment

• Dave Cofone
      Dave Cofone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Frank. Good advice but I do keep my engine in the basement during the winter. Even so this couldn't hurt and will help me get acquainted with the mechanics of it. Looking forward to seeing you in 2021.

For long periods of no use I always fog oil the cylinders, remove plugs spray in and rope over a number of times. To rope over with out plugs grounded I cross short the safety kill wires, coils like to go to ground plugs out they do not. Just a habit from the CD 25ss engine that I do that with to protect the ignition that needs ground. Can also fog thru the carb before rope over with throttle open full.

"Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Larry M
      Larry M commented
      Editing a comment
      I did about the same thing spinning a 4 cyl mag on a test stand. The plugs were not grounded and it burned up the coil.
Working...
X