Boat carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat carts

Question number six thousand two hundred and eighty two.......or at least it feels like it. I am not aware if there is anyone who manufactures boat carts for my hydro but if there is, does it makes sense to buy one or make one...? I once made a cart for one of my kayaks only to find out I could have purchased one for less than it cost me to make NOT including labor......

What I did a few years ago was drew up a basic design and then went to a local place that makes railings and hand rails. I had a idea of what material I needed and he let me look through his good stuff scrap bin and I figured out would work for me and put it in a pile then he gave me a price. This was all Aluminum. Then I went to a small engine repair shop and got an axle and wheels from a snow blower. Went home and put it together, made it in sections so that I could take it apart if needed for storage or transportation. Worked great except the fun comes from the wheels I chose, makes it nice to roll over stuff, but they float the trailer really well. Even had a extra end for a trailer that I mounted on the front so that it could be pulled by a tractor if needed. The center beam comes apart in 3 pieces

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      You could drill a bunch of 1/2" holes along the frame to fill with water to help sink it. Did that with my alum tote that had 8" rim diameter tires that float and it helped a lot but still could be better, might just fill the tires with water and some rust preventive ;-)

Thanks. The frame is open box. I had thought about using antifreeze in the tires, but the other idea is just to have a weight to hang over the cross frame. Filling the tires will keep them heavy. stuffing some lead in the frame at the back and locking it in with a bolt through the frame will also work. But for now I always have someone there helping, so they push it down for the boat to slide over then the floating part keeps the cart up against the bottom, so as you pull it up everything stays in place better.

Comment

dave, where are you located?

frank novotny
      52-E

Comment

• ajennings4p
        ajennings4p commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank, dave is in NJ

• Dave Cofone
        Dave Cofone commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in NJ....

Use the solid tires from Harbor Freight not the pneumatic ones with air..... it will help it to sink. But there are people here who make carts. They should be contacting you here. If you make your own, design it to come apart so it stores smaller in the trailer.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I make take apart Aluminum Carts. PM me and I can make you what you need. I also make Aluminum Fuel tanks too.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
          Dave Cofone commented
          Editing a comment
          PM sent....

How about using Golf Cart wheels.....walking golf carts.......

Comment

Hi Dave,

Just my opinion - I use wheelbarrow tires/wheels from Menards. Yes they float, but they do good job going over a variety of terrain which you will inevitably encounter carting your boat to and from the water.

Bill

Comment

• spud62w
            spud62w commented
            Editing a comment
            The foam filled ones from Harbor Freight are heavy and will help it sink. Better than no air in the tires on the wheelbarrow ones

dave i sent you a pm.

frank novotny
          52-E

Comment

• Dave Cofone
            Dave Cofone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Frank, response sent....

Just a comment..... Walking golf cart wheels might not have strength for a boat and motor.... you would have to check out their structural properties. Get one that you know has been used for boat racing before.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Dave Cofone
            Dave Cofone commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a valid point.....

I would simply get one from someone that has built them before... like Spud.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I suppose it’s all about where you end up putting the boat in and out when it comes to wheel tire combo. For me in our part of the Willamette, I sometimes wish for wider than the few inch wide ones that I’ve got already. Certain times of year, when the river gets low, it’s a slippery and silty slope that’ll drop off quickly. I’ve actually been stuck for an hour or two into the night waiting for the water to come up to be able to muscle it and the boat up the quick sand. I’ve actually implemented the use of a anchor buoy into the axle since to insure it doesn’t dig in or teeter.
            Of course most places aren’t quite so humbling.
            Truth be told, I’ve even been thinking about a Harbor Fright winch with remote and all, just because it’s cheap. It has nothing to do with my physique or laziness whatsoever!😉Smarter, not harder.....

Comment

We had seven steel carts, but the weight of all the carts was alittle over the top. We had new carts made with aluminum. The important factor was that all the parts( each had 3 parts) had to be intro changeable. The wheels will go flat, but with a intertube this is least likable and the non air tires will work as well. I like that the tires float, weighted carts are very heavy. I am a big fan of carts that go together quickly and easy.

Comment

Boat Carts,
                Hydro Boat Carts,
                What kind of Tires like hydro boat carts,
                Fat tires, skinny tires, tires that climb on rocks,
                Tough tires, sissy tires, even tires that float on top
                Love boat carts, hydro boat carts
                The cart tires love to tote

Comment

Very clever!
                  "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Working...
                  X