I'm out of time, any ideas...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm out of time, any ideas...?

Hello all, Millville is next weekend and I am all but out of time. I have my brand new snell 2015 SIMPSON helmet. I had to order it in white because it did not come in orange. I can't even order the orange Autoborne paint in time so what can I do to be legal...? I thought of just covering it in orange duct tape or vinyl. Any idea's.......?

Borrow a legal helmet at Millville. Worry about painting later.

Comment

Orange duct tape will be fine.

Comment

Go to Menard's and buy fluorescent orange spray paint and have fun racing!

Comment

Don't ruin a brand new helmet. Take a deep breath and order a vinyl wrap kit online and then wrap your helmet. My Brother did that to his last year and looks great and still holds up. Said it only took a night or two (once he figured it out).
          Brian 10s

Comment

The thing with the vinyl wrap is it may be permanent like paint. If you try to take it off later it may leave the adhesive on the helmet and that would be difficult to get off. Now a word of caution on painting helmets. I don’t know your background, maybe you know what you are doing and so your good to go. If not you’d better make sure you have the right paint and have someone who knows what they are doing do it. For instance Arai lays out exactly what paint you can use on their helmets and any deviation will void the warranty and may affect the integrity of the helmet. Your Simpson is not a cheap helmet so think carefully before you procede.

Comment

No one will have an issue with bright orange duct tape. It will buy you some time.

Comment

Here's another possibility which has not been mentioned. The helmet color rule can be found here:

https://apba.org/documents/371230888...R%203.5.19.pdf

which states:

"The upper fifty percent (50%) of the helmet must be a single color of the following: yellow or fluorescent (high visibility) yellow or lime green or orange or international orange or fluorescent red."

So it's not just one color that is acceptable, but many. Surely you can find one of these colors locally. My suggestion is to do the best, easiest tape job you can for the top 50% of the helmet with the least number of coats of paint possible for the color to appear "solid". Avoid the tedious part by taping away from the edges. Although I agree with the statement about not ruining a new helmet, it only has to be good enough until you circle back to do it better.

Want an official answer? Ed Runne is listed as the inspector on the official Millville NJ race sanction. He will be easy to find at the race site. Present your temporarily painted helmet to him and ask for approval. Inspectors >>want<< to approve racers. He'll probably laugh and tell you it's better than half of the painted helmets currently being used. But bring your can of paint and tape in case he has a "suggestion".
                @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
                72@E
                Former Boat Racer
                21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
                20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

All great comments, I think I'm just going to go with orange duct or electrical tape for Millville and do a proper paint job after. I'm using Createx Autoborne sealer for the base. Autoborne is water cased automotive paint so it won't etch the surface of the helmet shell. I plan to also paint the boat with Createx colors as well.........Thanks for the help.....

Comment

Just a thought. Cover with painter's tape first,then duct tape.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                      Dave Cofone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hadn't thought of that, excellent idea, thanks....

Dave, to piggyback on what everyone has already said, take a deep breath APBA Stock Mod & Pro racing is all family. Take everything you have and prepare to have a fun weekend. Deep breath, seriously you will be just fine.
                    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and positive attitude. It is very helpful to hear everyone responding to my (probably) over stressful doubts that I will actually get to drive this weekend. It is reassuring to know I have found a sport with so many strangers willing to help me out. I am very grateful and per chance if I don't get to drive I will still be there to help in any way I can. It will be fun just to be involved, to what ever extent possible....Dave....breathing deeply......

Comment

Dave. Do you have apba #s yet? if not i can print them and bring them saturday morning.
                        spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                          Dave Cofone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks AJ, but I will be running this race as X. I have something I want to do with the numbers but if I run out of time again I'll be knocking on your door. Do you do white numbers on black background.....? Are the numbers printed on vinyl or is it vinyl on vinyl....?
                          Last edited by Dave Cofone; 04-24-2019, 09:04 AM.

Probably not a lot of help now, but Simpson does paint some helmets orange. If you google Orange Simpson helmets you will find the sources selling them. I just purchased an Orange Simpson Super Bandit Medium through Jeggs and got it in a week. I don't understand why they don't list them on their own sight.
                        Last edited by csh12M; 04-26-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                          Dave Cofone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, too late.....BUT I did a masterful job with orange electrical tape. I plan to leave it that way until my white X is no longer needed then paint it orange with a gold or aluminum leaf the bottom stripe.......
                      Working...
                      X