Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaination of classes to a newbe..

Hello all!
    I'm a newbe to this site and am looking for some help in direction...
    I test props as an Independant for most all manufacturers, mainly on V6 outboards and have been a Marine tech-mostly engines-for several years, and I'm wanting to get into some racing.
    I have some plans for some older designs (late 50's, early 60's) such as the Airmarine hydro, and I'm wanting to try my hand at this...
    I'm also an aircraft mechanic and have quite a bit of experience in composites, and was wondering if any of this experience could be used to build a better Hydro than the older designs in all wood, and even what class if allowed, would a guy run in????
    I know...lots of questions, but I was hoping to discuss this with those of you in the know.
    Thanks for your time!
    Kenny
    Sanderson Propeller

Kenny, It's nice to have some new blood in the sport. I will tell you, that you are on the right track with the composite material. The two people that I would send you to for the info are Dave Bennett in St. Augustine, Fl., and Bob Trolian in Kentucky. Matt Arlt in Canada is an other source. These guys are the best it the business. Good luck.

Jerry

Comment

Classes . . .

goto--> http://www.apba-racing.com/Home.html

Click on "catagories" then click on "outboards" and/or "stock modified PRO" and also check out "J Class" if you have young `uns interested in racing.

As Jerry mentioned above, those folks have experiance wiuth composites. Bob Trolian built fiberglass hulls with balsacore. Matt Arlt built race boats using carbon fiber! Very light and strong. But most of the boats are still wood and epoxy glue. Wood is easy to work with. Wood boats can be built with no special equipment, and with good plans (MJR) or kits a total amatuer can put together a decent boat.
      carpetbagger

Comment

classes.....

OK, Thanks guys!
        So, if I read correctly, the minumum boat weight is boat ready to fly before the weight of driver.....is this correct???
        Also, I may have over-looked something, but I didn't see a breakdown of regions...If I'm in N.W. Kansas, what region am I considered to be in???
        I'm not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here...
        I'm straight east of Denver, Co, at 180mi. and straight west of K.C. at 390mi.
        KS
        Sanderson Propeller

Comment

boat weight . . .

In stock and MOD the "boat weight" is your boat, motor, you and all your safety gear on the scale. Boats are weighed after the final heat with you in it. I raced 15ssH (now called BSH) when the boat weight was 350#. My rig with Hot Rod 15 weighed 142#, the rest being my skinny butt, saftey gear, and about 5# of lead. Drivers add lead to make minimum weight.

The PRO catagory doesn't have a minimum weight for the boats. If you run a stock CSH you can toss the lead out and run it in OSY-400 PRO class!
          carpetbagger

Comment

according to the region map posted by our admin, Dan . ..

you're in region 16. Methinks you'll be headed east to pick up most races. The APBA website has a race schedule so by using Mapquest you'll be able to plot the locations.

Suggestion: Go light. No huge trailer, just enough to carry your stuff `cause racing involves long road trips.
            carpetbagger

Comment

Thanks again..

For the help...
              I'm sure I'll have some questions as I'm working on "Re-designing" my Airmarine...at least that's the first project lined up...
              engine choice will be tuff for me...I'm a die-hard omc nut, although I do have a few pumped Mercs under my belt...I'll look into researching that as I go...
              Sanderson Propeller

Comment

Omaha

One of the closest races for you to visit would be Omaha, NE over Memorial Week end. It would be worth the trip just to check out our sport. The race will be a PRO, USTS, race. Lots of fast action and a great drivers party too.
                If you want to fly, the course is next to the airport at Levi Carter Park, and course is actually in Iowa in Carter Lake. (Which is a little Iowa city in the middle of Omaha). ..us midwesterners, have nothing else to do but confuse people.
                You can hang out in our pits if you want. It will be a fun education.
                Connie

Comment

Closest races to you

We race a little in MN
                  Nbra races in Ok
                  Burly Idaho still a race?
                  Find a "local" club and see what classes are strong. Better yet find a racer to hang with and next thing you know your racin.
                  Had a good friend from Co would make all of our Midwest races in MN.
                  let me know if I can be of any help.
                  Steve

Comment

On the APBA site you can find a map of the regions by going to "Race Schedule" and then clicking 'Click here to Select Region'.

A map of the US pops up showing the regions.

http://www.apba-racing.com/RaceSchedule.php?RegSel=

Welcome!
                    APBA website news
                    http://www.apba-racing.com

Comment

Help....

I can see this site if full of helpful people...thank you all!
                      I have a Son in Omaha, so that looks to be a sure bet there.
                      Steve, your Buddy in colorado wouldn't by chance be one of the McCunes would it??? I do some prop buisness with them, and my Father was part of their pit crew a "long" time ago, racing F-1 Tunnels, I believe it was....GT115 class maybe???
                      Sanderson Propeller

Comment

'Nother stupid question....

My project boat, the Airmarine, used to be run with a merc 75 H...
                        the boat is around 270lbs without an engine, the boat is 11-1/2ft long, and I'm a skinny 240lbs.
                        My question would be; Which class will be best suited to me (if this boat is even legal) and what engine should I be looking for?????
                        I would be lying if I said I could jump in and go...I have an 18ft alum built for a 115 with a worked 200 Rude on it that I do my prop testing with, and have found the full limits of that combination, but haven't reached the point of "fear" yet (In that boat...).
                        If someone could maybe point me in the right direction for a powerplant for this rig, and give me an Idea as to what class I'm going to be looking at for a Novice Hydro pilot, I think I can quit bothering you for now and make some plans....I don't mind bringing up the rear until I can gain some experience in how everything works.
                        Stock seems an obvious choice, but can I run a boat this size without being lapped on the "first" lap????
                        Sorry for so many questions, but I think everyone here has felt that "Need for excessive speed"...I just want to get started..
                        Thanks.
                        p.s., the info I have on the Airmarine says it was run in "F" class..???? Obviously that class has been changed to something else???
                        Last edited by walleyehed; 12-20-2005, 12:36 AM.
                        Sanderson Propeller

Comment

those are pleasure boats . . .

not race boats that would fit into any stock/MOD/PRO class. Browse this site for photos of race boats to get an idea of what we use.
                          carpetbagger

Comment

In an earlier post you mentioned you are an OMC nut. I'm quite sure the OMC 45ss is used for F class. I was told a while back that Sid Bass (360) 373-3839 is a contact for a tower housing and lower unit. I think the 45 ci powerhead from the 80's is the one to go with. Others on this site will know more if you post questions regarding OMC. If you want to race that rig, I would first check to see that there is this class in your region.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Huson
                              not race boats that would fit into any stock/MOD/PRO class. Browse this site for photos of race boats to get an idea of what we use.
                              With all due respect, re-read my post....I've searched this site and viewed every video clip listed since the site was started, and the Airmarine is not only a kneel-down, it's the predecessor of what looks like most out there. They ran a Merc 75 H on Methanol on this boat.
                              I simply listed my 18ft alum with the worked 200 to give an Idea to all what experience I had in general...No intensions of racing the aluminum although I haven't found a Bassboat yet that can pass me.
                              Sanderson Propeller

Comment

Working...
                              X