Where to find used equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find used equipment.

So where is the big Christmas catalog of used boats, engines and related equipment.....? Exactly where does a new comer find their first rig.....? It seems that it is a waiting game, until a boat, motor and trailer come along. Is the sport growing that fast that all the good used stuff is getting bought up? If I want to go 300ssh I already am in for a new engine, I don't know if I can spend a big chunk all at once to get into another hobby. If there is a secret to this let me in, if not I guess I'll wait my turn on line......

Dave,

The boat that you were going to take for a ride at Millville is for sale. The club (DVORA) bought it from Dave Breisacher as a racing school boat but the idea was that it would be for sale for anyone that wanted to get into it. Dave is buying a new boat. If you are interested, please give me a call (609-234-3450) or shoot me an email (csr311j@gmail.com). It is a Runnecraft boat (black and red currently) and will be getting a brand new paint job over the winter.

If you are looking for a trailer, Mike Flockerzi from Western PA has an open one available. Justin Ivie has a large enclosed one available.

I am happy to help you find whatever you need to get you going.

Look forward to speaking with you.
    Shawn Breisacher

Comment

Dave,

Your Christmas present could be as close as Region1. Here in New England we have two complete 300 rigs for sale and ready to race. Please go to the SSOA web site at southshoreoutboard.com click on Swap Shop, and look at the 2 ads. Both are very good O’Connor hydros and one has a sealed Yamato 321, the other a fresh 302. Just repaint with your color scheme, add APBA numbers and you are ready to rock! We have a very healthy 300SSH class here in the Northeast with plenty of help available to new drivers. I have helped with both these rigs. One is for sale because of a new family and the other because of college. They are both competitive rigs and good equipment. Contact information is in the ads. Best of luck with your Boat Racing adventure.

Comment

Dave,
        The best thing to do is work with your local club and racers to help find good used equipment.
        Shawn and Proput (I think that's Bruce N?) will help you out. They will ensure you get good equipment at a good price.
        Like everything else, it's easy to over think it and not get off center. I'd encourage you to work with these 2 guys. They (and their families) have been racing for many years. They will get you started on the right foot and also help you along the way.
        Best of luck!
        - Mike

Comment

Dave, we have a 1/3 boat open trailer that will need to redone can be redone in a number of ways. has good solid box to it, but will need a new floor, however it is free to a new racer.

as far as used equipment I woudl check with Bruce N(propnut) or Shawn for if you want to go with the 300ss route.
          spider pig, spider pig, spider pig does what'ever a spider pig does.

Comment

Dave,
            If your looking for a open trailer I have what you need. I put alot of thought into when I built it. Axle, hubs, lights and fenders has 3 races ,wheels and tires has about 10 races on them. I feel confident Region 3 guys will vouch for it. $1250.00 you won't build one for anywhere near that. If interested text me 814-758-3246

Comment

Dave,two racers have already put you onto some good equipment.Bruce and Shawn are very well respected racers,they will put you in contact with the right people.Now to early spring are excellent times to find used equipment.Keep tuned to this forum,more good deals will show up.I know the equipment Bruce and Shawn are talking about,good used boats and motors.

Comment

Dave,
                As hard as it might be don't get discouraged I was exactly where you where 2 years ago. I went to the drivers school had a C hydro a month later but then it took me almost 6 months to come up with a engine. If you where interested in CSR I could fix you up with a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatiron View Post
                  Dave,
                  As hard as it might be don't get discouraged I was exactly where you where 2 years ago. I went to the drivers school had a C hydro a month later but then it took me almost 6 months to come up with a engine. If you where interested in CSR I could fix you up with a boat.
                  I thanks all of you for your input. At this point I am getting burned out on searching for an affordable rig. I think I am going to take a breathe and step back. If a deal falls my way I can jump in but from what I am learning this may just be more hassle than fun. Thanks again for your time, effort and patience.....

Comment

Dave,
                    How much are you looking to spend on a complete rig?

- Mike

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                      Dave Cofone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well when I started to consider Stock Outboard I was hearing numbers like $2500-3000.00 for a used boat and motor. I figured I would build my own trailer and try it out for a season to see if I liked it. Now those numbers are moving skyward to the point where it is more like $5-8000.00 plus. Those numbers put me right back into inboard vintage so that is where I am. Everything is on the table for me. But no I would not even consider spending that on used stuff just to see if I like the sport......

• DiGia54D
                      DiGia54D commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dave, there are numerous used stock rigs under 4k. Just keep looking until one is posted. You can get a Pro rig used for under 8k....lol

Thanks Dave,
                    Racers are typically very generous and very helpful in getting people in boats. Don't worry about buying anything yet. Work with Shawn and Bruce and your local Club(s) to borrow a boat and test it. Take the time to try it, and see if you like it. Then your local Club/racers can help you find good, used, equipment to meet your budget.
                    We've seen some $2500-$3k rigs recently, but it's always best to try it before you buy.
                    Best of luck!
                    - Mike

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                      Dave Cofone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think what is throwing me off is the push to get into 300ssh.....this requires a brand new engine.....There has been no talk of B, 20ssh probably because of my weight. On the other hand I'm not interested in mixing it up with the top three in a heat. I'm just looking for some fun on the water.....You know in Vintage inboard you don't even race......you basically put on a show and often that show can exceed 100 mph but at no time can you compete with one another........just fun on the water. This is how I am looking at SO......

• Mike29J
                      Mike29J commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with what is said here. Work with Shawn and Bruce. You are in NJ, which is region 3. I'm located just north of you in Wayne, NJ. We have a great boat for the drivers school that you can take for a ride and buy if you like the class (300 SSH). Besides the region 1 & 3 boats offered there are usually complete rigs for sale throughout the year. Welcome to stock outboard, you will love it.

Dave, nothing wrong with simply going out simply for the fun. That's pretty much what I've done for the last 4 years. You can find a complete rig in the $2500-$3000 range, but chances are it might not be competitive, or you might need to do a little work on it.

Also keep in mind you need kevlars, helmet, etc (unless you already have that...does vintage wear kevlars?).

I paid $2500 for my boat and a Yamato 102 (which I am still running today). Yeah, it's ugly, no it isn't competitive with the top guys (but I did win my first "non-rookie" C race in Berwick back in 2016)...but I have a hell of a good time driving it and talking **** with everyone :-)

I got the trailer for free (from the guy I bought the boat from). Was a rust bucket and I did put a few hundred into it fixing it up. Overall (other than my kevlars, helmet and jacket) I was race ready for under $3,000.

The downside to trying to stay in that price bracket is time. It's might take a little while to find such a rig.

Still, if you've done the driver school and you really want to race, someone, somewhere will get you in a boat for some races so you can get a better idea if it is something you really want to do. Hell, because of Dave Deck's committment to the sport and his generosity, I raced my entire first year using one of his boats.

Just stay positive, don't worry so much about $$$ right now (you've already got an idea about that), just get to some races and get some heats under your belt. The rig will come.

The truth is, you COULD spend some serious money if you wanted to, but if fun is your gig, it's not necessary.
                    Dane Lance
                    700-P
                    CSH/500Mod

Comment

• Dave Cofone
                      Dave Cofone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No Kevlars in Vintage but you do have to have a racing suit, shoes and helmet all of which cost about the same as a set of kevlars....Don't forget that there are also vintage outboards at these events.....as long as they can be crane launched......

Dave,
                    While 300 is a great class it is not the only class available and it might not be the best class for you personally. Depending on where you are located and how big you are , there are lots of affordable classes, from both Stock and Mod. It really depends on what classes run locally to you, your size, how far do you want to travel and your price range.

In OH, TRORA runs all Mod & Stock classes at our races. DVORA does as well at most of their races in Eastern PA & NJ. The NE crew has kind of a hybrid class that seems to work very well for them. In IN, IOA runs all Mod with some selected Stock classes. In MI, MHRA is all Stock with some selected Mod classes. To the South, CVRA runs all Mod & Stock.

The best advice is to get with a local veteran and work through what you want. If 300 is the best fit, great. If not, there are plenty of other classes that you can have just as much fun in. A Rookie can do just as well in 500MH as 300 - better even. I know a guy who took a used 500 rig and a lot of testing and in about a year went from a lap behind to battling for a podium finish.

Hope this helps.
                    Brian
                    Last edited by Brian10s; 11-21-2018, 06:22 AM.
                    Brian 10s

Comment

Dave,from what you are saying,do not buy anything until you get in a rig at a drivers school.At the end of your test session,you will know if this SO is for you.As far as "B" or 20SSH,the money spent is going to be in the ball park as 300SSH.If you want to have fun,do not worry about your weight in a certain class,you can still have fun finishing in 12th. place.

Comment

Dave,
                        Don't get discouraged once you go into that first turn and meet the Awesome people like I have you will realize it was worth it. The engine availability situation has been a issue for a long time as far as I know and has been my biggest complaint. I currently have 2 302'S that I race and 2 321'S on order I don't need them all nor can afford them ( I just bought a 40 acre farm ). As soon as I get the new engines I will make one available to you at whatever it costs me. Maybe I missed it from a earlier post but how about some Technical information about you. Age, weight, experience. What Classes are you interested in ?
                        Stay positive it's so worth it.

Comment

Working...
                        X