Windshield material.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield material.

Is there a 'go to' place where you all go to get windshield plastic...? Also I don't see anywhere in the rules that they have to be clear and since I don't think I can even get that low in the boat I will never be looking through it. Thoughts.....?

there is no rule that it has to be clear. I use 1/16" lexan. you can get tinted lexan from Ebay.

Comment

CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate) aka Uvex® also works well.

Bill

Comment

• Team B&H
        Team B&H commented
        Editing a comment
        And comes in colors but is not as durable as polycarbonate

McMaster Carr

Comment

The generic name for Lexan is Polycarbonate. Lexan was invented by a scientist who worked for General Electric. Also available at Tap Plastics. It is totally clear with no distortion.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thanks, this is really helpful......

Comment

I haven’t been able to find a source for colored polycarbonate (except smoke). Would be nice to have the option of colors...

Comment

Home Depot / Lowes has clear and sometimes smoke.
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

FYI - Bayer MaterialScience (a German-based company also now known as Covestro) makes a polycarbonate material equivalent to Lexan called Makrolon. It's been much easier to source locally (central Ohio) than Lexan.

GE, which originally invented Lexan, sold their plastics division to a Saudi Arabian company called SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corp) in 2007. My local supplier told me they had to shift to selling Bayer Makrolon because SABIC's product was distributed with Arabic writing on the protective barrier. With world events (far larger than the politics of boat racing) of the past several years local buyers were asking for alternatives to the Saudi product...

so - look for Makrolon as an acceptable polycarb too...
                Last edited by bmitch1; 04-15-2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X