No announcement yet.

Stock Outboard Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually high test takes longer to lite but once it does the flame travel is about the same as reg. AV gas on the other hand has a slower flame travel then automotive gas as its designed to burn in a motor that only turns 3000 rpms max plus its designed for high alitudes. As far as legal gas I had to dump all the mixed gas that I brought from home at the Nats as it wouldnt pass the fuel test and it was nothing but pump Shell high test.
    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Check the pump tags on Shell, Gordon . . .

I believe high test shell is gasohol - contians ethanol.
      carpetbagger

Comment

Bill there is nothing on the pumps stating it gasohal just says V Power but could be oxenated for summer use then goes back to reg gas after a certain date I know around alot of big cities the oil companys in the summer oxenate the gas for emissions.
        Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Gas Stories...............

Once upon a time in a far away land in Michigan there was an event call the Wakefield Nationals.................at this event a good friend of mine and mentor, Bill 'RACER' Giles won the BSH feature but fell victim to the evil fuel meter and his case wound up in front of the Commission that day of which I was a member. The leader of the evil empire, Edgar Rose, pulled out a little homemade weedwacker looking engine that he wanted to use for demonstration purposes to see if indeed this 'brew' was performance enhancing!! After using a base fuel(s) ( Jon Stone's & Leigh Furnal's gas) to show us morons the rpm's of the weedwacker, Edgar then dipped the fuel line in Racer Giles fuel and low and behold it picked up 400 rpm and really screamed!! My mind was made up at that point that the fuel was tainted and was performance enhancing and we held up the DQ.......... Later a appeal was filed and months later the sample was found inconclusive and I believe Racer Giles was re-instated but I thought Edgars little machine was very appropriate for the moment.................

It would have loved to seen it used at Dayton!

Food for thought.
          Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Shell orSunoco?

Gordon: I forget, and lately I don't dare look at the gas pu,p when fueling my truck. I just punch the "cheapest available" button and squirt the juice in the tank. But when racing I know there was one major brand with alcohol. And some of the off-brands have alcohol as well.

Matt: I was on the commission the year Dave Hammond showed up at the Wakefield Nats with the super meter. I seem to recall more'n seven fuel protest meetings on day one, and that was just a sample of the ones who got booted for hinky fuel. Oh the screaming and wailing . . . I also recall one gentleman's fuel dissolved the "gas proof" plastic container!
            carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112
              Is this more accurate Sam?
              Isn't it also true that a higher octane fuel does burn slower? Something about flame propagation?
              Mike
              http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthi...a070401a_2.htm
              Not much better. The key error each of these attempts is the fact that during "detonation", combustion is started normally by the spark plug and then becomes abnormal when a second flame front starts and collides with the first. The two main ingredients in detonation are pressure and combustion chamber shape.

Preignition is a different event, described by the flame starting before the spark plug fires. Because the flame starts too soon there is a similar knock sound when the flame hits the piston before it has started to go down

It is not true that higher octane fuel burns slower ... the only thing higher octane rated fuel does is resist knock (the 2 flame front condition) at higher pressure

If you find the right link on that page (Bruce Hamilton's information) I think you will get the most detailed and accurate information available. It has been a while since I read Mr. Hamilton's articles, but I do keep them on file for reference
              Last edited by sam; 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe J
                To my knowledge, the normal measuring tools used cannot tell the difference between regular pump gas, av-gas, and full on race gas. Using the above statement , any driver who's gas reads a large negative number would then be subject to a DQ. Sounds like a no-win situation to me

Maybe the Stock category should review and adopt the Mod rule.

It seems to me that this is a subject that needs to be brought up at the commission meeting.

Joe
                In Califorina I have not found a gas station any brand that will pass the meter. Even with the new lower setting. So we will have gas of the day where as the meter is set with gas from a certain gas station or we buy av-gas or 110 leaded race gas and mix it 50/50 with auto gas to pass the meter or run 100%. I used to run av-gas 80 octane when i used to race 40 years ago. however, do to Homeland Security many airports you need a permit to get on. Race gas out here is TRICK, ERC or Unacal etc, Note, Be careful buying race gas as some will not pass the meter. I bought 100 Octane unleaded ERC from a speed shop thinking that we did not need the Octane and it blew the meter off scale(+50). I spoke with the owner of ERC and he said NO NO NO you want 110 octane leaded. It works for me but i would just like to pull into a gas station and fill up the truck/suv & fuel jugs for the race boats. But i can't. End of story
                Last edited by bill boyes; 11-17-2005, 05:55 PM.
                bill b

Comment

Working...
                X